Aftermarket Parts and your truck

TXGREEK

https://jalopnik.com/the-world-of-aftermarket-car-parts-is-confusing-and-dan-1795732701

I’ll never buy an aftermarket part on eBay that could endanger my life or my families. I only buy 100% American made aftermarket parts from legit distributors with proof of being American Made [emoji631].

Sent from above

• Like 1

.. you get what you pay for. I will buy offshore parts in some cases but for suspension I buy MOOG only. There's a reason these are guaranteed for life. Do a side by side comparison and the quality/design differences are obvious - most cases they are superior to OEM imo

10 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

https://jalopnik.com/the-world-of-aftermarket-car-parts-is-confusing-and-dan-1795732701

I’ll never buy an aftermarket part on eBay that could endanger my life or my families. I only buy 100% American made aftermarket parts from legit distributors with proof of being American Made emoji631.png.

Sent from above

I believe we all share this sentiment with respect to safety.  Most will also appreciate that the cost or country of manufacture is not a guarantee of safety and quality.  I will always opt for Canadian or American items if the choice is reasonable but often the price of an item is higher for political (not quality) reasons.  

• Like 1

I believe we all share this sentiment with respect to safety.  Most will also appreciate that the cost or country of manufacture is not a guarantee of safety and quality.  I will always opt for Canadian or American items if the choice is reasonable but often the price of an item is higher for political (not quality) reasons.  

My first choice is American made product and second after thorough inspection of product and of reviews would be Canadian. America’s very strict manufacturing laws. Political, maybe but I myself have purchased nothing but made in America for my vehicles for a very, very long time.

Sent from above

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I will always opt for Canadian or American items if the choice is reasonable but often the price of an item is higher for political (not quality) reasons.  

Thanks for not leaving us Syrup suckers out of it, we can produce some high quality parts up here when we can keep warm enough to work. 

I am the same way with suspension/steering/braking parts, always OEM or above OEM quality. A friend of mine had lost a wheel from a bad ball joint, he said it was the scariest couple seconds of his driving career getting the truck pulled over safely. If you're going to cheap out, cheap out on non-safety items like speakers or off-road lighting. Another area people often overlook is aftermarket wheels. Many of the cheaper Chinese produced wheels have half or less the rating of a stock or quality aftermarket piece. I had a set of KMC XD series spy wheels on my 2010 and was pretty upset to see made in China + a hub-centric "adapter" to make them "specific" to the Sierra/Silverado. I had no issues with them but still lacking in quality and safety IMO. Don't go throwing 24's on your 2500 and think they will still meet a factory 3500lb payload capacity without checking the ratings. The manufacture is required to have an adequate certified wheel, the aftermarket does not care if they are reducing the ability of your vehicle. It is your own duty to ensure you are purchasing quality parts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Thanks for not leaving us Syrup suckers out of it, we can produce some high quality parts up here when we can keep warm enough to work. 

It is your own duty to ensure you are purchasing quality parts.

FYI Older igloos are harder to keep warm.  Loose, fresh snow provides better insulation...    " It is your own duty to ensure you are purchasing quality parts." are wise words.  Don't be lulled into a false sense of confidence or dismiss a product because of where it was made.  If there is a choice to buy local of equal or better quality then definitely local is the preferred choice!

FYI Older igloos are harder to keep warm.  Loose, fresh snow provides better insulation...    " It is your own duty to ensure you are purchasing quality parts." are wise words.  Don't be lulled into a false sense of confidence or dismiss a product because of where it was made.  If there is a choice to buy local of equal or better quality then definitely local is the preferred choice!

Local is great to support your state. America has very strict manufacturing regulations versus Canada especially in the steel industry. Daily, my overseas customers inform us that no made in China metals are to be brought onboard the ships we’re servicing as well as many contractual agreements for further sales with zero made in China steel. Most my customers even want proof of ABS certification proving American made. American made products are #1, Period.

Sent from above

46 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Local is great to support your state. America has very strict manufacturing regulations versus Canada especially in the steel industry. Daily, my overseas customers inform us that no made in China metals are to be brought onboard the ships we’re servicing as well as many contractual agreements for further sales with zero made in China steel. Most my customers even want proof of ABS certification proving American made. American made products are #1, Period.

