Shudder/Vibration Issue

Service manager called back ...

He outlined what he had been told, then shifted to his experience driving loaner Silverados ... that his wife had asked him on way home one night ...”what is that?  What’s wrong with it? “. He told her “nothing, they all do it,” then explained he needed to have the trans fluid flushed.

I was kind and noted ,a agin, my experience with it and my online findings ...

He agreed, even though they couldn’t replicate the issue on mine, that there was enough evidence for them to change the fluid, as long as I knew it might not resolve it.

He then related story of a guy who had issues in 2018 for months and he finally authorized his guys to change the fluid in mid December, after they had received the fluid but had not been authorized to change it by GM .... has not heard back from the guy.

we’ll see

FYI,  went to local dealership and explained to the service manager this issue and he immediately confirmed that the fix is flushing the transmission fluid and replacing it with a different type of fluid (not sure about all the specs).  Am having this done Monday morning and will report the results some time next week.  BTW, also getting nitto ridge  grapplers 305/55r20 installed, truck has rough country 2 inch level up front.  

Also noted that the issue really wasn't present until the transmission fluid was at least 88 degrees or warmer.

Edited by pddug69

I may be duplicating my post - but, I can't find the post I saved so will do this again ...

They flushed and swapped fluids per the procedure shown on the attached photo ...

On 10 mile drive home seemed like a normal transmission ... no shuddering, no jerking ... didn't even clunk at intersections while slowing for the light.

Will see ...

IMG_1465.jpg

brrrr ... that is a cold night .... been reading on it ... pretty common to stay way lower temp since temp isn’t controlled like on the engine and there is no combustion sou CS driving it.

As a BTW, both service reps at my dealer said  they read in their GM info sheet that the shudder was more common in hot climates.  I don’t have any data at all on this point.

Put about 240 miles on the new fluid today .... noticeably less clunk upshifting from 1-2 under light throttle, and downshifting while easing up to traffic lights.

Rock solid rpm while cruising at 1200-1500 rpm ... no waver, no rumble strip feel and no weirdness as it upshifted with light throttle at higher speeds ... smooth downshifts while slowing from higher speeds.

Need more time, but seems much, much improved. 

• Like 2

Has anyone on here ever tried the Lube Gard Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix?  I know it's not a permanent fix, but from the reviews I've read the stuff seems to actually work.  I am only looking for a temporary fix until my dealership receives the new tooling from GM.  This is supposed to be sometime in mid-February 2019.  I can't stand driving the truck around with it shuddering like it does.  It's just too annoying.  My only concern is if I add this stuff, I obviously don'y want it to do more harm than good.  I'm not sure if it will affect seals, etc..  It's all going to be flushed in a few weeks, but I want to make sure it won't affect GM's procedure to permanently fix the shudder issue.  Thoughts?