Considering Borla Touring duals straight out the back

Anyone have this setup care to comment?

I want to put this system on my 2018 Silverado Crew cab standard bed 5.3.

Where is the cheapest place to buy it? Looks like $999 is the going rate.

Do they have any drone?

How much louder is it in the cab? Outside?

Any improvement in MPG's?

Does  the kit come as a universal fit with different pieces to fit different bed lengths or how does that work? I'm afraid I'll order it and have the kit be for a short bed.

Thanks Guys.

• Like 2

Anyone have this setup care to comment?
I want to put this system on my 2018 Silverado Crew cab standard bed 5.3.
Where is the cheapest place to buy it? Looks like $999 is the going rate.
Do they have any drone?
How much louder is it in the cab? Outside?
Any improvement in MPG's?
Does  the kit come as a universal fit with different pieces to fit different bed lengths or how does that work? I'm afraid I'll order it and have the kit be for a short bed.
Thanks Guys.

I know SS502 has a Borla exhaust, loves it but runs it in a 6.2. I’ve heard that all will drone unless you cut off the AFM. I’m definitely going to follow this thread.

Sent from above
  • Like 1

I have the Borla ATAK so I can't speak of the loudness of the Touring. What I can tell you is that when I got my kit, it was an exact fitment to my truck (short bed), assuming you order the right kit (part number 140538 is the standard 6.5 bed), nothing needed to be added and nothing extra (except a hat and some stickers) was in there leaving you wondering. I did not notice any MPG improvements BUT I did this very early in ownership so I didn't really have a baseline to compare it to. The ATAK is loud, especially on cold start but even the ATAK is very livable on the inside, we can easily have normal conversations inside the cab. There is (contrary to other comments) some V4 drone...I did not notice at first but the system does have a little "break-in" period, not much and it isn't that noise that will drive you nuts. I disabled V4 mode (also early on by driving in L7, then bought the Range) so I never had to deal with the drone that was present, even if it wasn't much. I paid more for mine so $999 (the Borla website shows $1,119.99) sounds pretty reasonable to me. I did get the Borla chrome exhaust tips, they came welded on and were perfectly straight when installed. The GM Borla system doesn't come with the tips, have to order them separately (or you used to). All the welds looked really well done. The only thing I would recommend is to keep the protective wrapping on the tips until fully installed to keep you from accidently scratching them. I also went back after 400 miles and re-torqued all the bolts because they go through a few heat cycles and need to be re-torqued.

***Oh and it even came with brake line insulation tape to protect your brake lines***

Edited by SS502
Typo plus added some info
  • Like 3

I bought the dual tip GMPP Borla but they ended up sending me the side exit. Not a big deal so i installed it anyway. I'm sensitive to noise so i ended up putting a stock resonator just before the flapper (only available in GMPP Borla and not the Borla touring). From what I gathered before pulling the trigger, Borla touring is a little quieter than the GMPP Borla. I went with the GMPP because I wanted the flapper. Got it from eBay, haggled a seller down to like 1050 shipped or something like that (I pad full amount and then he credited back). 

As for the V4 chop (it's more of a chop than a drone), even with the flapper I can still hear it a little bit. Also, when you swap from stock to anything that is louder, you will be able to notice the truck go in AFM. I also just drive in L7 and reserve AFM only for long trips. 75 MPH at 2200 RPM in L7 isn't an issue (8 speed tranny). You have the speed so i'm not sure how L5 would handle at the same speed as far as RPM.

Suggestion on install...put it all together, check for clearance at the connection near the last cat (rotate that thing until it's up  away from the cross member), line it all up to where you want it then start tightening that sucker up. If you get the GMPP, you will have to buy some tips. Doesn't have to be borla, any will do. I got black borla tips. 

Fire her up then enjoy! 

After further consideration I have decided to go with the Borla S Type instead of the Touring. I've listened to so many videos and sound clips the last few days I'm dizzy.

I've come to the conclusion that the Touring isn't much louder than stock. For a grand it would be nice to at least hear it rumble a little. 

At least the S type has some growl to it. I'm afraid the ATAK has too much growl for me so I really never considered it.

Now to find one, they are on back order almost every place I've checked. eBay has some for $999 or best offer so as of today I'm  waiting for an answer from 3 sellers.  Hopefully I can pull the trigger on one tomorrow and be bolting it on by the end of next week. 

What to do with the stock system?

Any value?

After further consideration I have decided to go with the Borla S Type instead of the Touring. I've listened to so many videos and sound clips the last few days I'm dizzy. I've come to the conclusion that the Touring isn't much louder than stock. For a grand it would be nice to at least hear it rumble a little. 

At least the S type has some growl to it. I'm afraid the ATAK has too much growl for me so I really never considered it.

Now to find one, they are on back order almost every place I've checked. eBay has some for $999 or best offer so as of today I'm  waiting for an answer from 3 sellers.  Hopefully I can pull the trigger on one tomorrow and be bolting it on by the end of next week. 

What to do with the stock system?

Any value?

Always a good idea to keep it (if you’ve got room) just incase

Sent from above

6 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Always a good idea to keep it (if you’ve got room) just incase

Sent from above

I can keep it at my storage . I'm probably going to cut it off though. I'm doing it in my garage or driveway no lift 

I can keep it at my storage . I'm probably going to cut it off though. I'm doing it in my garage or driveway no lift 

If you can get it up on jacks then it’ll be worth keeping it whole, no point cutting it then having to attempt to weld it back.

Sent from above

Watching the install videos it looks like you need to have a lift to get it off in one piece. 

I don't know I might just take it to a muffler shop and get it installed if it's not too much. 

Borla loudness is like this: touring, GMPP borla, S-Type then ATAK. I got a friend's out with the front on ramps and rear lifted up and also dropped the spare tire. When i installed mine i got lazy and cut it right before the muffler. Easier storage this way as well. Just keep it in case you want to sell or trade the truck in the future. Most places want it returned to stock. 

Good luck and hope you get it installed soon!

1 hour ago, Centex14 said:

I'm about to pull the GM borla touring off my truck. It's straight out the back. I'm upgrading to something louder. Was going to post it for sale for $500+shipping. 

I'm glad I went with the S Type. I ordered it this morning. Should be here by Thursday. I was afraid the touring or the GM setup wouldn't be loud enough. 

You should be able to sell it easy at that price. 

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 1