Picked up a 19 RST Z71 last week, been considering an extended warranty, I tend to keep my autos 8-10 years. Now I know what some of you are thinking and I agree with some of those thoughts. So for those who have purchased an extended warranty I was wondering where you got yours and what the going rate was. Best I found was 1604.00 for GM Warranty (Platinum) 84 months/75000 miles 0 deduct. I paid 1200 for 72 months/75000 miles 0 deduct for extended in 2014 for my wifes Dodge Durango turned out to be smart money, I had the radio/nav replaced last fall (1200.00) and just picked it up today (1500.00) replaced radiator and fixed passenger side airbag. I know its a gamble and your betting against the house but these machines are damned expensive to fix these days. It dont take much to ring up a grand or two. 

I bought one on the wife's 2018 Equinox... Too many electronics in these cars nowadays... I skipped the wheel and paint coverage, just got the mechanical and electrical coverage....

I have a 17 Sierra All Terrain.  At 35k I bought a 6 yr 125k for 3100 through my Dealer.  159k with bumper to bumper and powertrain was pretty sweet.  I too keep my trucks like you do.  

I always buy it through my credit union, EECU.  If you have access to EECU in California, I highly recommend it.  I'm guessing other credit unions offer something similar.

I drive a lot of miles, so usually go for few years, high miles.  I just got a 5 year, 125,000 mile warranty with a $250 deductible for $842.  Bumper to bumper, and including the option that covers all the electronics and infotainment stuff.  Honestly I'll hit 125k miles well before 5 years, but it was like $791 for a 4 year, so figured why not go 5 just in case.  You can get lower deductibles, but the policy cost more, and I'm really just worried about the big ticket items.

Been using their warranties for years, and have had a number of claims, never any issues paying out.  You can go to the dealership or a mechanic of  your choice, though I've only tried using it at various dealerships.

Other thing I love about my CU is the gap insurance is only $250, and it will cover up to a $500 insurance deductible if you have to file a claim.

Edited by scdaren

• 1 month later...

Geico has mechanical breakdown insurance.. $250 deductible per claim. Covers everything except wear items. I find it to be better than the extended warranty that has exclusions. 7 years/100k miles, I pay $75 per year. Cheap insurance in my eyes.

• 3 months later...

As a technical point, there is no such thing as an extended warranty.  Warranties are specific instruments that are from the manufacturer and fall under the Magnusen Moss Warranty Act.  Factory warranty is the only warranty and costs the consumer nothing, nor can any manufacturer charge the consumer for the warranty.  Everything else is a service contract instrument.  You are buying an extended service contract.  They have their own conditions and restrictions and are not regulated by the Magnusen Moss Warranty Act of the Federal Trade Commission. 

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/01/warranties-and-service-contracts-101

Edited by Cowpie
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cowpie said:

As a technical point, there is no such thing as an extended warranty.  Warranties are specific instruments that are from the manufacturer and fall under the Magnusen Moss Warranty Act.  Factory warranty is the only warranty and costs the consumer nothing, nor can any manufacturer charge the consumer for the warranty.  Everything else is a service contract instrument.  You are buying an extended service contract.  They have their own conditions and restrictions and are not regulated by the Magnusen Moss Warranty Act of the Federal Trade Commission. 

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/01/warranties-and-service-contracts-101

Somebody pin this post. :thumbs: