Converter failing 2016 112,000

Well looks like my 2016 5.3 6spd has got struck with the converter shudder with rpm fluctuations @112k miles 

I siphon and fill my trans every 10k since 45k so it shouldn’t have gotten any old dirty oil ran through it but my big question is that I don’t read or see any of the tc symptoms on the new trucks with my mileage on them 

if I change the converter and flush the trans and lines wouldn’t that be as bad as flushing the trans after 100k ?? 

Most trans doesn’t seem to live after this and idk if I should just splurge for a trans/converter and be done or is there a performance converter I should buy to replace the oem and flush or try trade the truck in at this point 

I’m pretty upside down on the payments as you could imagine with the high mileage lol

thanks in advance 

matt 

Did you use Dexron VI fluid during your changes?

What color was your trans fluid every time you changed it? How did it smell?

When measuring to see if the fluid level was full after filling, did you bring the trans up to operating temperature?

Did you assure the trans was completely level when checking your trans fluid level after bring it up to temp (by placing a magnetic level on the trans pan)?

Do you have a trans tune?

A good place to start would be removing as much fluid as possible then drop the pan and replace the filter and clean the magnet. Be meticulous to keep track of how much fluid you removed and when you refill, put that exact quantity back in. Then, bring it up to temp, level the truck (to level the trans) and check your fluid level. Add or remove fluid so you are at the exactly correct fill level. Remove a trans tune if you have one and drive a few hundred miles to see if things smooth out.

While you’re at it, replace the fluid in your transfer case if you have one.

I wouldn’t worry too much about changing the fluid being over 100k miles since you’ve changed it so often. Whatever deposits would be broken up by a fluid change after 100k have most likely already been broken up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yea I kept up with all that pretty meticulously and yes Dexron 6 

i have used max life Valvoline since I read on here that all Dexron 6 has same ingredients so there’s not much variance between the brand names 

the fluid has always been more of a blood color no matter if it’s just a month old from the start of my maintenance and I bought a filter months ago but just haven’t pulled the pan yet because it’s such a mess but looks like it time to do it now 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarcuM said:

Well looks like my 2016 5.3 6spd has got struck with the converter shudder with rpm fluctuations @112k miles 

I siphon and fill my trans every 10k since 45k so it shouldn’t have gotten any old dirty oil ran through it but my big question is that I don’t read or see any of the tc symptoms on the new trucks with my mileage on them 

if I change the converter and flush the trans and lines wouldn’t that be as bad as flushing the trans after 100k ?? 

Most trans doesn’t seem to live after this and idk if I should just splurge for a trans/converter and be done or is there a performance converter I should buy to replace the oem and flush or try trade the truck in at this point 

I’m pretty upside down on the payments as you could imagine with the high mileage lol

thanks in advance 

matt 

Hey Matt...all good advise already posted. I am curious about your question above. Your truck has more than average mileage at 37,000 per year (at 3 years old) so what are you meaning by "new trucks"? I can't think you mean the 2019 model so I assume you're taking about the 8 speed K2 platform? If that's the case there are quite a few 8 speeds that have/had issues too. Great advise from 300 Blackout, especially the mention of the transfer case if you have one.

Edited by SS502

Yea mine got 80k put on its first year lol 

mall that I read on forums is trucks under warranty or less then 30k when they got they shudder also I read that getting your everyday driver flushed after 100k is a no no so essentially I would be flushing it with 112k and idk how it would behave afterwards 

Ok good deal 

anyone know what happens when it goes out completely or will it just not unlock?

im still driving the truck 3hrs a day to work and I don’t have any choice to change it till Christmas break 

After doing a back to back siphon refill the shudder is gone and all that remains is the rpm fluctuating 

i let a couple people drive my truck and they don’t even notice it untill I point out the rpm hand moving up and down a few 100 rpm at times while cruising or lugging around 

Hopefully after a pan drop and filter change it will disappear completely 

• Like 1