Power steering going out

Bobbie

Question

What would cause power steering to go out after hitting pot hole. Took to dealership they said the motor was bad so replaced it but it still doing it. And every time I turn wheel theres a clicking noise 

6 answers to this question

Year? 1500? 2500? 3500? 2wd? 4wd?  Electric power steering? Hydraulic power steering?  ... ???

10 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

What would cause power steering to go out after hitting pot hole. Took to dealership they said the motor was bad so replaced it but it still doing it. And every time I turn wheel theres a clicking noise 

I would suggest you post some basic information like year, make, model to begin with, and then when posting symptoms or steps to recreate try to remember the readers have no idea of what you are thinking.  What seems clear as day to you is very likely not so for the reader. 

Do you mean the power steering stops working after hitting a pot hole, then works again seconds later, or it stays not working until you restart engine? 

If it were me, and I paid the dealer for them to start guessing, I would expect them to refund the money from the first guess and to put the old motor back in before having the technition to try what's behind door number 2.

I personally would be looking for a partially broken wire, bad weatherpak connection, bad ground connection, etc before taking the first swing at the parts bin.  But that's just me. 

It's a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 with electric power steering motor. The first time the power steering went out and stayed out for 2 weeks the this time it went out and stayed out untill I stopped for about an hour then it was back

It's a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 with electric power steering motor. The first time the power steering went out and stayed out for 2 weeks the this time it went out and stayed out untill I stopped for about an hour then it was back
Any codes? Sounds like it's not communicating or lost power to it.

The power steering just went out again going down the interstate and I didn't even hit a pothole. And this time it's not coming back like it has been. Could it be something else besides the motor