2020 GMC CANYON ????

pjg991

Question

Does anyone know of, or has heard of any body changes to the 2020 Canyons, I am in the market for a new Denali but Im waiting on a body change. I have a 17 but do not want to buy another just like it. THANKS

6 answers to this question

For 2020, only the usual minor trim and accessory changes until the "major re-design" hits the market in 2022.

But because GM will not be providing a reliable replacement for the problematic 8 speed transmission in mid-sized trucks, I suggest you look at other makers vehicles and avoid GM.

By the way, within my extended family, a new 2019 Ford F-150 XL 5.0 liter 10-speed was purchased for LESS THAN the price of a comparable mid-sized Colorado or Canyon.

It was determined that the 8 speed transmission problems in their 2018 Canyon could not be permanently fixed, and from arbitration they were awarded "buy-back".

They paid cash for the F-150 and had some money left over. And they even liked the color ....

Also, check out the following links, maybe it will help with a purchase decision ?

https://2020pickuptrucks.com/2020-gmc-canyon/

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/future-general-motors-vehicles-products/future-gmc-vehicles-products/future-gmc-canyon/

In addition, within the Romulus Transmission plant, there is currently no production activity for the 10L45 10-speed transmission for the Colorado Canyon platform. This probably means that, regardless of the continuing 8 speed problems, there will probably be no 10 speed option until the redesign in 2022.

Members of the production staff at Romulus tell me that new production capability is being aimed toward the 10L90 transmission, and on the new Allison 10 speed for the 2500 and 3500 Silverado series.

If you are still considering a 2020, it's my opinion that all you'll find is a 2019.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:05 AM, OldChevyNut said:

Also, check out the following links, maybe it will help with a purchase decision ?

https://2020pickuptrucks.com/2020-gmc-canyon/

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/future-general-motors-vehicles-products/future-gmc-vehicles-products/future-gmc-canyon/

In addition, within the Romulus Transmission plant, there is currently no production activity for the 10L45 10-speed transmission for the Colorado Canyon platform. This probably means that, regardless of the continuing 8 speed problems, there will probably be no 10 speed option until the redesign in 2022.

Members of the production staff at Romulus tell me that new production capability is being aimed toward the 10L90 transmission, and on the new Allison 10 speed for the 2500 and 3500 Silverado series.

If you are still considering a 2020, it's my opinion that all you'll find is a 2019.

This is exactly the info I've been searching for. I'm also considering a purchase but I am wary of the dreaded 8-speed. I was hoping they would announce for the 2020 that they are bringing out the 10 speed or better yet bringing back the 6 speed for gas. I'm glad to hear you have some inside info. My current plan is to try and find a 2016 in Emerald Green Gem. I've read the 6 speeds in those can be fixed with a software update and they are the best. Since the color is so rare, I'm having a hard time finding them. So I'm still looking forward to the official release of the 2020 to see if they might bring that color back. (I doubt it) If they do I might still risk the 8 speed to get the color. haha. For me a full size is not on the table. I've rented an F150, Colorado, and Tacoma. Handling, size, and ride quality can't be beat from the GM twin mid size. I really enjoyed riding in it, of course it was a fairly new rental and it had the shudder. 

I have had a 2015 SLT and  currently a 2017 Denali, the 15 had a six speed and the 17 has an eight speed. I am one satisfied owner who has not had to visit the service department for anything but oil changes, the transmissions in both vehicles operated smoothly, rarely feeling the shift points.  I know there are some who have had problems but I am not one of these and I feel the vast majority of owners fall into my category.    Last Thursday I placed an order for a 2020 Denali with an eight speed transmission but alas still no sun roof or power rear slider.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:04 PM, Ibmikey said:

I have had a 2015 SLT and  currently a 2017 Denali, the 15 had a six speed and the 17 has an eight speed. I am one satisfied owner who has not had to visit the service department for anything but oil changes, the transmissions in both vehicles operated smoothly, rarely feeling the shift points.  I know there are some who have had problems but I am not one of these and I feel the vast majority of owners fall into my category.    Last Thursday I placed an order for a 2020 Denali with an eight speed transmission but alas still no sun roof or power rear slider.

Why not wait to see if 2022 offers up a sunroof or power slider?

Sierra Dan,   Well just maybe if I like changes in the 2022 I will order a new Denali, especially if the sun roof and power slider are included.  In the mean time I can suffer through with another Denali that has only minor upgrades, that and the fact that I usually buy a new vehicle every two or three years keeps the “new smell” in my garage.:D

• Like 1