another post on lane departure warning

My 2019 Sierra SLT Lane Departure Warning

doesn't seem to be working right - here is the GM description of it's operation

1• When a left or right lane marking is detected, a green icon is displayed

2• If you let your vehicle drift over a detected lane marking without intentionally steering or using your turn signal, this icon turns amber and the system provides brief steering wheel inputs to help guide you back into your lane; this can be easily overridden with normal steering

3• If lane drifting still occurs, the Lane Departure Warning system will flash the amber icon; in addition, the Safety Alert Seat pulses on the left or right side.

my issue is on #3 - when the amber icon flashes, my seat seldom pulses - my 2014 - Z71 seat pulsed EVERY time l crossed a lane marking unintentionally which really gets your attention

I'm wondering if all the 2019's have the seldom pulsing seat like mine or do they normally pulse every time the amber icon flashes. 

gmc sierra.jpg

Edited by desert

I have an “18” Sierra Denali and for what it’s worth, in my truck, the lane assist feature only vibrates the seat only after the vehicle has strayed outside the lines.  The seat vibration does not necessarily correspond with the yellow indicator.

I know my seat vibrator works well because the Park Assist feature makes it vibrate constantly when pulling into my garage.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:44 AM, JohnEaton54 said:

I have an “18” Sierra Denali and for what it’s worth, in my truck, the lane assist feature only vibrates the seat only after the vehicle has strayed outside the lines.  The seat vibration does not necessarily correspond with the yellow indicator.

I know my seat vibrator works well because the Park Assist feature makes it vibrate constantly when pulling into my garage.

thank you - lt sounds like the system on your 2018 works like mine did in my 2014 - provided there was a decent painted line, the the seat would vibrate damn near every time you got close to leaving your lane - worked good -.................. Now for 2019 GM added a steering assist feature to the lane departure warning system - as one approaches closely to the painted line, the indicator light turns yellow and the truck will steer itself back into the lane, which works roughly 8 out of 10 times - if the truck manages to cross the painted line the seat will vibrate about 10% of the time - if GM would do a software upgrade to have the seat alert when the indicator light turns yellow the system would be far more effective - as it is, under certain indeterminable conditions the system does nothing - ( my seat vibrator works well because the Park Assist feature makes it vibrate constantly when pulling into my garage as well) 

On 11/25/2018 at 5:21 PM, desert said:

thank you - lt sounds like the system on your 2018 works like mine did in my 2014 - provided there was a decent painted line, the the seat would vibrate damn near every time you got close to leaving your lane - worked good -.................. Now for 2019 GM added a steering assist feature to the lane departure warning system - as one approaches closely to the painted line, the indicator light turns yellow and the truck will steer itself back into the lane, which works roughly 8 out of 10 times - if the truck manages to cross the painted line the seat will vibrate about 10% of the time - if GM would do a software upgrade to have the seat alert when the indicator light turns yellow the system would be far more effective - as it is, under certain indeterminable conditions the system does nothing - ( my seat vibrator works well because the Park Assist feature makes it vibrate constantly when pulling into my garage as well) 

I thought I had the same problem and it turns out there’s no problem. It just works differently than earlier lane departure warning systems. So to be sure what I was reading was correct, I tested it on the road. If LKA has to correct lane departure more than twice, the safety seat alert will activate in the 3rd lane departure unless the system detects the driver actively steering. If the vehicle doesn’t have LKA, then the lane departure warning will activate every time lane departure occurs. Hope this helps, but I don’t suggest testing it unless you’re an excellent driver and no one else is in the road. ?

10 minutes ago, JKD said:

I thought I had the same problem and it turns out there’s no problem. It just works differently than earlier lane departure warning systems. So to be sure what I was reading was correct, I tested it on the road. If LKA has to correct lane departure more than twice, the safety seat alert will activate in the 3rd lane departure unless the system detects the driver actively steering. If the vehicle doesn’t have LKA, then the lane departure warning will activate every time lane departure occurs. Hope this helps, but I don’t suggest testing it unless you’re an excellent driver and no one else is in the road. ?

that makes perfect sense and certainly explains why my system with LKA seldom vibrates my seat ----- my complaint is that even though the LKA works remarkable well, it doesn't prevent the vehicle from leaving the lane every single time and l don't expect it to - however l did expect the seat to vibrate every time the vehicle leaves the lane - my 2014 lane depart warning without LKA seat alert went off every time l hit the painted line                                                                   

30 minutes ago, desert said:

that makes perfect sense and certainly explains why my system with LKA seldom vibrates my seat ----- my complaint is that even though the LKA works remarkable well, it doesn't prevent the vehicle from leaving the lane every single time and l don't expect it to - however l did expect the seat to vibrate every time the vehicle leaves the lane - my 2014 lane depart warning without LKA seat alert went off every time l hit the painted line                                                                   

I agree. It’s not as functional as it could be. I’m disappointed also. Seems as though the engineers pandered to the people who complained that they felt the system was over reactive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

It makes me wonder how the system performs when you actually need it.

Like in dense fog or heavy snow fall?

Any experience with it?

so long

j-ten-ner

Because it uses the front windshield camera, it performs poorly in any obstructed view such as heavy rain, snow, fog. The manual states it and says that none of the safety systems should be relied upon completely. The technology still has a way to go.

7 hours ago, JKD said:

Because it uses the front windshield camera, it performs poorly in any obstructed view such as heavy rain, snow, fog. The manual states it and says that none of the safety systems should be relied upon completely. The technology still has a way to go.

I thought it used the camera's in the side view mirrors to detect the lines on the road and when you crossed them?   Our 2016 Suburban works as stated by the original post.  The seat doesn't vibrate every time the indicator turns yellow.

2 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

I thought it used the camera's in the side view mirrors to detect the lines on the road and when you crossed them?   Our 2016 Suburban works as stated by the original post.  The seat doesn't vibrate every time the indicator turns yellow.

“A lane detection system used behind the lane departure warning system uses the principle of Hough transform and Canny edge detector to detect lane lines from realtime camera images fed from the front-end camera of the automobile.”

If the system where to incorporate the side view cameras, my assumption would be that it would be more accurate. Unfortunately, for now, not all vehicles have side view cameras so the software is universally programmed for front windshield camera only at this time. I highly doubt any manufacturer would reengineer the software until all vehicles are equipped with side view cameras. ?

19 hours ago, JKD said:

So, what's the point of having this option?

I don't need something like that for warm and sunny days.

so long

j-ten-ner

1 hour ago, j-ten-ner said:

So, what's the point of having this option?

I don't need something like that for warm and sunny days.

so long

j-ten-ner

Haha, yeah. If you live in the northern states and get a lot of snow, it’ll pretty much be useless. Also doesn’t work well facing into the sun. That’s the major problem they’ve had with autonomous vehicles; artifact and reflection issues. BTW, the dealership service manager confirmed that GM reengineered the lane departure warning to be less reactive on vehicles with LKA due to customer complaints. I agree with you though, it’s not reactive enough now especially since the LKA allows you to extend over the lane marking before correcting. ? 

22 hours ago, JKD said:

“A lane detection system used behind the lane departure warning system uses the principle of Hough transform and Canny edge detector to detect lane lines from realtime camera images fed from the front-end camera of the automobile.”

Now I know.  :)