2020 Silverado HD/Sierra HD Build Thread

Figured I'd start a thread for those who have ordered a new-body HD or are looking at ordering one.  

I ordered a Silverado 2500HD High Country, 6.6 gas, 4x4, CCSB on April 15. Received info this week that I have a TPW of 6-24-19. Really excited, as I've never ordered a vehicle before, so the whole process is new to me. I didn't want Z71, diesel, or a sunroof, so I ordered it like I wanted.

Share your orders or thoughts, folks!

• Like 2

Got "first allotment" at local dealer for a 2020 Sierra Denali HD Duramax. Ordered April 16, 2019. Looks like they will go into production next week.

Searching daily to find specific bed dimensions & trailer camera available info. Frustratingly scarce at this point. 

Bought several new vehicles off of lots....first time 'ordering one'. 

Figuring another 8 weeks before laying eyes on 'my truck'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhitProcter said:

Got "first allotment" at local dealer for a 2020 Sierra Denali HD Duramax. Ordered April 16, 2019. Looks like they will go into production next week.

Searching daily to find specific bed dimensions & trailer camera available info. Frustratingly scarce at this point. 

Bought several new vehicles off of lots....first time 'ordering one'. 

Figuring another 8 weeks before laying eyes on 'my truck'. 

Inside length,  at floor     82.2 (2088)        96 (2438)
Inside height,  box     21 (533)        21 (533)
Inside width,  between wheelhousing     51.85 (1317)    50.55 (1284)
Wall to Wall,  box width     71.4 (1814)     71.4 (1814)

Standard on Denali:

PQB         Driver Alert Package I, includes (UD5) Front and Rear Park Assist, (UKC) Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert and (UFG) Rear Cross Traffic Alert

PDJ         Driver Alert Package II includes (UEU) Forward Collision Alert, (UFL) Lane Departure Warning, (UHY) Automatic Emergency Braking, (TQ5) IntelliBeam headlamps and (UE4) Following Distance Indicator

Optional on SLT, AT4 and Denali

CWM         Technology Package, includes (UVS) HD Surround Vision, (DRZ) Rear Camera Mirror, (UVN) Bed View Camera and (UV6) Multicolor 15" Diagonal Head-Up Display

Standard on Denali:

UFG    Rear Cross Traffic Alert 

UKC    Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert 
UE4    Following Distance Indicator        
 UEU    Forward Collision Alert 
TQ5    IntelliBeam, automatic high beam on/off
UFL    Lane Departure Warning 
UHY    Automatic Emergency Braking 
HS1    Safety Alert Seat 

Optional - all/most

DRZ         Rear Camera Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming with full camera display

UVN         Bed View Camera, camera in the CHMSL to show a view of the cargo bed, includes Two Trailer Camera Provisions

Optional - SLT, AT4, Denali

UVS    HD Surround Vision with Two Trailer View Camera Provisions, provides the driver with an overhead view of the scene around the vehicle on a center stack display

6 hours ago, redwngr said:

Inside length,  at floor     82.2 (2088)        96 (2438)
Inside height,  box     21 (533)        21 (533)
Inside width,  between wheelhousing     51.85 (1317)    50.55 (1284)
Wall to Wall,  box width     71.4 (1814)     71.4 (1814)

redwngr

Thanks for the specs. Odd how GM changes available data from body to body. Why publish different measurements for different vehicles? Would think standardized set of numbers would be helpful. 

No word from GM about the trailer cameras...will they be the same as used in the current Trailer Camera Package or new hardware? Cost of remote cameras?

Hoping to find more detailed dimensions once released. Talked with Retrax about getting an early order in but they can't begin to fit until they get more data.

Body manuals include box measurements such as this for the 2019 LT....not even sure this is what they need, but am told they can't do anything with available data yet...

***Not trying to hijack this build thread....PM if you'd like to continue a discussion on these details or maybe mod can move to a new one

2019_R4B_NG_LD_FS_CK_PU_01_14_2019 - Box.jpg

5 hours ago, WhitProcter said:

2019_R4B_NG_LD_FS_CK_PU_01_14_2019 - Box.jpg

The 8 foot measurement will probably be the same as the 1500.  The standard bed is 6ft9in on the HD for 2020, not 6ft6in like the 1500 and older HD.  I don't think any tonneaus from a 2019 1500 will fit...

2020 6ft 9in:

Box Length at Floor:

82.2 in. (2089 mm)

Box Height:

21 in. (533 mm)

Box Width between Wheelhousings:

51.9 in. (1317 mm)

Max Box Volume:

69.6 cu. ft. (1970 L)

Box Lift-In Height:

38.9 in. (988 mm)

Edited by newdude

14 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

I can't wait for the first wave to start hitting the wrecking yards so I can get a 6.6 to use for something fun lol.

This is getting to be a common theme. The performance shops are chomping on the bit to get their hands on these. The new 6.6 is one of the things GM has got right lately, at least on paper. 

16 minutes ago, magnum74 said:

This is getting to be a common theme. The performance shops are chomping on the bit to get their hands on these. The new 6.6 is one of the things GM has got right lately, at least on paper. 

Yup it is.  The power is pretty dismal stock and being an HD they probably never really get tuned especially if it's not an E99 controller.   And even if they do... who is paying $2k plus to tune an HD gas pot lol.  But that is HD truck tuning for 87 octane and foot to the mat 24/7 so looking at it that way there is so much more there with timing and good fuel... Beauty of Alberta and where I work... company's love these trucks so old Pick and Pull on the west end of Edmonton will be full of them in 10 years hahaha.  No matter on the tuning though for the guys swapping as pull the thing and hook it to an E92... done.  All the world of tuning and cheap to do so.  I mean even stock provided they use the 6.2's heads which they most likely are this thing with a mild cam and long tubes will be unreal with some ignition timing and premium gas.  I was happy to see 10.8:1 compression as that is fine... Easily make in excess of 500 Hp and 550 lb ft without a lot of effort.  And plus you get a crank and rods you can use in an LS for a stroker too.  I am going to buy a 2016-2018 1/2 ton at some point with a 5.3 in it and dump one of these in it.  

13 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Yup it is.  The power is pretty dismal stock and being an HD they probably never really get tuned especially if it's not an E99 controller.   And even if they do... who is paying $2k plus to tune an HD gas pot lol.  But that is HD truck tuning for 87 octane and foot to the mat 24/7 so looking at it that way there is so much more there with timing and good fuel... Beauty of Alberta and where I work... company's love these trucks so old Pick and Pull on the west end of Edmonton will be full of them in 10 years hahaha.  No matter on the tuning though for the guys swapping as pull the thing and hook it to an E92... done.  All the world of tuning and cheap to do so.  I mean even stock provided they use the 6.2's heads which they most likely are this thing with a mild cam and long tubes will be unreal with some ignition timing and premium gas.  I was happy to see 10.8:1 compression as that is fine... Easily make in excess of 500 Hp and 550 lb ft without a lot of effort.  And plus you get a crank and rods you can use in an LS for a stroker too.  I am going to buy a 2016-2018 1/2 ton at some point with a 5.3 in it and dump one of these in it.  

I live in the Devon area, very familiar with where you're talking about. Spent many hours in those yards when I was young and poor haha I'm no engine builder but I definitely unberstand the reasons why this thing will be fun to play with. A 2021 L8T will likely be my next unit. My trucks stay stock due to use and abuse but it doesn't stop me from living vicariously through everyone elses builds :cheers:

29 minutes ago, magnum74 said:

I live in the Devon area, very familiar with where you're talking about. Spent many hours in those yards when I was young and poor haha I'm no engine builder but I definitely unberstand the reasons why this thing will be fun to play with. A 2021 L8T will likely be my next unit. My trucks stay stock due to use and abuse but it doesn't stop me from living vicariously through everyone elses builds :cheers:

I'm not young really... I don't fit in in the pick and pulls anymore driving in with a brand new truck... so on Monday I am taking my rusty old 05 to more play the part.  Doing a "hoopty" build on a buddies square body mud truck and our first pick and pull LQ4 spun a rod bearing ( from the van it was in and not us) and so back it goes.  Can't beat $350 with a 13 month warranty lol.  I am dropping the pan in the yard on the next one lol.  

My stuff can't stay stock... it pisses me off.  My 2017 HD was such a dog but after a tune and 4.56's it does okay and world's better being abused lol.  Plus when hooked to my trailer with even 9000 lbs it actually pulls it.. not acts like its going to explode every incline.  The old 05 has survived 340000 kms of WOT 6000 rpm shifts, no torque management and foot to mat heavy loaded and pulling.... and zero powertrain failures or repairs really to date.  Hell I just bought a 2013 6.2 powered half ton and its a nice stock truck... but it's stockness is annoying and the 6.2 knocks a bit hot idle (common problem even with 75000 kms).  So I have another 6.2 here that I will put pistons in ( same problem as the one in my truck), cam, VVT limiter, springs, pushrods and trunions.  Then dump it back in the truck and spin it 6800 rpm or so lol.  

Oh yeah... the 05, the 13 and the 17 are all my company owned work trucks.... I abuse them harder drive wise than anyone can stock lol.  

I can't buy one of these 2020 plus trucks... I am not driving another stock GM truck.

But this is a thread for those that want too and will be maybe my future parts trucks lol

Edited by SierraHD17

On 5/31/2019 at 5:48 AM, WhitProcter said:

redwngr

Thanks for the specs. Odd how GM changes available data from body to body. Why publish different measurements for different vehicles? Would think standardized set of numbers would be helpful. 

No word from GM about the trailer cameras...will they be the same as used in the current Trailer Camera Package or new hardware? Cost of remote cameras?

Find the video of the press introductions that were done a Flint a while back. The vids show the many modes available.

The 2020 camera system is much much different than what was available in the past.

They have recently announced that it the new camera systems will also be available on the 1500's.

• Like 1

Dealer sent me pricing this morning on my build

2020 Sierra 2500 AT4. 

color brownstone metallic (495)

Msrp 76,910.00

invoice 72,530

AT4 premium package 4215

duramax 9890

tech package 2125

sunroof 995

Is it worth the extra 10 grand vs buying a 19’ denali right now?

11 hours ago, karam00 said:

Dealer sent me pricing this morning on my build

2020 Sierra 2500 AT4. 

color brownstone metallic (495)

Msrp 76,910.00

invoice 72,530

AT4 premium package 4215

duramax 9890

tech package 2125

sunroof 995

Is it worth the extra 10 grand vs buying a 19’ denali right now?

I predict that opinions will vary....

Only you can decide if you'd rather the features of new truck and the AT4 trim level vs the existing Denali ..

Certainly a different decision that comparing something like '18 vs '19 in 2 different trim levels.

Did they tell you that the order guide currently says that 'brownstone metallic', a new colour, (rpo GNK) is

' - Available at extra charge. Not available on Denali. Not available at Start of Production.'?

Edited by redwngr