Shorter antenna

I recently leveled my 2015 2500 and now my antenna drags coming into my garage. Anyone have any input regarding a shorter antenna. I’m looking for one that works well but doesn’t imply I was looking for cheap mods at Walmart and walked out with this 6” antenna to go with my browning buckmark floor mats and realtree steering wheel cover. Sorry if I offended anyone. Lol 

• Haha 1

I recently leveled my 2015 2500 and now my antenna drags coming into my garage. Anyone have any input regarding a shorter antenna. I’m looking for one that works well but doesn’t imply I was looking for cheap mods at Walmart and walked out with this 6” antenna to go with my browning buckmark floor mats and realtree steering wheel cover. Sorry if I offended anyone. Lol 

You should get the one that looks like an .308 shell then. It screams classy.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

I would be interested in a high quality antenna that doesn’t look like it came off of duck dynasty. Walmart 9.99 items accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, can't say for sure.  I experimented with shorty antennas a few years back and was never happy with them, even the more expensive ones that are supposed to work as good as a long one.  Since getting satellite radio, I don't care anymore. 

The issue is simply that proper antennae length is a function of radio wave length for best reception.  The factory long ones themselves are even a compromise and not optimal, but they do work better than short ones. 

I should also add that it matters how far you are from the transmitter too.  A short one might work great in town near where you favorite radio station is, but it will suffer out on the highway.

I imagine it's possible that modern technology has helped with the shorter ones, but you might need to do a little research to find out.  Know any local HAM radio ops?  Those guys are freakin antennae geniuses and could probably help you out.

Edited by EDL
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Waaazooo said:

You should get the one that looks like an .308 shell then. It screams classy.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

I would be interested in a high quality antenna that doesn’t look like it came off of duck dynasty. Walmart 9.99 items accepted.

Lol. Maybe I’ll just snip the end off and jam a carbon arrow over it leaving the fletching up top. 

5 minutes ago, jwc10400 said:

I use my FM for the morning ride to work. Otherwise it’s all XM for me. HAM radio ops? You have me stumped, EDL. 

HAM operators are "amateur radio operators" that buy transmitters and gear to talk on the various radio bands set aside by the FCC for its use.  Many HAMs still use morse code and also voice.  It requires a license and is tightly controlled.  This is in no way like buying a CB radio or those little hunting walkie talkies from Walmart.  It's a huge (and expensive) hobby the world over.  I say they are antenna geniuses because many of them build their own.  Depending on the band they like to operate in, some of them can span 100 yards or more in the case of a dipole. 

I have a good friend that I grew up with that has been a diehard HAM op since I've known him.  I was actually in the process of studying and getting my license as well, but lost interest in it.  I've helped him string dipole antennas that reached across several neighbor's properties (with permission).  He can literally chat all around the world on only about 2-3 watts of radio power on the right band and atmospherics. 

• Like 1

Lol. Maybe I’ll just snip the end off and jam a carbon arrow over it leaving the fletching up top. 

Stahhhhp, I’m offended.

I put an antenna inside of the A pillar of my daughters car because her OEM sucked so bad and it works twice as good as the OEM mast. I’m not sure the quality of the whip. But if a shorty is of better quality I can see a shorter one working out better. The key is, how effective is that wire wound ship. I think it’s pretty good, maybe not stellar but that would advocate the attempt of a good short mast. Maybe off of the Subaru’s, my Subaru could get radio signals from 80 miles away. Hilltop to hilltop (I assume).

I had to shorten my antenna to fit in the garage. Pulled tip off, chopped 1.5 ". Reinstalled tip, works great.

Edited by JD110

I put one on that is about the size of a .50 M2 round.  I live rural and there has been some degradation of some stations, but overall nothing major.  Well worth it not having the antenna hit the top of the garage entry door.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0152KPCNC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a stubby antenna from Auto Zone for the same reasons. I lost a little bit of FM reception in rural areas, but it's not really a concern for me because 90% of my listening is XM radio or bluetooth from my phone. For long, out of state trips, I'll just put the factory one back on. 

• Like 1