Whining noise from steering wheel/column

Hey guys, over the last week I've noticed a whining noise, almost sounds like rubber on rubber, when I am turning at low speeds. Its not popping, no metal on metal, steering isn't heavy or light... it feels normal. It sounds like it is coming directly from the steering wheel. Usually occurs when the truck is at operating temp. Ive sprayed the steering column with white grease at the firewall and I am not leaking/losing any power steering fluid. Any thoughts on what else I should be looking at? I bought it last month and didn't notice any noises. I had to fight to rip off the steering wheel cover after I bought it... I can't imagine I did anything when I yanked it off, but I wanted to mention it. Oh yeah, its a 2005 2500hd 6.0. Not lifted or leveled. Thanks for any thoughts! 

Without hearing it i cannot be certain but I am pretty sure it is the brass bushing in the steering column you are hearing.  It is impregnated with lubricate when new but dries out with age and creates this whining noise when turning the wheel.  A dealer will charge around $400.00 bucks to fix a minor problem as the steering wheel needs to be removed including air bag to replace it.  Probably easily done yourself if you are comfortable with dealing the air bag.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this same issue since I first bought my truck. it's sort of embarrassing with passengers "Oh no. It's fine it always does that'. Just around turns under 20. I hoped it was a normal thing ...