Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My brand new '18 Redline Editon developed "the shudder" at around 450 miles.  Mine seems to shudder worst when around 50 mph and constant speed and again between 65-70 mph, where it will do it all the time.  I went to my dealer and was told GM will not reimburse them when they install new torque converters for this issue.  Apparently GM has issued a document (Document ID: 4536930) which says GM engineering has proven the problem is not caused by the torque converter.  The only fix my dealer can offer is the transmission fluid flush and fill with Mobil 1 synthetic.  I know this won't fix the shudder problem, but at this point I have to go through the steps GM offers.  I honestly cannot believe I am having this problem.  I had a '17 Midnight Edition that I traded up from (wanted the 6.2L engine and a few other options).  That truck ran perfectly.  Never had any problems with it.  Less than 1,000 miles on the new one and I regret the day I drove off the lot with it.  Now every time I see another Silverado on the road, I wonder to myself, "I wonder if their truck drives correctly?"  It is ridiculous that a $60,000 truck rides like crap.  I mean, how can GM expect me to be satisfied with this purchase?  If this problem isn't fixed after three attempts, which I doubt it will, I will be hiring a lawyer and proceeding with a Lemon Law claim.  For GM just to say they are aware it's a problem but don't know how to fix it is not acceptable.  Are others out there in the same situation as me?  If you got your's fixed, how exactly did you do it?  Thanks.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was another post on this. Apparently the guy took his truck in and had the driveshaft looked at. The specs were a bit off and it wasn’t true all the way around. I think he said it cost him like 150 and fixed his shake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few threads addressing this issue with resolutions. One being the rear pinion angle and the other trans fluid change to trans fluid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a bulletin on what the dealer is to do. Starts with road forcing the tires,measuring suspension, gm shim, ect... now I would check first if it is speed or rpm it does it in. 

Just so you know the 3 tries and the lawyer is a waste of time not even the way you are doing it meets the process clause but that has been addressed also. And not in the favor of the customer. 

 

Start with YOU getting under there and re torqueing the u bolts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad had a vibration issue like you describe on his 17 Sierra SLT very early on.

The dealer road-force balanced the tires and the vibration has never returned. It's been over a year.

Try it out, it may work for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You KNOW this won't fix the shudder issue?? I write service for and Chevy dealer and can assure you the flush takes care of 98% of the vibration issue. I had my 17 6.2 flushed in early December and have put 4,000 miles on it and the issue is gone. The dealer does not start with any procedures other than driving the truck with a PICO scope, no balancing tires, no measurements, none if that stuff. The issue is not the torque converter, it is the electronically controlled clutch actuating at a high rate and slipping because of the fluid. The only vehicles with this issue that were ever supposed to get converters replaced were 8-speed Colorados. GM allowed some dealers to replace the converters in some trucks, SUVs, Camaros and Corvettes because they were chasing there tail trying to find a fix. There is a new repair procedure out where even the Colorados do not get converter replacement. There is a new fluid from Mobil that is shipping out to the dealers and is expected in towards the end of this month or middle of next. There are some dealers who do have been doing the procedure wrong and that's where people get the idea of it being an ongoing issue. And this issue effects maybe 10% of GM vehicles with the 8-speed, it's not the epidemic people make it out to be.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I nEeD a NeW tOrQuE cOnVeRtEr WiTh ThE uRgEnCy Of DiArRhEa!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 2017Darkness said:

You KNOW this won't fix the shudder issue?? I write service for and Chevy dealer and can assure you the flush takes care of 98% of the vibration issue. I had my 17 6.2 flushed in early December and have put 4,000 miles on it and the issue is gone. The dealer does not start with any procedures other than driving the truck with a PICO scope, no balancing tires, no measurements, none if that stuff. The issue is not the torque converter, it is the electronically controlled clutch actuating at a high rate and slipping because of the fluid. The only vehicles with this issue that were ever supposed to get converters replaced were 8-speed Colorados. GM allowed some dealers to replace the converters in some trucks, SUVs, Camaros and Corvettes because they were chasing there tail trying to find a fix. There is a new repair procedure out where even the Colorados do not get converter replacement. There is a new fluid from Mobil that is shipping out to the dealers and is expected in towards the end of this month or middle of next. There are some dealers who do have been doing the procedure wrong and that's where people get the idea of it being an ongoing issue. And this issue effects maybe 10% of GM vehicles with the 8-speed, it's not the epidemic people make it out to be.

