Stabilitrack Light and quick loss of power after hitting bump

About a month ago I was pulling into the hospital, my son was sick, we were looking for the ER entrance, going about 10 MPH and didn't notice 3 speed bumps all in a row, 12 inches apart. Hit them at around 10 and obviously it gave the truck a good shaking.  The truck turned off and the service stabilitrak light came on. I turned it back on and everything seemed fine.  I thought it was weird but was preoccupied.  (my son was/is fine)

anyway but to yesterday I had forgotten about this incident and was driving down the road and hit a few patched potholes, nothing major but it jarred the truck a little and for a split second I felt like I lost power steering and the service stabilitrack message came and went very quick.

Do I have a loose sensor somewhere?

Could this have to do with the EPS recall?

thanks, 

• 4 weeks later...

I have not. I went about a month with nothing happening, then I drove over a railroad track and had the message flash real quick and I think the steering got tight for a split second.  I need to get under there this weekend to see if a speed sensor is loose.   I also need to hit the dealer for the power steering software recall flash, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

So Sunday I found that the negative battery cable was loose. I tightened it and figured that was my problem. Car was fine yesterday, even when I hit the railroad tracks I cross on my commute, but when I drove over them today the same thing happened. split second loss of power, stabiltrack light, radio resets to 87.7 FM, all my presets disapear then 2 seconds later they all come back.

I am now wondering if it is a ground wire

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, emeryz28 said:

About a month ago I was pulling into the hospital, my son was sick, we were looking for the ER entrance, going about 10 MPH and didn't notice 3 speed bumps all in a row, 12 inches apart. Hit them at around 10 and obviously it gave the truck a good shaking.  The truck turned off and the service stabilitrak light came on. I turned it back on and everything seemed fine.  I thought it was weird but was preoccupied.  (my son was/is fine)

anyway but to yesterday I had forgotten about this incident and was driving down the road and hit a few patched potholes, nothing major but it jarred the truck a little and for a split second I felt like I lost power steering and the service stabilitrack message came and went very quick.

Do I have a loose sensor somewhere?

Could this have to do with the EPS recall?

thanks, 

Glad your son is okay...yeah sounds like a loose ground somewhere and you might even want to re-check the battery terminals again.

I know there is a problematic ground wire under the dash near the speaker on the drivers side, but is there a large ground wire somewhere in the engine compartment near the battery?  anyone know the exact location?

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

My 2015 Tahoe does this same thing over big bumps. I found this thread and he even included a GM Service advisory on the ground wire on the driver side dash, it's deep in the corner under the windshield. I did it yesterday myself and it wasn't a major issue. The insulation was exactly how they said it would look like. Dash went back on no problem as well. Here is the link with all the info you need and make sure this applies to your year/model vehicle. This guy did major homework and really provided all the info to get the job done.