Honeycomb Grill de-chrome

Hi

I have the chrome honeycomb grill on my 14 Silverado. I like the chrome, but i think it`s a little "too much". I`m thinking about changing to a Z71 grill, but they`re expensive, even used. And they`re mostly damaged.

My question is: Is it possible to just change the inserts of the grill? Like the chrome honeycomb for a z71 insert? So that when I buy a used one, I just have to look that the insert is in good condition? Or is it different?

Any experciences blacking out the honeycomb with plastidip? Will it stay on the chrome? And is it removeable without any damage to the grill? (in case it gets bad, or i change my mind)

I replaced my 015 all chrome grille to the chrome surround with black honeycomb when I bought mine. Ask the parts guru at the stealership if I could just order the honeycombs since they are replaceable on the 014/015s. Answer was NO as nobody sells the combs separately. He did hit up their paint department about R&R & painting them. They wanted 400 bucks and wouldn’t guarantee  the paint to stick. So it was actually cheaper for me to replace mine after selling the stock one. 

I’d check with your local auto body shops/salvage yards to see if they have any “broken grilles” you can rob the combs/Z71 inserts out of. There is several videos on YouTube on how to R&R them.

I did see a set of used black combs listed once on FleaBay & several sets of chrome.

Look for a used/broken one on your local Craigslist. This is where I sold mine to a body guy rebuilding a 015.

I Plasti Dipped the front bowtie on my 01 2500HD white 5-6 years ago along with many other things on several other vehicles. It has held up well over the years except I did get one small tear in it from the power washer at the car wash from getting to close to it with it.  I thought about doing the combs with black dip but decided against it do to the shape/size/and potential pain in the azz to touch up. If I was to go the DIY route I think I’d try something permanent like Raptor liner or decrome the plastic and paint/coat it. If you decide to do Dip check out dipyourcar.com lots of tips and tricks along with custom colors ect. Also make sure you get enough thin layers of Dip on it so it will peel off if you decide to get rid of it. 90% of the complaints you read about people bitchin about it being hard to get off is because it was never thick enough to start with. Plasti Dip is like paint it’s 95% prep and 5% application.

• 2 weeks later...

i was in the same boat with mine, just pulled out the grill inserts, simple since they detach easily, and originally plastidipped them. once I was sure they looked the way I wanted, pulled them back and painted them. looks as good as if they were original

If you can source the black grill parts for a good price, I would do that. I had my Denali grill professionally stripped and painted. The paint chips off like crazy. I use a sharpie to go over the chips every time I wash it. I plasti dipped the lower chrome piece at the same time and it has held up perfectly. I wish I had just done the whole thing with dip.

I also did this exact thing for my friend when he picked up his Silverado. I got him a RC light bar and decided to do it while we were in there.

Both trucks spend a lot of time in the desert.

E241B6CB-5F0F-49DD-B41B-5A0C7B50BF1C.jpeg

C55460D2-EB46-44CF-A351-56C43B78BF58.jpeg

Definitely just find some used inserts online if you can or get a different style from the aftermarket. One thing to note though is the standard black honeycomb grills do not detatch from the grille. I was trying to put chrome inserts on mine and it was all one piece, so finding stock black honeycomb inserts is probably impossible (so dont spend time trying to find that!)