Thanks for the insight.  Much appreciated. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trans shudder presents when there is mileage on the truck, not brand new. Mine surfaced around 50,000 miles. The fluid flush fixed it. With a new truck and only a few hundred miles, I would look elsewhere

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2017Darkness said:

You KNOW this won't fix the shudder issue?? I write service for and Chevy dealer and can assure you the flush takes care of 98% of the vibration issue. I had my 17 6.2 flushed in early December and have put 4,000 miles on it and the issue is gone. The dealer does not start with any procedures other than driving the truck with a PICO scope, no balancing tires, no measurements, none if that stuff. The issue is not the torque converter, it is the electronically controlled clutch actuating at a high rate and slipping because of the fluid. The only vehicles with this issue that were ever supposed to get converters replaced were 8-speed Colorados. GM allowed some dealers to replace the converters in some trucks, SUVs, Camaros and Corvettes because they were chasing there tail trying to find a fix. There is a new repair procedure out where even the Colorados do not get converter replacement. There is a new fluid from Mobil that is shipping out to the dealers and is expected in towards the end of this month or middle of next. There are some dealers who do have been doing the procedure wrong and that's where people get the idea of it being an ongoing issue. And this issue effects maybe 10% of GM vehicles with the 8-speed, it's not the epidemic people make it out to be.

Maybe I should not have said I "know" this won't fix the issue.  It just doesn't seem like a simple fluid flush would fix the problem I'm having.  But, with that said, you've obviously seen more of these trucks with this issue than I have, so maybe you're right.  I guess my question would be, why are only 10% of GM vehicles affected by this?  Are those vehicles filled with a different fluid than the other 90%?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 5:34 PM, bigman32hockey said:

Maybe I should not have said I "know" this won't fix the issue.  It just doesn't seem like a simple fluid flush would fix the problem I'm having.  But, with that said, you've obviously seen more of these trucks with this issue than I have, so maybe you're right.  I guess my question would be, why are only 10% of GM vehicles affected by this?  Are those vehicles filled with a different fluid than the other 90%? 

They don't share that secret with us. It may be the manufacturing tolerances, it may be the compound mix in the converter clutch that day...do not have an answer for why.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 3:12 PM, scott.moody.9401 said:

The trans shudder presents when there is mileage on the truck, not brand new. Mine surfaced around 50,000 miles. The fluid flush fixed it. With a new truck and only a few hundred miles, I would look elsewhere

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
 

Not true...Most occur early in life, usually while still under warranty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really starting to think I got a lemon here. I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer as well as Chevrolet Customer Assistance on the shudder. I have a case number with GM and was assigned a "Senior Advisor", for whatever that's worth.  

 

A few more developments in my brand new $60k truck...

 

Last night I remote started the truck to let it warm up a bit (I live in ME). When I put the key into the ignition and turned it on, the truck lurched forward. No idea why.  Went into reverse fine, but yet another hiccup with this brand new truck. 

 

I'm also noticing that when accelerating, right before the truck is ready to shift up a gear, the RPM's will spike for a split second before grabbing the next gear. It's super annoying, as it lurches and then shifts.  I know I have a torque converter problem (whether it's just the fluid or the actual converter). Could these other issues be related to this, or should I be pushing GM for a new transmission?

 

I can't begin to tell you how much buyer remorse I have right now. I had a perfectly running '17 Midnight Edition before this thing. I think this is my last GM product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 4:34 PM, bigman32hockey said:

I guess my question would be, why are only 10% of GM vehicles affected by this?  Are those vehicles filled with a different fluid than the other 90%?  

1% maybe. Don't let this forum fool you. Every single person with an issue posts online. The other 900,000 with no problems don't come running here to declare their truck is just fine.

 

I would be patient with your dealer and let them run through all the possible fixes before you get too frustrated. They might be able to take care of it for you pretty easily. The tires and driveshaft are two things i would make sure they take a look at.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aseibel said:

1% maybe. Don't let this forum fool you. Every single person with an issue posts online. The other 900,000 with no problems don't come running here to declare their truck is just fine.

 

I would be patient with your dealer and let them run through all the possible fixes before you get too frustrated. They might be able to take care of it for you pretty easily. The tires and driveshaft are two things i would make sure they take a look at.

I have to agree with this.... You usually only hear about the bad ones...although there are a lot of people that may or may not have issues that don't know about this forum either.. But this does sound like a pretty big problem for GM since its not only our trucks..Camaro and Corvettes have the same problems..

 

I have my 2018 truck about a year now and 8500 miles and I don't have any issues with mine... My only real complaint is when doing a rolling stop and getting back on the gas it will act like its in neutral ( rpm goes up while coasting ) then slam into 1st... if I actually stop, there are no issues... I tried different speeds on the highway and no shuttering at all...so far

 

Just throwing it out there my 2018 was built in 11/2017 , not sure if time of build has anything to do with it

 

I know the 2015-2016 trucks had a lot more issues than the 2017-2018 models do., but I wonder how many 2018 models have this issue?? Most of the posts on here are 2015-2016 trucks, there are not too many specifically on the 2018s yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.