2019 Z71 LT CC 4x4

I have a 2017 that has about 34K miles on it.  I had a few minor issues, leaky satellite antenna, paint guard was peeling on the panel below the gas tank.  So, in order to get these fixed under the bumper to bumper warranty, I took the truck in.  The loaner was a 2019 Havana Brown Silverado Crew Cab.  It is the Z71 4x4 with the current Texas Edition.  I had it for about a day and will have it probably until tomorrow. 

First, I love my 2017. 

Here, is my impression of the new Silverado.  Overall, it definitely feels like an upgrade. 

The first big standouts are the 8 speed transmission and the upgraded exhaust.  My 2017 has the 5.3 with AFM turned off and the 6-speed.  The 2019 has the 5.3 with the DFM and the 8 speed.  Overall the 2019 feels quicker and more responsive.  Also the exhaust note is really nice on the 2019.  The 2019, with the same engine as the 2017, is more responsive and is definitely faster 0-40 than my 2017.

As far as the DFM vs AFM.  AFM was noticeable if you were paying attention, but generally was not obtrusive.  DFM is not noticeable at all.  I drove about 100 miles on highway, roads, etc...  Never could tell when it kicked in.

Another good feature is the visibility over the hood.  The front of the 2019 is a bit more rounded so it is easier to see where you are while parking.  This is a nice touch.

The interior is definitely more "solid" than the 2017.  The 2017 had some rattle and some panels that got a bit loose even after the first 100 miles which I eventually fixed.  This truck has about 600 miles on it.  Everything is tight. 

The fob and push button is interesting, personally, I like the key, but this setup is definitely more "high end" for whatever that is worth.

The rear seat has vents and two usb ports as well as the lighter.  The seats have a bit more clearance under them and there is a built in tray.  A nice touch there.  Overall the back seat is a big upgrade over the last generation. 

The bed has additional lights in the back corners which are a nice touch. 

The backup camera is higher rez and much brighter at night.  Good touch here.

The texas edition no longer has running boards or the backup radar.  This is not a good thing in my opinion.  The parking assist is a must have, especially since they have it front and rear now.  The running boards are necessary with kids and a wife.  Please add them back to the package and raise the price if you need to.

As far as things to improve, the auto start stop sucks.  It is annoying on an engine of this size.  Yes you can turn it off, but it is a bit goofy.  Also the push button parking brake is just stupid.  Give me the pedal back.  To start the truck, I have to step on the brake, push the start button , push the parking brake and then push the auto "off" button.  This is a goofy routine.  Give me back the pedal for the parking brake and allow the auto start stop to be permanently shut off.  Also, the new infotainment system needs some work.  When I mute the radio, it comes back on next time I start the truck.  Needs a little work.  Lastly, and this is minor, the column shifter and turn signals feel cheap compared to the prior generation.  They don't really "snap" into position like the old ones.

All of the above are minor points, especially compared to the improvements.  Overall, I like this truck very much.  I am cheap and will drive the crap out of my current truck so I am not in the market.  That said, Chevy definitely improved the Silverado.  From online pricing, it looks competitive in pricing to the prior generation.  This one is definitely a job well done.  I am impressed!

• Like 3

All very good observations.

The dealer may be let down that you didn’t fall for their trap but I applaud you sticking to your guns. They sure as hell got me. I had my ‘16 in for service and they gave me a ‘19 loaner. Needless to say 2 weeks later the ‘16 was traded in. The drivability and responsiveness of the new truck really threw me over the edge.