Max Tow with 22" wheels

I like the High Country trucks with the 22" wheels and found out that you can't get the Max Tow Pkg with those wheels. After looking at this, I looked to see if the max tow trucks with the 20" wheels used an "LT" 10 ply tire for the load as well as a stronger wheels, but it appears that the wheels and tires are the same as a non max tow truck. The tire in the 20" size 275/60/R20 has a max load of 2,679lbs whereas the 22"  size 275/50/R22 would have a max load of 2,403lbs. I'd dare venture to guess that the load ratings on the wheels should be similar between the two sizes. I would also assume that GM would rather stay away from the LT tires on the 1500s to keep the smoothest ride since these trucks are known for their car like ride. I guess one could just order a Max Tow truck and then swap the wheels for 22s with and LT tire and actually have more load carry ability. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't be towing over 6,500lbs. Aluminum 8.5x20 enclosed v nose trailer. Actually waiting on a Max Tow High Country 6.2 crew cab 4wd to arrive at the dealership to compare the payloads. I guess, I still don't understand the reasoning for not putting a forged wheel like the HD trucks use in their 20" versions, but rather a forged 22" for the aesthetics as an available option. I wonder how to find the factory 20" vs 22" wheel weight capacities?

DUDE ... you have no worries.  I tow a boat 9,000lbs with my high country, no problem.  6.2L 4x4

You dont need that max towing crap.  Especially if its got a ratio that will make mileage worse.

most people who want to take advantage of the max tow capabilities don't want to be riding around on low-pro tires. I think they make your ride suffer anyway. But there's no reason you can't switch to the wheels you want. Both sets should be capable of handling any weight you can safely carry/tow with that truck. Just be aware that as you add trailer tongue weight, you are reducing the available suspension travel on the rear end. Tires with more rubber have a little more cushion. If you want to load 22" wheels to the max, expect a stiffer ride. It doesn't sound like your trailer should cause any major problems.

• Like 2

The 22" wheels (the wheels, not the tires) are more than likely load rated to support only non NHT towing capacities, hence why you can't combo them from the factory.  If its a non NHT, its fair game to do factory 22s.  If you do get a High Country, the 20" and 22" tire diameters are the same if you switched them.  If you do plan to tow close to the max capacity however, I'd throw the 20"s on. 

The lower the profile of the tire the higher the possibility of blowing the bead under load.

Larger sidewalls IE 16,17,18 have way more flex. That's why you always see smaller sized wheels on the actual trailer.

20's and down still have a decent sidewall flex.

I had 22's on my last truck it towed but you could see the pressure the wheels where under.

It was enough I wanted to go back to 20's on my new truck.

2 hours ago, BigBadSierra said:

The lower the profile of the tire the higher the possibility of blowing the bead under load.

Larger sidewalls IE 16,17,18 have way more flex. That's why you always see smaller sized wheels on the actual trailer.

20's and down still have a decent sidewall flex.

I had 22's on my last truck it towed but you could see the pressure the wheels where under.

It was enough I wanted to go back to 20's on my new truck.

The higher trims (like my High Country) with 22" wheels won't be as bad as previous generations with 22".  The stock tires are larger with this gen, on the higher trims anyway.

Somewhere in the middle really.

My GMT800 on 20s with 275/55-20 tires has ~6" of sidewall.

On 22s with 285/45-22 tires that would be ~5" of sidewall.

My HC on 22s with 275/50-22 tires has ~5.4" of sidewall.

On 20s with 275/60-20 tires it has ~6.5" of sidewall.

Not saying 20s aren't still better, it's just less of a difference/problem than it used to be.

-Daver

• Like 1