Why Chevy And GMC Are Two Very Different Truck Companies

If you want to find the answer, go to the Dish Soap isle at the grocery store. Notice how there are like 10+ brands? All fighting for shelf space begging you to pick their brand? Now turn each one of those bottles over and read the parent company or "importer". You will notice there are only 2 large parent companies that own and sell these brands. Why wouldn't they just sell Dish soap under Procter and Gamble or Johnson and Johnson you ask? The answer is probability, if J&J has 10 soaps under various brand names and P&G only has 2 brands, which company has a larger chance of getting selected by you at the store? This is the same story in all industries. I have a trucking and contracting business and a small sand and gravel operation, both companies do similar tasks and one is the Parent of the other, but I have a higher chance that a customer will select one of my firms than the other guy. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain
  • Like 1

Good read. I often wondered why they kept a brand that was basically the same as Chevy when they nixed Saturn back then. To me, Saturn was a good selling brand for small cars. Now I guess it makes sense. 

Two "very different" truck companies, that are 80%+ the same?  With the exception of the new tailgate and plastic bed that nobody asked for, it's all just marketing smoke and mirrors.  And why do the "Professional Grade" GMCs have a lower quality control score than their downmarket brothers?

The fact that GMC still exists while Chevy still builds trucks and SUVs is yet another stupid knee-jerk reaction by the General, back at bankruptcy time.  As automotive and financial industry experts said at the time, they should've stripped the trucks and SUVs away from Chevy and given them exclusively to GMC.  Since they forced all of their dealers to combine brands anyway, they could've stripped their dealer network even further, and then let each remaining dealer be a GM Store and sell the whole GM spectrum of vehicles.  

Platforms should be independent and tailored to the vehicle, to be the best they can be.  Chevy should be the cheap cars, Buick the mid-priced cars, Cadillac the expensive cars, and Pontiac the performance cars.  Shoulda never bought Hummer, Saab, or Opel.  They had a chance to buy Jeep and blew it.  Just think about today's entire Jeep lineup, including the Gladiator, being sold under the GMC brand, next to new Sierra trucks. 

Edited by MaverickZ71

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 5:14 PM, pickmeup said:

So it kinda goes like this ...if ya want to haul the 2x4's buy the Chevy ....if ya haulin the briefcase get a GMC. Watch marketing play this out .

Maybe in the Case of 2500 HD trucks.  I never see 2500 HD Denali trucks with any 2x4's in the back!  :crackup: