L83 stock rwhp numbers

Not sure on the torque management. I have lt4 supercharger now and was up to 515 hp 515 torque , since have added 1 7/8 kooks headers , and hollowed cats due to innerds breaking loose had 1 3/4 headers before. I’ve probably gained a few more hp but haven’t dyno again.  Dusted my stock torque converter,  so built 6 speed now with Circle d converter 

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/5-3l-l83-dyno-test/

Interesting read. Stock intake, exhaust manifold's perform great, tb opens all of the way. The headers dyno isnt really relevant though. Take note of the correction factor (standard), Looks like it definitely makes the 355 (j1349) its rated for. 

Edit*

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/518-hp-520-lb-ft-straight-crate/

Edited by M1ck3y
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hey, I’ve been down the rabbit hole for builds. Probably more than most ever will. At this point with a truck new to me I’ve been reconsidering the

A. Power addiction problem I have and

B. Cost for convenience

So, Just curious why people don’t just Whipple from the jump. 

Approximate #s 

CAI $400 average
long tubes typically run $1,400 (DTC always) needs tune. 

y pipe w/ cats $1,000

cat back $2,500

L86 intake + TB $350 ($700 ported)

Flex fuel kit around $300

tune $650-$1000+

None of this includes install $$ if you’re unable to do yourself. So on the lower side you’ve spent around $6,700 ish. The cost per 1whp is $20.00 on the lowest side. On the, do it for me side it’s upwards of $10k (depending on a shops per hour rate) or $30+ per 1whp

brand new whipple kit with tune is around $7,450. Why not spend the extra $750 and put down 450 whp over 320-350?  Putting you around $16.00 per 1whp. Just curious. 

3 hours ago, DenaliX14 said:

Hey, I’ve been down the rabbit hole for builds. Probably more than most ever will. At this point with a truck new to me I’ve been reconsidering the

A. Power addiction problem I have and

B. Cost for convenience

So, Just curious why people don’t just Whipple from the jump. 

Approximate #s 

CAI $400 average
long tubes typically run $1,400 (DTC always) needs tune. 

y pipe w/ cats $1,000

cat back $2,500

L86 intake + TB $350 ($700 ported)

Flex fuel kit around $300

tune $650-$1000+

None of this includes install $$ if you’re unable to do yourself. So on the lower side you’ve spent around $6,700 ish. The cost per 1whp is $20.00 on the lowest side. On the, do it for me side it’s upwards of $10k (depending on a shops per hour rate) or $30+ per 1whp

brand new whipple kit with tune is around $7,450. Why not spend the extra $750 and put down 450 whp over 320-350?  Putting you around $16.00 per 1whp. Just curious. 

If you want to talk cubic inch per dollar, why not do a 6.6l l8t swap and get 401hp N.A. do it yourself price depending on the l8t you find $7-9k for some shop to do it $9-15k. If you've got money to burn get that pig bored and stroked to a 427 then add the Whipple then you'll be somewhere around 800hp (rough guess) my lsx 376 puts down 800hp and it was 450hp N.A. 

Who the hell is buying  $2500 cat back exhaust? I payed like $400 for my dynomax kit and it's been on the truck for like 5 years now. I painted it prior to install for like $20, no way I'd spend $2500 for something that doesn't even gain me any performance.

Same with headers and a catted y-pipe, there are so many options out there that would be less than $2400 combined.

I'm only saying this because I think those prices for those two things are absurd. The other things sound about right if you buy the high end stuff. I converted to flex fuel for $80 because the harness is already under the truck, just extend the wires and add the sensor back at the fuel tank with some new fittings.

But a whipple or TVS kit is the best way to go for easy power. Buying used can save a ton of money too.