Turning on reverse lights with cargo light switch

I wired up my cargo light switch to turn on my reverse lights when turned all the way to the right. I have the 2015 style aftermarket mirrors which have the reverse lights built in. I did this so I'm able to see at night when I'm hooking up a trailer or something. The issue with this is that when the truck is started they wont turn on when it is out of park. What do I have to do to bypass this so my cargo lights and reverse lights turn on while it is out of park, I'll use them in drive mostly other than park.

the objective is to not have bright lights facing backwards at other drivers when you are normally driving forward.

You would need a switch to provide power to the same circuit for the reverse lights. Ideally, you would have a fsm to show the common circuit point, likely a relay or the nss (on the transmission indicating which gear it is in). Collect power from battery or accy and wire directly to the common circuit point.

4 hours ago, FuturisticMC said:

I wired up my cargo light switch to turn on my reverse lights when turned all the way to the right. I have the 2015 style aftermarket mirrors which have the reverse lights built in. I did this so I'm able to see at night when I'm hooking up a trailer or something. The issue with this is that when the truck is started they wont turn on when it is out of park. What do I have to do to bypass this so my cargo lights and reverse lights turn on while it is out of park, I'll use them in drive mostly other than park.

Do you just want the LED lights in the mirrors to cut on? Like Sefiroxx said the reason for this is so you are not blinding the people behind you while driving because those lights are AMAZINGLY BRIGHT!!!! LOL 

If you want to bypass this feature I can help you do it, But you should never use it while driving near other vehicles. I have done this on my farm truck, But it stays on the farm mostly. You will need to know a little bit about wiring and fabrication.

8 hours ago, sefiroxx said:

the objective is to not have bright lights facing backwards at other drivers when you are normally driving forward.

You would need a switch to provide power to the same circuit for the reverse lights. Ideally, you would have a fsm to show the common circuit point, likely a relay or the nss (on the transmission indicating which gear it is in). Collect power from battery or accy and wire directly to the common circuit point.

I have it wired form the cargo light power wire in the junction box on the firewall on the drivers side to the reverse fuse in the fuse box. But as you said I would have to tap in further than that to bypass the safety stuff, I just dont know how to do that yet. Also what does "fsm" mean? 

4 hours ago, carnau said:

Do you just want the LED lights in the mirrors to cut on? Like Sefiroxx said the reason for this is so you are not blinding the people behind you while driving because those lights are AMAZINGLY BRIGHT!!!! LOL 

If you want to bypass this feature I can help you do it, But you should never use it while driving near other vehicles. I have done this on my farm truck, But it stays on the farm mostly. You will need to know a little bit about wiring and fabrication.

I have the LEDS in the mirrors wired to the reverse lights so they come on every time it's in reverse. But yes I would like to bypass this.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:12 PM, carnau said:

Just making sure you haven’t forgot about this

Edited by FuturisticMC

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, FuturisticMC said:

Thanks, I'm not trying to annoy i'm just making sure you had remembered.

That's my biggest problem. lol Please don't think you're annoying me. I get forgetful and out of sight, out of mind you know. Again, I forgot this morning but I put a reminder on my phone to check tomorrow. Sorry about that.