Toolbox, Back rack AND Bedcover??

I have a 2018 1500 with the 6'6'' bed, I currently have a low profile toolbox (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weather-Guard-Full-Size-Aluminum-Low-Profile-Saddle-Box-in-Black-121-5-01/205174393). I want to put a bed cover on simply to keep my bed a little cleaner, on my last truck i had a self-tensioning roll up cover and loved it so I want that again. I found on that I like (https://www.americantrucks.com/extang-express-toolbox-tonneau-cover-1418-silverado-1500.html) but it says not for use with low profile toolboxes. My question is.... Is there a way to make it work OR, someday I want a back rack. What if I just (for now) bought the mounts (https://realtruck.com/p/backrack-tool-box-bracket-kits/v/chevy/silverado-1500/2018) that the toolbox sits on that way it will lift the toolbox up a couple inches. Obviously I'd have to find something to seal between the cover and the mounts/toolbox. Then I could just put the back rack on later when i have a little extra $$$. 

Hope this makes sense

Thanks In Advance

My guess is that the problem with the combo is that the buttons on the low pro toolbox would be below the cover or interfere with the front edge of it.  If you lifted it, then that might fix the issue, but you would have to measure where the buttons are located to be sure.  Also, you would have the issue with the hole between the cover and the toolbox due to the lift.

If you are going to lift a low pro toolbox, why not just get a standard depth toolbox with the buttons on the ends or something?

14 minutes ago, mfennema said:

If you are going to lift a low pro toolbox, why not just get a standard depth toolbox with the buttons on the ends or something?

This might just be me being a pain in the neck but I just bought a weatherguard toolbox after wanting on for YEARS and I really dont want to buy another toolbox.

I think it's Trifecta that makes a toolbox seal for their tonneau covers, others may as well. My buddy has an 8ft bed with a toolbox and a shortbed cover and it all matches up perfect, you may have to be a little more custom to make things work. Those push buttons should be out of the way with the risers but there's only one way to find out. 

I've been wanting to do this as well but take an extra step. I currently have the backflip F1 and I love it. I have the 6.5' bed and I will be using a diesel transfer tank soon. Its just a rectangle 80 gal i believe that sits at the front of the bed and the top is just below the bedrails. That being said I don't like a big transfer pump sticking out of the bed so I will be getting a cross rails toolbox and cut out the footprint of the tank in the bottom of the box and simply slide the box over the tank. Should have room to keep a few tools like cables and a grease gun in there along with the pump. For the rest of the bed I would like to have a bedcover that is locked like i currently have. I was thinking of either going with the Rollup style metal or vinyl covers but don't know how much room the roll takes up. I Might just modify my backflip to work with it too. 

• 8 months later...

I’m currently building a set of mounts to go on my 2012. I am an avid camper, and have an atv that I load into the bed (5’8” so I load the quad as far forward as I can) and then hook the trailer on. I also landscape on the side, so I have a full sized toolbox I put in during the summer months to store all my straps and supplies. I wanted a rack that would work with both my tonneau cover and my tool box. My tonneau cover stays on through the majority of the year (slow season through winter) so finding mounts that allowed the cover were key as take the cover off and installing the rack everytime I was leaving to camp was out of the question. All that and I enjoy the challenge. So far what I have is flush top plates that will sit on the bed rails, mounting to the inside and then a piece to raise above the tonneau cover to allow a flat bar to be welded on for the back rack mounts. (Using a used rack off my grandfathers 89 Silverado it will be a bit taller then the cab but it will do for now) I will be welding another piece of angle iron to provide a front cover, and flat top for the rack to mount. As well as a small piece bracing it to the front cab wall. 

070C5CC9-860A-42AC-B1A5-F9DDFE6FBA6C.jpeg