Posted (edited)

I always wondered what was quicker on my truck at the track. Brake stalling it or launching the truck off idle. Now keep in mind my truck does have an aftermarket Circle D 3200 stall and a ProCharger. When I tested this on the street via logging the truck it seemed stalling it up to 3200 was faster that leaving off idle. My truck stalled up leaves on 5psi of boost. Off idle it flashes to 3500 rpm and hits the same 5psi of boost. Well I finally tested it at the track and I was quite surprised. Both passes were ran the same with an hour of sitting to cool down before running it and launched in 4wd even made both passes in the same lane. Here are the results.

5b6e5a6499ca8_20180810_232851_resized424.thumb.jpg.40fd21f00ac3f67431062d0a2f1243f1.jpg

Idle on the left and stalled up on the right. As you can see pretty much identical. Leaving off idle is a lot less wear and tear on the powertrain than stalling it up. I think from now on I will be leaving off idle. BTW it was pretty miserable at the track if you can see with the times lol.

Edited by Gorske

Wow. Thats interesting, I would have thought stalled up with your setup would be the winner for sure.

Look at the reaction time ...that's the difference right there. Yes all the times are the same because they are based off when the beams are broken at the takeoff. If you were racing from an idle you would definitely not get the "Hole-shot" on your competitor. You could hit the throttle earlier on one of the red lights and hope it is consistent. Definitely easier to consistantly "cut a good light" lifting off the brake from a torqued up engine.

My TBSS had a better 60 off idle than stalled up.  Others saw similar results. A lot of potential answers like poss pulling timing....don't really know why.  Always impressed seeing your truck in action.  

• Like 1