2019 LTZ z71 auto lock differential

More G80 hate, huh.  Well six GM trucks all with the G80 and not one problem.  I'm sure the Fords and Rams with e-lockers work great, but I'm not so sure I would be happy with another electronic/electric motor to do a mechanical job, added failure point in my opinion.  Anyway from front crank pulley to rear diff.  I don't think anyone can match GM on powertrain durability.  Pay attention to old vehicles on the road; at least in my area you will see 3x more GM trucks than FoMoCo or Ram with 15 or more years of service.  As said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by Foghorn17

16 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

I'm not a huge fan of the G80 but, it gets the job done, especially with modern traction control... I do prefer a LSD though but, not enough to pay the $$ to swap my rear end... I've never had an electronic locker but, it seems like it would be a nice option.

Mechanical lockers are better for forget about it situations.... I prefer that over electric myself and have a Detroit locker in the back of 4 trucks currently... soon to be 5 in my possession.  

On 5/19/2019 at 9:54 PM, SierraHD17 said:

Just wait.... in 4 more years the old Gov Bomb will be celebrating it's 50th birthday completely unchanged in design in GM trucks.... and if you go to an Autoshow they still act like its a modern marvel of technology lol.  Maybe they will add a diff cover with a 50 year anniversary sticker... and in GM fashion offer the truck with drum brakes to stay with the old school theme lol.

Doesn't matter if the design has changed, it works pretty well. What is important is they have reworked and upgraded the internals. You could say the same about the pickup or engines, doesn't mean they are the same as 50 years ago even if the design is the same. Someone came off as awfully petty... I am guessing you had one fail and it was out of warranty? 

Tyler

1 hour ago, amxguy1970 said:

Doesn't matter if the design has changed, it works pretty well. What is important is they have reworked and upgraded the internals. You could say the same about the pickup or engines, doesn't mean they are the same as 50 years ago even if the design is the same. Someone came off as awfully petty... I am guessing you had one fail and it was out of warranty? 

Tyler

No they literally are completely identical down to design and operation.  You can pull a Gov lock from a 10.5" 14 bolt in a 1973 truck and drop it right in a 2019 3/4 tons 10.5" 14 bolt as a direct service replacement.  No... you aren't pulling the 350 out of the 1973 truck putting it in place of whatever with ease... so your analogy is not even remotely relevant.    But hey it's a V8 just like your truck has now so it must be the same right.... lol..You have to know how something actually works before you can understand the who, where and why.

I have had them fail and I don't like how they operate or just don't in most cases.  I replace them... problem solved.  Maybe some day GM will offer other options... maybe not.

If you don't like what I say then don't read it lol

Edited by SierraHD17