Driver’s door / window trim rattle

Been trying to figure this one out for weeks. On my driver’s door up around the top of the window right next to where your head is when in the drivers seat is a rattle. 

Ive tried adding foam everywhere in the window channel, shoved foam in between the plastic window trim and metal and weather stripping. Taken the weather stripping out looking for a sign. Added a foam bumper between the top of the door and body where it closes. 

So far the only progress I’ve made is that the rattle goes away with the window all the way down. So I thought maybe it’s the window? But when I put pressure on it with it up it doesn’t stop or change the rattle? 

Normally a rattle or noise won’t bother me, just turn the radio up, but it’s right by my left ear! On smooth roads around the dealership 30 miles away I doubt they will be able to figure it out. Around here everything is bumpy so for me it’s all I hear. I have tried jamming foam into everything I can think of without change. 

If anyone has had and solved a rattling in this area I’d be very grateful to hear how.  

Have someone sit on the passenger side to see if it can be heard from there.  I had a rattle I swore was coming from the glove compartment.  I sat as a passenger and the sound then sounded like it was coming from the lower console.  Turned out to be a pair of sunglasses rattling in the overhead console glasses holder.  Go figure. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, I'd be inclined to believe it was coming from anywhere else if it didn't go away when the window is down. "Driving at slow speeds so I know the wind isn't masking it."

Can you place a shop towel up into the channel and close the glass onto it, to stop it and/or help localize the sound?

Does putting outward pressure on the glass with your hand change or stop the rattle?

i have found it hard to localize rattles in the cab of this truck as well. 

• Like 1

I had this issue on my '17.  On the door there is plastic trim that goes up around the window.  In previous generations this would have been left body color metal.  There is a gasket on the cab that seals against this plastic trim piece.  Since it is not held in well, it rattles against the metal of the door.  I pealed my back and put some rope gasket behind it to fix the rattle.

• Like 1

I'll try the shop towel, andyhaug could you please please show me what you did with a pic? I'd really appreciate it. Thank ya'll so much, I'm not super OCD it's just that this is right by my ear so there's no way I can ignore it or drown it out. Thank ya'll !

This is the trim around the window on the door.  Around the outside it is not really held in, the window weather stripping is what really holds it.  I just peeled it back enough to put some rope caulking in there and it cannot rate against the door anymore.

IMG_20190505_175520355.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, I pumped that area full of silicone and drove around with no prevail. I think I give up, maybe its something inside the door, I dunno. I appreciate the replies. 

Lol tried the shop towel in various places, no luck. Gotta be in the door. Oh well :-/

EDIT: Tried a thicker towel today and let the window shove it into the top corner, that's the spot, it was quiet. I don't know a long term solution but at least I know the location. 

Edited by batman900
  • Like 1

I have kind of the same rattle/thud noise only when I close the door, doesn't rattle at all while driving, I took apart the door, window, regulator, speaker...checked everything, added thin rubber washers between to regulator and door shell added extra sound pads, put it back together and it was quiet for about 2-3 months now its back not sure what to do from here, I feel your frustration.

• Like 1

I get a slight rattle when cranking up the radio especially with songs that have plenty of Bass.

Only remedy I have found so far is tapping the window down button ever so slightly so that the window is not all the way up and seated.

I would say 1/32 or so and the rattle goes away. But again I only hear it during loud music that really thumps.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd update this now that it's fixed. After trying everything with no luck, I had noticed that my driver's door didn't close as flush as the other doors. I asked the dealer about my rattle and wind noise during my oil change last week and mentioned the door not shutting flush. They said only a body shop could fix it but approved the fix under warranty. At first he asked if the wind had ever yanked the door out of my hand real hard, that hasn't ever happened, I'm actually very careful. Took it in this morning, body shop did their thing and no more noise. Door closes flush and I guess that was the issue all along. It wasn't sticking out real bad and I had just figured it was one of those things, like nothing is ever perfect and didn't consider it could be the issue until I was out of options. Actually only took the body shop about 2-3 hours to fix, not sure what they did and everything looks 100%.

Edit: I was curious so I called the body shop, they've worked on our cars before and are good people. Guy told me that they adjusted the striker and had to carefully bend the top of the door inward. Those 2 things together fixed it. 

Edited by batman900

Did this make your door more difficult to close?, I am having the same problem did mine, now, it pops when opening and a little  harder to close and still have the wind leak I bought the truck used and noticed someone had already tried this fix.