6.2 makes a ticking sound, see video

On 3/24/2019 at 7:58 AM, gmdog2 said:

Yes,  they replaced the lifters, gaskets, a few other things. Dealer stated that there is a TSB on it (TSB#PIP5606B) maybe? When I picked it up after the repair, it was much quieter. I have 2200 miles on it now and the tick is coming back and it sounds like I have an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold and exhaust connection. It's going back in to the dealer Tuesday as I now have a check engine light on.  I called GM Customer Service on the issues and that has been a joke..I must say, disappointed in this unit. Trying to get a couple new 6.2's to compare mine..

As far as when the noise was present, mornings and after it warmed up. A little piston slap is common on cold starts and should go away less than a minute or so. Now my tick began as a piston slap in mornings, then just got worse as I drove it more. Then it was constant, never went away. I complained about the tick at 818 miles and took it in to the dealer..they wanted a video, got it, helped then diagnose it. I will say that the performance of the 6.2 is awesome!!

I had a 16 5.3 that had a slight dry start slap, had 50k miles on it, ran like a beast.  

Sounds like they are creating more problems then fixing.This is my fear with any big fix like this because i don't have very much confidence in these dealers anymore and how unknowledgeable many of the techs are these days. Most dealers now only have a couple of capable techs employed with the rest basically oil changers it seems.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2019 at 12:05 PM, BIGDOGx said:

Sounds like they are creating more problems then fixing.This is my fear with any big fix like this because i don't have very much confidence in these dealers anymore and how unknowledgeable many of the techs are these days. Most dealers now only have a couple of capable techs employed with the rest basically oil changers it seems.

My thoughts exactly, at this point I'd demand a replacement truck or a crate motor. You paid for a new 6.2l. Not a "rebuilt" 6.2l by a dealer technician who may or may not know what he's doing.  

I went through this process with a Pontiac G8, new timing chains and crankshaft at 24,000 miles. Got the car back, opened the hood and found they had forgot to put the oil cap on..oil everywhere! who knows what else they screwed up inside. I immediately traded it in. If I did it again I'd ask for a different vehicle or a crate motor.. 

Edited by Donnyb313
  • Like 1

I almost rather let the motor destroy itself then have a dealer tear it open today. I have to imagine that the older good knowledgeable techs avoid engine tear down jobs too, making it even more troublesome with having something like this done. With people like gmdog though the full truck should be replaced, that should be a law by the way since we cant trust these company to stand behind their product anymore. Anything that has a serious break down like this within a couple months of ownership should be a automatic replacement imo.

• Like 2

Ya, disappointed on this for sure. I’m a loyal GM person and never have had a problem with my Camaro, Vette’s, etc..So, unfortunately started a case with GM plus dealer is helping the best that they can right now. Heck, I just picked up Terrain Denali for the wife. So still have much love for GM, just not this truck.

Thinking about trading off on a Denali HD, but going to see what GM says..maybe Lemon Law.. not sure just not digging the noise and motor issue.

Should have kept my 16 for one more year[emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Mine just started doing the exact same thing!!   Defiantly not "normal" even though the latest bulletin claims to let run 5-7 minutes and if goes away give back to customer and tell them its normal.  Research department is investigating the cause.   Really?  Normal? How ever if it continues past 20 minutes go ahead and replace the lifters.

Been a technician for 35 years   This sound is anything but normal.  GM I hope you are watching/reading   poor quality period   You know why it is happening, you just don't want to cover/handle it.   Can't wait to hear what load of bs my dealer tries to tell me.  AsBIGDOGx stated  let it blow up and make them warranty an engine.

18 hours ago, Mike Geringer said:

Mine just started doing the exact same thing!!   Defiantly not "normal" even though the latest bulletin claims to let run 5-7 minutes and if goes away give back to customer and tell them its normal.  Research department is investigating the cause.   Really?  Normal? How ever if it continues past 20 minutes go ahead and replace the lifters.

Been a technician for 35 years   This sound is anything but normal.  GM I hope you are watching/reading   poor quality period   You know why it is happening, you just don't want to cover/handle it.   Can't wait to hear what load of bs my dealer tries to tell me.  AsBIGDOGx stated  let it blow up and make them warranty an engine.

Damn that sucks man, i don't even know what to think anymore regarding this engine and how it sounds. It sounds fine when it is being driven and going up the rpm band, but at idle these are the worst sounding box of rocks engines i have ever owned, not to mention whiners with this new style oil pump. What's weird is i don't remember ever hearing these noises when i stand next to a 6.2  camaro or corvette, maybe i just need a performance exhaust to drown out the rattle, ticks, nocks and whines these engines seem to  have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

Damn that sucks man, i don't even know what to think anymore regarding this engine and how it sounds. It sounds fine when it is being driven and going up the rpm band, but at idle these are the worst sounding box of rocks engines i have ever owned, not to mention whiners with this new style oil pump. What's weird is i don't remember ever hearing these noises when i stand next to a 6.2  camaro or corvette, maybe i just need a performance exhaust to drown out the rattle, ticks, nocks and whines these engines seem to  have.

I have not heard the camaro or vette do it either.  However this is the first 6.2 with the DFM     Where it can go from 8 cyl all the way down to 2 cylinders during deactivation.   While that does seem very smooth compared to the old AFM v8/v4 mode it is a completely new setup.  I'm guessing they either have a design flaw that needs to be corrected or a supplier severely screwed up. Teach me to buy the first year :(  Just really disappointing

• Like 1

I have not heard the camaro or vette do it either.  However this is the first 6.2 with the DFM     Where it can go from 8 cyl all the way down to 2 cylinders during deactivation.   While that does seem very smooth compared to the old AFM v8/v4 mode it is a completely new setup.  I'm guessing they either have a design flaw that needs to be corrected or a supplier severely screwed up. Teach me to buy the first year [emoji20]  Just really disappointing

Couldn’t agree more!! Still nosiest GM product I’ve ever had, plus the DFM noise is driving me right to lemon law or ?? I’m so past the thing and customer care is just point, useless..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well the strange noise continues but this normal-

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ygu5Lp2hUmUvb6w68

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0VWVz-mcybGP_p-nEXhTafs6A

This is the 6.2L in my Corvette. They are not quiet engines but yours does sound a little clacky.

I’m more worried about the noise when I accelerate. It sounds like it’s has a lose heat shield or something. The ticking I’ve just learned to live with it at this point. Maybe I need an exhaust like your corvette to muffle out the noise. [emoji16]

My 5.3 did this with maybe 800 miles on the clock. I have a vid of it and it sounds identical to yours. It was very loud and sounded terrible when I would accelerate. Took to a dealer, showed a vid, they could not replicate, and I have not heard the noise since. It lasted 15ish miles. I had just put my 3rd tank of gas n the truck and assumed it may have something to do with that. Station in the middle of no where kind of deal. 

Edited by mattsvtcobra