6" vs. 8" BDS Lift Kit

Hey all, first post here. Looking for some insight from some people that know what they're talking about. Just got a new 2017 LT Z71 Silverado and was looking at the BDS lift kits. My last truck, a 2015 Silverado, had a 7.5 inch Rough Country lift that I put on 35's and 20 inch rims. Quite frankly I was unhappy with the overall drive because while I did beat the crap out of my truck, the highway drive was really uncomfortable. The shop I'm getting my work done at has said that they will install the 6 inch BDS for the same price as the 8 inch BDS because I am getting a bedliner put in as well as some other mods. I planned on sticking my 35 x 12.50 Toyo Open Country MT's on the stock 18 inch rim and putting a small spacer on to avoid the tie road interference. Do you think that a 35 on an 18 with an 8 inch lift will look goofy? Or should I stick with the 6. Any thoughts and insight is greatly appreciated. Again, apologies if this is posted in the wrong area. Thanks again!

Hey all, first post here. Looking for some insight from some people that know what they're talking about. Just got a new 2017 LT Z71 Silverado and was looking at the BDS lift kits. My last truck, a 2015 Silverado, had a 7.5 inch Rough Country lift that I put on 35's and 20 inch rims. Quite frankly I was unhappy with the overall drive because while I did beat the crap out of my truck, the highway drive was really uncomfortable. The shop I'm getting my work done at has said that they will install the 6 inch BDS for the same price as the 8 inch BDS because I am getting a bedliner put in as well as some other mods. I planned on sticking my 35 x 12.50 Toyo Open Country MT's on the stock 18 inch rim and putting a small spacer on to avoid the tie road interference. Do you think that a 35 on an 18 with an 8 inch lift will look goofy? Or should I stick with the 6. Any thoughts and insight is greatly appreciated. Again, apologies if this is posted in the wrong area. Thanks again!

Here’s my 2017 on a 6” BDS. Couldn’t imagine the stance looking as good on an 8”.. also running 35x12.50’s.
4f8723d78a9c4cd063ca9f9976cdc504.jpg
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, rcass14 said:

Here’s my 2017 on a 6” BDS. Couldn’t imagine the stance looking as good on an 8”.. also running 35x12.50’s.

Thanks for sharing, really like the setup. What you got going is very close to what I wanted to do. As much as I like the 6", the 8" at the same price also leaves open the possibility to run some 37's down the road with some different rims. Maybe on some Snowflake rims. I like the stock look. Did you get the coil overs in your package?

Unless you plan on running wide wheels in the future, or really like the look, I'd got with the 6". When I contacted BDS they told me I can run 37" tires as long as the wheels are 20" and have the correct backspacing. Considering you're looking at stock wheels I'd think you should be good to go, may have to do a lil norcal or pull the liners back a lil but should be good from what I hear.

I'm running a 6" BDS and enjoy it mostly. Truth be told I lose weights all the time because I take it on some class 6 roads so the tires are always out of balance (tires or rims to blame I'm not sure, running Toyo and Method for what it's worth). According to BDS you can run up to 35" on their 4" lift.

Personally I like the look of the 6" but I will def be swapping to larger wheels in the future, as close to a true 37" as I can get I think. I wouldn't run larger than that on a IFS and even that is sort of running the line but hey. If I don't go with 37s I'll drop down to a 4" BDS kit as it's only a few parts to swap.

6 hours ago, Penguin VII said:

Unless you plan on running wide wheels in the future, or really like the look, I'd got with the 6". When I contacted BDS they told me I can run 37" tires as long as the wheels are 20" and have the correct backspacing. Considering you're looking at stock wheels I'd think you should be good to go, may have to do a lil norcal or pull the liners back a lil but should be good from what I hear.

I'm running a 6" BDS and enjoy it mostly. Truth be told I lose weights all the time because I take it on some class 6 roads so the tires are always out of balance (tires or rims to blame I'm not sure, running Toyo and Method for what it's worth). According to BDS you can run up to 35" on their 4" lift.

Personally I like the look of the 6" but I will def be swapping to larger wheels in the future, as close to a true 37" as I can get I think. I wouldn't run larger than that on a IFS and even that is sort of running the line but hey. If I don't go with 37s I'll drop down to a 4" BDS kit as it's only a few parts to swap.

Part of the reason I was sticking with the stock wheels is to save some money and not to mention I got my tires for $1100 brand new with a Black Friday Deal which was a complete steal. I feel like if I could deal with the smaller 35 on the 8 inch look at least until the tread runs low then I will be fine. I don’t necessarily love the look of a super wide tire but being in Mississippi and Florida in the mud, having that wide tire definitely help a bit.

Right now I’m pretty much just weighing the pros and cons. Another con of upping to 37’s would also mean I would most likely want to do a re-gear on my axles right? Or is that not necessary with only 37’s? I have no experience with anything bigger than 35’s 

Thanks for sharing, really like the setup. What you got going is very close to what I wanted to do. As much as I like the 6", the 8" at the same price also leaves open the possibility to run some 37's down the road with some different rims. Maybe on some Snowflake rims. I like the stock look. Did you get the coil overs in your package?

Yeah I did the coil overs and the leaf spring kit from the get-go. If you’re thinking about running 37’s I’d go with the 8 because I think they’d look a bit stuffed on the 6, you’d definitely lose the “stock” feel.. but to reference your comment on the regear, I would consider it almost mandatory with anything over a 35 if you want that transmission to last longer than 100,000 miles. I’m regearing mine on just the 6 because I want to put the drivability back in it and a little bit of pickup too... anyways, 37’s at 70+, you’d be sitting at a hard 2500 rpm and your acceleration would be shit. Someone correct me if I’m just ass wrong because I don’t claim to be an expert but based on my experience with moving to 35’s, that’s what I’d expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of the reason I was sticking with the stock wheels is to save some money and not to mention I got my tires for $1100 brand new with a Black Friday Deal which was a complete steal. I feel like if I could deal with the smaller 35 on the 8 inch look at least until the tread runs low then I will be fine. I don’t necessarily love the look of a super wide tire but being in Mississippi and Florida in the mud, having that wide tire definitely help a bit.

Right now I’m pretty much just weighing the pros and cons. Another con of upping to 37’s would also mean I would most likely want to do a re-gear on my axles right? Or is that not necessary with only 37’s? I have no experience with anything bigger than 35’s 

With 37s you’d definitely want to re-gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1