Sent from above

I am a proud Canadian and you are a proud American. I went to school in Oregon.  My grandchildren were born and are being raised in Texas.  I spend a lot of time travelling in US and Canada.  I honestly could never make a blanket statement that one of these two countries is better than the other in regards to product quality.  You reference Canada's steel industry by talking about steel from China.  Issues with foreign steel products have been in the Canadian and US news.  I don't recall any news about quality differences between Canadian and US steel.  The disputes have been in the political, not quality, arena.

• Like 1

I am a proud Canadian and you are a proud American. I went to school in Oregon.  My grandchildren were born and are being raised in Texas.  I spend a lot of time travelling in US and Canada.  I honestly could never make a blanket statement that one of these two countries is better than the other in regards to product quality.  You reference Canada's steel industry by talking about steel from China.  Issues with foreign steel products have been in the Canadian and US news.  I don't recall any news about quality differences between Canadian and US steel.  The disputes have been in the political, not quality, arena.

I’m about quality control, the US has strict quality control on “ALL” industrial manufacturing within the US. Heavy equipment steel is not desired from Canada but from America. The politics about it is that American Steel is being sent to Canada for production of goods at a low to no tax cost and then sent back to America as finished products at approximately 20% plus at the cost of Americans. That’s the end of that. Canada is beautiful but the politics are horrendous but that’s a discussion on another forum. All in all, not judging Canadians, just the surplus of products manufactured outside America.

Sent from above

I’m very happy to see the effort being made to balance trade. There very little in the news that this is the first leader in many years is going to lose net worth instead of gain in service to his country. I think most people realize there’s nothing to gain long term if the unbalanced trade is used to strengthen our advisories. China especially. The same people are saying the same thing about this president that was said about Reagan. Now of course they say he one of the greatest. History is going to say the same about the current president.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

America has very strict manufacturing regulations versus Canada especially in the steel industry. 

Sent from above

I don't think i would go as far as to say that. You guys buy 80% of our steel exports and stamp Made in USA on the products you make with it, so it can't be too bad. If a steel product has a Made in Canada sticker, the steel was made here and is some of the best in the world. Ground engaging tools made here ARE the best on Earth and have to be because of our rocky geography and cold climates, and you don't make good buckets with bad steel.  

As far as "strict manufacturing regs vs. Canada" what do you mean by that statement? Your AR700 plate is better than Canadian AR700 plate? Kind of like how USA Gold and Silver is .999% pure but Canadian gold/silver is .9999% pure? Enlighten me. Not to be a douche and get off topic but... 

I don't think i would go as far as to say that. You guys buy 80% of our steel exports and stamp Made in USA on the products you make with it, so it can't be too bad. If a steel product has a Made in Canada sticker, the steel was made here and is some of the best in the world. Ground engaging tools made here ARE the best on Earth and have to be because of our rocky geography and cold climates, and you don't make good buckets with bad steel.  

As far as "strict manufacturing regs vs. Canada" what do you mean by that statement? Your AR700 plate is better than Canadian AR700 plate? Kind of like how USA Gold and Silver is .999% pure but Canadian gold/silver is .9999% pure? Enlighten me. Not to be a douche and get off topic but... 

That’s something you lol need to look into, not I. American Steel is being shipped to Canada for production of mostly stamped parts to be resent back to America and taxed at a ridiculously much higher taxation towards Americans. My customers from all over the world 1st pick is USA [emoji631] PRODUCTS as well as ALL my aftermarket parts on my vehicles minus my damn Fuel wheels that I just found out were made in China and depending on my future scheduling will be dealt with lol.

Sent from above
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2018 at 4:25 AM, STRMTRPR said:

.. you get what you pay for. I will buy offshore parts in some cases but for suspension I buy MOOG only. There's a reason these are guaranteed for life. Do a side by side comparison and the quality/design differences are obvious - most cases they are superior to OEM imo

I agree. :thumbs: