Rear Parking Assist Symbols Unavailable

Today I installed an OEM takeoff bumper that I had purchased on Ebay. After getting the lights and sensors re-connected after mounting the bumper, when I go into reverse I get the message on the screen "Rear Parking Assist Symbols Unavailable". Connector seems fine and tight and all sensors look connected as far as I can tell.

Does this require some sort of re-programming by the dealer by chance or am I missing something?

Recheck connections. Also, the harness can be installed backwards too.. I reinstalled the front harness backwards. if the entire system is not 100%, it’ll disable it completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, pgamboa said:

Recheck connections. Also, the harness can be installed backwards too.. I reinstalled the front harness backwards. if the entire system is not 100%, it’ll disable it completely.

It's in the same connector as the license plate light wires and those work fine.

Looks like you're right. I tried to use the sensors and harness that came with the bumper and they are not wired in the same order on the connector as the old one.

I'll have to remove both harnesses and swap them.

Does anyone know what the size is of the push mount zip ties? I'll have to cut the zip ties to swap harnesses and I'd like to do it right.

Edited by IDriveATruck

• 1 month later...

Did you ever get this figured out? 

I think I'm having a similar issue. The bumper on my truck was replaced before I got it with one that didn't have the holes for the sensors. The old sensors were still there just zip tied up behind the bumper, so I don't think the harness was ever removed.  I drilled the holes and added the plastic grommets and got 4 new sensors because the rubber insulators were all missing. I still can't get them to work. I can hear the front ones clicking when active, but no sound out of any of the rear ones. I tested for voltage on one rear connector and it has power to it. I also tested one of my new sensors in a plug in the front of the truck and I could hear it working up there, but nothing from the rear. Next step will be to test every individual rear sensor and connector, I just haven't had time yet.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be checking? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 3:30 PM, truckmann said:

Did you ever get this figured out? 

I think I'm having a similar issue. The bumper on my truck was replaced before I got it with one that didn't have the holes for the sensors. The old sensors were still there just zip tied up behind the bumper, so I don't think the harness was ever removed.  I drilled the holes and added the plastic grommets and got 4 new sensors because the rubber insulators were all missing. I still can't get them to work. I can hear the front ones clicking when active, but no sound out of any of the rear ones. I tested for voltage on one rear connector and it has power to it. I also tested one of my new sensors in a plug in the front of the truck and I could hear it working up there, but nothing from the rear. Next step will be to test every individual rear sensor and connector, I just haven't had time yet.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be checking? 

Unfortunately for you my issue was I had the wrong harness. The pinout on the connector was not the same as my original one, I almost think it was for a GMC not Chevy.

Also note... when I was adding front park assist to my truck, the harness build is very symmetrical so much that i installed it backwards.

So if the bumper/harness was removed by someone, I would recheck it for proper orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...
On 7/7/2018 at 3:12 PM, truckmann said:

Thanks for the reply. I found my issue. There was a broken wire to one of the sensors. Fixed that and the system is working now. 

I may have to check for a broken wire, my wife’s truck does the same thing and as far as I know she’s never replaced anything on the truck, but I also can’t recall if it ever worked since I’ve known her