6.2 makes a ticking sound, see video

17 hours ago, gmdog2 said:

Has anyone experienced this on there 6.2 in the 19’s? I’m sure it’s the lifter/rocker arm deal..

Just curious, 1800 miles..

Thx

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XnasnRzKNwV3AWKp8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the injectors firing to me, these direct injected motors sound like a box of rocks at idle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Typically this "injector" noise does not start at only 1800 Miles.

Mark, you have a brand new truck. Take it to the dealer as it is under warranty.

On K2 trucks, some are noisy some are not.

A bad or broken lifter definitely is noticeable.

Cannot quite tell what your situation is from the video.

• Like 1

Well, took to the dealer. Needless to say I left without my truck. Apparently GM has a TSB on the this noise. They are ordering all new lifters, arms, etc. So we will see what happens. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man.... never heard of this happening at only 1800 miles.

At least not on the K2 AFM engines.

You are the first I know of with the new 2019 DFM technology that has experienced this.

Did you notice any loss of power or mpg? Check engine light?

20 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Typically this "injector" noise does not start at only 1800 Miles.

Mark, you have a brand new truck. Take it to the dealer as it is under warranty.

On K2 trucks, some are noisy some are not.

A bad or broken lifter definitely is noticeable.

Cannot quite tell what your situation is from the video.

Well he didn't say it started at 1,800 miles, he said he had 1,800 miles.

Regardless i will check back to see the final diagnoses here because literally my 6.2 sounds identical to this and has for the last 5 years. I would think if i had a bent rod or collapsed lifter i would of noticed a engine light or decreased performance.

On 3/7/2019 at 3:19 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Man.... never heard of this happening at only 1800 miles.

At least not on the K2 AFM engines.

You are the first I know of with the new 2019 DFM technology that has experienced this.

Did you notice any loss of power or mpg? Check engine light?

Nope... just kept getting louder in louder.  I’ve owned a lot of GM cars since I was 16. This is my first experience as well..truck ran great. When a guy asked me if I had the new diesel in it, I knew I had a problem?

Any update on this yet?  Mine 6.2 AT4 is noisy on cold startup, definitely sounds like a lifter noise,  truck has 125 miles on it.  Was yours noisy at start up as well?  Hate to have to take it in already, but from what I have seen online, thats its considered normal if it goes away in 10 minutes. 

1 hour ago, GBKirk said:

Any update on this yet?  Mine 6.2 AT4 is noisy on cold startup, definitely sounds like a lifter noise,  truck has 125 miles on it.  Was yours noisy at start up as well?  Hate to have to take it in already, but from what I have seen online, thats its considered normal if it goes away in 10 minutes. 

I've noticed mine does the same thing at cold start but it seems to go away after about 30 seconds. I was thinking about taking it in to the dealer but from what I've read, it's normal

I called the dealer this morning, he asked me to take a video of it.  He said sounds like they need to look at it, but will know for sure when he has his Techs look at it.  He said it could be a solenoid thats part of the vvt.  Mine goes away in about 2 seconds.   At first I thought it was because the truck sat over a week, but I started it last night and it did the same thing.  We will see tonight I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 10:21 AM, GBKirk said:

Yes,  they replaced the lifters, gaskets, a few other things. Dealer stated that there is a TSB on it (TSB#PIP5606B) maybe? When I picked it up after the repair, it was much quieter. I have 2200 miles on it now and the tick is coming back and it sounds like I have an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold and exhaust connection. It's going back in to the dealer Tuesday as I now have a check engine light on.  I called GM Customer Service on the issues and that has been a joke..I must say, disappointed in this unit. Trying to get a couple new 6.2's to compare mine..

As far as when the noise was present, mornings and after it warmed up. A little piston slap is common on cold starts and should go away less than a minute or so. Now my tick began as a piston slap in mornings, then just got worse as I drove it more. Then it was constant, never went away. I complained about the tick at 818 miles and took it in to the dealer..they wanted a video, got it, helped then diagnose it. I will say that the performance of the 6.2 is awesome!!

I had a 16 5.3 that had a slight dry start slap, had 50k miles on it, ran like a beast.  

On 3/12/2019 at 11:25 AM, Aycock1987 said:

I've noticed mine does the same thing at cold start but it seems to go away after about 30 seconds. I was thinking about taking it in to the dealer but from what I've read, it's normal

I think that is completely fine..of course, I'm not a technician or engineer for GM, but I did sleep at  Sleep Doctor last night..:D

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2019 at 11:30 AM, GBKirk said:

I called the dealer this morning, he asked me to take a video of it.  He said sounds like they need to look at it, but will know for sure when he has his Techs look at it.  He said it could be a solenoid thats part of the vvt.  Mine goes away in about 2 seconds.   At first I thought it was because the truck sat over a week, but I started it last night and it did the same thing.  We will see tonight I guess. 

Hey Gary, sound normal..I would keep an eye on it..mine started slow and grew into a diesel:rolleyes:

• Like 1