In-bumper exhaust tips

23 minutes ago, ct_corey said:

I haven't looked yet but it doesn't look like its directly bolted on meaning it probably doesn't get too hot. Think it could be plasti dipped? 

You could try it.  But for the amount of effort to get them off I would want something that would last a long time.

They're definitely a pain top get off. not hard, but annoying and tedious. once you figure out the angle and tools for each of the 4 top down bolts, it moves faster. for me, it was frustrating and time consuming, but once you get a method down for each bolt, it goes faster. i probably spent a little over an hour total getting them off, but a lot of that was getting back up off the ground to get tools from the garage. the combo of box end wrench, and a socket/wrench  with different extensions does work though. going back on was much faster.

i scuffed mine up very well with a sanding sponge and painted them with high temperature paint, but it started flaking within a few weeks. it was more of a trial to see if i liked how they looked and will be taking them back off to get powder-coated soon. this was one of the few mods that non-car guys at work commented on and complimented. I will say that even scuffed up, the brushed steel/aluminum look was more desirable than the stock chrome. at least to me. 

They're definitely a pain top get off. not hard, but annoying and tedious. once you figure out the angle and tools for each of the 4 top down bolts, it moves faster. for me, it was frustrating and time consuming, but once you get a method down for each bolt, it goes faster. i probably spent a little over an hour total getting them off, but a lot of that was getting back up off the ground to get tools from the garage. the combo of box end wrench, and a socket/wrench  with different extensions does work though. going back on was much faster.
i scuffed mine up very well with a sanding sponge and painted them with high temperature paint, but it started flaking within a few weeks. it was more of a trial to see if i liked how they looked and will be taking them back off to get powder-coated soon. this was one of the few mods that non-car guys at work commented on and complimented. I will say that even scuffed up, the brushed steel/aluminum look was more desirable than the stock chrome. at least to me. 

1/4” air ratchet 10-15 minutes to R&R both

So you suggest using the 1/4” 12 point ratcheting wrench for the top bolts on the exhaust tips?  Once confirmed I’ll take them off and have them PC’d as well.  Would look so much better on my white TB!!

I plan on doing it tomorrow Tina - Just hoping to get confirmation on sizing before I buy another wrench.  Most of my tools are in boxes still since I’m moving into my new crib this week.  

It’s a 10mm with 3 bolts per exhaust tip.  My suggestion would be a ratcheting wrench with adjustable angle neck due to the tight space you have to work with on the two in the back of the housing inside the bumper.  The third bolt above the back of the exhaust tip is easy to see and is best suited for a socket wrench w small extension.

Best of Luck!

• Like 1