Antenna

JMW

Question

Hi, I am a new owner of a beautiful 2016 GMC Canyon diesel. It is a crew-cab with a roof mounted antenna. This may be the age old question, but is there a good quality aftermarket antenna shorter than the OEM that still provides good reception? I'm sure I'm overreacting , but it's a little unsettling hearing your antenna bump the bottom of the open garage door. Thanks! Jim  

5 answers to this question

Yep. I have one. Didn't notice any difference in radio reception quality. Only $25.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Colorado-2015-2018-Installs-Resistant/dp/B00PCO9VS6

Also, this forum is not as active for the midsize trucks. Come join us over at Coloradofans.com. its very active among the 2015-2018 Colorado/Canyon crowd.

Edited by fondupot

In general, shorter antenna will result in limited receiver sensitivity primarily on the FM frequencies.  However, if the FM stations are within a few miles of your location it may not be noticeable.  The factory antenna is already a compromised because of its limited size. 

Edited by tedlaw

On 8/6/2018 at 9:09 PM, JMW said:

Hi, I am a new owner of a beautiful 2016 GMC Canyon diesel. It is a crew-cab with a roof mounted antenna. This may be the age old question, but is there a good quality aftermarket antenna shorter than the OEM that still provides good reception? I'm sure I'm overreacting , but it's a little unsettling hearing your antenna bump the bottom of the open garage door. Thanks! Jim  

I have the same one as FONDUPOT on a 17 Canyon, love it.

There are actually 2 major components to the rooftop antenna system. They are the rubbery mast antenna, which is about 11" long and screws into the mounting base. Then there's the mounting base itself, which is held in place by a single nut inside the cab between the headliner and roof metal.

The oem antenna mast provides acceptable levels of FM reception in most areas, and can bend approximately 70 degrees when hitting an obstacle. But it hits too hard, or bends over too far, it can internally break near the threads which screw into the base and render the antenna electrically open.

Replacement masts are commonly available for about $30.00, but mostly they just replicate the reception provided with the oem mast, with no improvement in signal dB gain.

The real problem area is in the base. If the mast contacts an obstacle hard enough, the base can be damaged and you'll notice the loss of radio reception AND the compass indication, or you'll see a "CAL" indicator at the compass position on the DIC.

There are 2 major IC's mounted on a circuit board within the base, and if any damage is done to the interface, circuit board, or chips, the base would have to be replaced.

Base Cost is about $130.00, maybe more. But labor to replace is a real pain in the ...., requiring special tools, removal of inside panels and most of the headliner, and taking 2-3 hours if you know what your doing.

If the headliner is damaged, repair costs get tripled or quadrupled, so I suggest taking it to a dealer if the base has to be replaced.

Hope this helps ...