first time looking at travel trailers

We, and by we i mean my wife, have decided we should start looking at travel trailers for when we upgrade my truck in the next two years.  Being new at this i have been looking a many models online and have a question about the weights.   if the trailer is listed at 3500 dry weight and 4500 gvw that gives it a cargo capacity of 1000 lbs.   is that cargo capacity only an issue while towing? by that i mean if you have your gear and four people you could easily go over that parked.

The trailer you describe will be easily pulled while carrying your family of four by any current model sierra/silverado 1500.  The payload of your new truck will be posted inside the driver's door.  This is the weight you can safely carry.  (passengers, gear, trailer tongue weight etc.) Your payload will likely be over 1500 lbs and the tongue weight of the trailer you are describing will only be around 400 lbs.  My '15 Sierra has the base motor (V6) and it is rated to pull 7,000 lbs.  

I now understand what you are asking and I would say the weight limit applies to when the trailer is being towed.  No need for suspension travel when the trailer is stationary.  You will also have stabilizer jacks in position while parked.  The wheels and jacks will serve as a rigid foundation for your home away from home!

Shopping for a trailer is a challenging experience and it's helpful to be as informed as possible prior to purchase.  We didn't want to over-invest our limited retirement funds on our new trailer in case we didn't warm up to the RV lifestyle. We compromised on size and now have some regrets.  We love  RVing so far and wish we went with a little larger trailer.  When you buy your new truck,  make sure it will comfortably handle a larger trailer than the one you have mentioned.  You may find that your wife's idea has a lot of merit and you may decide to super-size that new trailer in the near future!  

• Like 1

if she convinses me to go the trailer route we will be looking at 3/4 ton trucks, i would much rather have more truck than needed for the trailer.   as for the trailer numbers, those were just for the example, not based on actual spec.   Probably looking at 24-27ft trailers

Your research will reveal a lot of discussion on the 1/2 ton 3/4 ton choice.  GM and Ford offer 1/2 tons with optional tow and payload capabilities that are more than adequate for the larger trailers.  3/4 ton trucks  are great but not nearly as economical as a 1/2 ton when used as a daily driver.  Once you take ownership of a 2014+ GM 1500 you will be astounded by the increased power  and reduced fuel consumption  over your '03.

• Like 1

My family business used 5th wheel campers for many years for working out of town. I would advise people to rent one a few times before pulling the trigger. I’m retired now and the last thing I would call fun would be hauling one of those around. Some people love the lifestyle, there’s a lot to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My family business used 5th wheel campers for many years for working out of town. I would advise people to rent one a few times before pulling the trigger. I’m retired now and the last thing I would call fun would be hauling one of those around. Some people love the lifestyle, there’s a lot to it.

You're right that there's a lot to it!  It can also be quite a costly venture so renting is a good suggestion. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KARNUT said:

That is in my plan, once we pull the trigger on a new truck.  Still have a kid in daycare, one more year, so have a little bit of time.