Adding Dome Light (or something to get more interior light?)

I have a 2015 Silverado Crew, black interior carpet/doors with grey cloth seats, and at night the amount of light I get from the console map lights and courtesy lights is insufficient.  I have no dome light, though it seems that some folks do have one (option?  LTZ standard?).  Is there a way to add a dome light?  If so, can someone point me to a thread or product?  Is it prewired for one already?  

I'm willing to add aftermarket lighting, but would prefer to have a warmer white light versus cold LED blue white or blue/purple/red etc.  Just boring old light to be able to see by would be great.  I'm also nervous about cutting my headliner, but with proper instruction I can be taught (usually).  Apologies if in my searching I overlooked the obvious, but I haven't found a thread on this.

Thanks in advance for any helpful input or advice you can give!

I have a 2015 Silverado Crew, black interior carpet/doors with grey cloth seats, and at night the amount of light I get from the console map lights and courtesy lights is insufficient.  I have no dome light, though it seems that some folks do have one (option?  LTZ standard?).  Is there a way to add a dome light?  If so, can someone point me to a thread or product?  Is it prewired for one already?  

I'm willing to add aftermarket lighting, but would prefer to have a warmer white light versus cold LED blue white or blue/purple/red etc.  Just boring old light to be able to see by would be great.  I'm also nervous about cutting my headliner, but with proper instruction I can be taught (usually).  Apologies if in my searching I overlooked the obvious, but I haven't found a thread on this.

Thanks in advance for any helpful input or advice you can give!

This is the same thought I have had and haven’t found anyone that has done it.

This is a def need. What I have been looking at is a 13 Sierra or Silverado dome light. I am assuming that tapping on power front the map lights would work but if someone can chime in on that because I’m the same when it comes to this. Need usable light for the whole cab especially the console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can tap the front lights. I bought some dome lamp assemblies cheap from a cargo van that I stripped the LEDs from to repurpose as footwell lights.

If anyone is looking to add the factory connectors for the factory dome lamp, let me know as I have the connectors/terminals to make the connection as OEM as possible. [emoji6]

Then just Splice in the front.

I’ll be removing my Headliner soon and if I can make a PnP harness, I will :)

• Like 1

[mention=159655]pgamboa[/mention]. Will this work for running board lights as well? I have the lights but iIl have to too figure out how and where to connect them. 

Tapping the dome lamp would be the easiest method for a PnP harness I think. I haven’t looked into it in detail but since I am retrofitting an OEM flip down screen, it leveraged the OEM dome lamps for its lighting. So I have sourced the connectors to make a harness for it.

For me to hook both sides into that, would I have to have two separate connections?  Or would it be better to run them both to the same exact connection?

I believe from what I've been told to hook into the larger gray wires. 

Edited by BluEyeItln

For me to hook both sides into that, would I have to have two separate connections?  Or would it be better to run them both to the same exact connection?

Should be fine with an inline T-Connection. Unplug connector into the dome, plug into my harness. T-wiring comes off and goes down each side B pillar.

Now your getting ahead of my brain.  Lol

Maybe we should create a thread for this in case anyone else is looking to do the same, unless there is one that I have not found.

• Like 1

Maybe we should create a thread for this in case anyone else is looking to do the same, unless there is one that I have not found.

Most of what I do is simply because someone needs a solution and I provide it to them. :). Let me draw it up.

Here you go. Just made. Prototype 1, Rev. 0. Lol.

Unplug dome lamp harness, plug into my harness. Then plug other end of my harness into the dome lamp. You’ll have 2 pigtails coming out, one for each side of the running boards. Extend the wire and land into running board (power and ground). Plug and Play :)

d9043dee69f88708d422ca234343bd0f.jpg

97dce03fc548cfac84d06ea8480c6e8c.jpg

• Like 1

pgamboa, are you saying you've done these before, or are familiar enough with them that you already know how it's done?  IIRC (and I'm pretty new/infrequent here, usually), you already do a load of PnP harnesses for the side mirrors, etc, right?  If so, I'll assume that doing a harness for the dome light would be child's play for you.

Do you have a source for me to get a OEM dome light for a Silverado/Sierra crew cab?  I suppose I could look for it at the local junk yard, if nothing else.

• Like 1

pgamboa, are you saying you've done these before, or are familiar enough with them that you already know how it's done?  IIRC (and I'm pretty new/infrequent here, usually), you already do a load of PnP harnesses for the side mirrors, etc, right?  If so, I'll assume that doing a harness for the dome light would be child's play for you.

Do you have a source for me to get a OEM dome light for a Silverado/Sierra crew cab?  I suppose I could look for it at the local junk yard, if nothing else.

The harness I posted above is for the member looking to tie into the existing dome light for the purposes of driving running board LEDs. I’ll have to explore this further to see if circuits up front exist. As it stands, the OEM dome has 4 wires. Interior Lamp Control, Inadvertent Power Control, LED Backlight Dimming Control. I am not 100% sure what the other 2 circuits do... and maybe Inadvertent Power Control is the direct power when the button switch is used as opposed to power from when the doors are open. But all these circuits exists and the question would be how easy would be be to tap these circuits for the purposes of added the OEM dome Lamp.

I have an overhead light that's for the back seats that comes on, but no dome light that is in the center of the top.  Can y'all confirm that some '14-18 trucks have both the rear seat lights and a dome light?  Or am I adding something that was never original to these models?

• Like 1

I have searched for a dome for 14-16 models and all I find are the front maps and rear maps. Nothing for a center. The first dome I found was the dome in a 13. Cutting headliner and popping in the dome. Then can tie to front which I’m thinking is going to be the easiest as I believe there are 2 circuits. 1 for when Door opens which I want to use and one when Door is closed to give the option. If I could just get dimmer circuit and will work with door open I’ll be stoked. If I can get a switch style where it will switch on even with door closed even better.

• Like 1