Large inverter & dual battery setup

So earlier tonight I got a great deal from one of my customer - a Tripp Lite 2000w inverter and remote control module. Part # PV2000FC for the inverter. He has them on every one of his work trucks and swears by them. 

This thing is huge. I've seen on YouTube where an individual placed his under the rear bench - but this thing, impossible. Do i need one this large? If anything I would use it for my laser printer, Milwaukee battery charger, etc - anything work related. Again prolly not, but I really got this inverter for a steal - and it's brand new (well hasn't been used yet). I would like to use it if possible, if anything be really creative where to safely mount it. If not, sell it.

My question have you guys installed an inverter this size in your 1500?

Also i would like to add dual battery setup. However where the space where the 2nd battery supposedly sits, I currently have my relays and my rocker switch module. You guys with dual batteries - where did you mount your relays and rocker switch control module safely under the hood?

20190704_003705.jpg

• Like 1

2000W @ 110V = 18A

110V x 18A = 170A minimum @ 12V, and from TripLite's website, it takes 200A to put out that 2000W.

You'll want either a single, higher-output or dual alternators to keep up with that inverter, otherwise it'll quickly kill even a dual battery setup.  And you'll need a high-idle setup, so that the alternators actually put out that current.

If you've got a regular use for it, go for installing it, but it sounds more like it's just something you got cheap and would maybe use it every once in awhile.

I would recommend selling it, as to install it and make it a usable setup will likely cost you a decent amount of money.  If you do want to use 110V stuff at a worksite, get a portable generator instead.  It's smaller, cheaper, way more efficient, you can put it where you want

Selling it. 

Thank you Davester..when I say got it cheap it was practically free (with a discount given from a service I done for one of his business). I figured if it was done, it would have been nice. 

Portable generator was an option for me awhile back, but Milwaukee tools being so useful as of lately, there was never a need for one (also space was an issue as well).

10 hours ago, SwisherSweets said:

Selling it. 

Thank you Davester..when I say got it cheap it was practically free (with a discount given from a service I done for one of his business). I figured if it was done, it would have been nice. 

Portable generator was an option for me awhile back, but Milwaukee tools being so useful as of lately, there was never a need for one (also space was an issue as well).

Do you have a 110 outlet from the factory?  I charge 18V Milwaukee batteries with mine when needed. 

Yep. I do as well. It works fine.

It's our HP LaserJet- that won't work.

I've resorted to using a portable thermal ink printer for printing customer's invoice on the clutch, but I prefer the quality of laser print. 

14 hours ago, SwisherSweets said:

Yep. I do as well. It works fine.

It's our HP LaserJet- that won't work.

I've resorted to using a portable thermal ink printer for printing customer's invoice on the clutch, but I prefer the quality of laser print. 

Keep in mind it’s only going to pull the amount of juice your device asks for. So just because it’s 2000w doesn’t mean it’s going to pull that much. Do not ditch it yet.

there is a certain type of higher quality inverters (i forget what they are called) that have lower parasitic drains on the battery, that might be one of them.

Edited by truckguy82

I put it up on OfferUp, no bites - not even a lowball. 

Last night I was at parents for the fireworks, I talked things over with dad as he looked under the hood. 

First priority, remove switch control module for now. As the months went by I've been adding lights, etc to switch module and relays - it looks pretty messy. He agrees to adding 2nd battery and use that to power switches, relays and accessories (in a clean orderly fashion). 

He looked at the inverter sitting at the backseat, laughed and says I don't need it.  

Now I want it on more than ever now. 

Earlier today I made a list of what accessories I would be running and possibly even in the future and at most HP LaserJet printer. If that doesn't work, at most 2 Lamphus 7" LED Beacons @ 22 watts each at most prolly 4 to 6 hours of the day. 

If you are mainly using low-power stuff, and higher power stuff only for short periods of time, then I would suggest hooking the inverter up to the second battery, with a battery isolator, so you can still start your truck if you happen to use it a bit more than expected.  And perhaps an ammeter & voltmeter on the input side of the inverter as well.  The ammeter to tell you how big of a hit using any given piece of equipment is causing, and the voltmeter to tell you if you should start up the truck to charge up the battery.

Edit:  But make sure you wire it for the maximum current needed for the inverter.  Otherwise, someone (you, somebody else you work with or sell the truck to) will use it to the maximum, and possibly burn the truck down because the wiring melted.

Edited by davester

2 hours ago, davester said:

Edit:  But make sure you wire it for the maximum current needed for the inverter.  Otherwise, someone (you, somebody else you work with or sell the truck to) will use it to the maximum, and possibly burn the truck down because the wiring melted.

Or he could use a fuse like you’re supposed to

Thank you both guys for the help.

The dual battery project is a go. Dad said he will help with the installation and supply wiring/cables - even the battery - I just gotta come up with isolator, fuse and junction block (power for accessories). As I order parts for the battery and more wiring and end connnector for rocker switch projects, I will research more about inverters and order parts accordingly. The ammeter/voltmeter is a great suggestion. I found several types of LCD display on Amazon that might fit that bill. 

I can get my dad to install inverter - I just have to convince him.. He said it can be done but he does not like the idea of it sitting so far away from 2nd battery. He would rather have it closer, perhaps the foot space between passenger and driver at most - and from the inverter have a long extension cord to wherever I need it. 

I will see how it goes next week with installation when parts come in.

Again it's not a necessity for me to have inverter installed. I see it as "I can use it but it's too big but I can't sell it as well so what do I do with it now" attitude. 

I considered suggesting a fuse to permit using smaller wiring, but some items use a larger initial amount of power, in particular the laser printer the O.P. was going to use, so it may be prone to blowing/tripping the fuse while powering up (or starting up a new print job).