Tahoe RES, movies on USB/HD, Selecting Files

I have a 2019 Tahoe with a rear entertainment system. I have a ton of digital movies in various formats on hard drives. 
When I plug in a drive or USB the video plays no problem. tried NTFS and FAT32

The issue i am having is indexing the files, there is no way to choose which movie you want to play. The system will just play one movie after the next. If you hit the forward or back button it will just skip to the next movie. 

There is no menu and when I search the folder it is showing "no content". 

has anybody encountered this? or figured out how to create a menu system. 

Thanks,

I have a 2019 Tahoe with a rear entertainment system. I have a ton of digital movies in various formats on hard drives. 
When I plug in a drive or USB the video plays no problem. tried NTFS and FAT32

The issue i am having is indexing the files, there is no way to choose which movie you want to play. The system will just play one movie after the next. If you hit the forward or back button it will just skip to the next movie. 

There is no menu and when I search the folder it is showing "no content". 

has anybody encountered this? or figured out how to create a menu system. 

Thanks,

I just have done this a few days ago, you can creat a playlist of different contents and sorting.
For me for instance, I have made two playlist for my two kids. Each has his own files, and same thing (same procedure) to my audio files.
I’ll explain here and I hope you get the idea:

Using you PC/laptop
First, put the files as the sorting you need in folders and you can number them to get ride of alphabetical order, for example:
01-Action
02-Thriller
03-Drama

And for (each) folder, generate a text file using notepad, but choose save as (01-Action.m3u), and start to add/type file names as they appear in the folder as this order:

01-Action/
01-Action/Movie01.mp4
01-Action/Movie02.mp4
01-Action/Movie03.mp4

And so on for all files at that folder.
*** NAMES OF FILES MUST BE EXACTLY IDENTICAL, SO IF YOU RENAME A FILE, GO AND CHANGE THE NAME AT THE PLAYLIST ***

Do the same thing for the next folder, so (02-Thriller.m3u), and inside are file names:

02-Thriller/
02-Thriller/Movie04.mp4
02-Thriller/Movie05.mp4

You will end up at this hierarchy:

Flash Drive/Hard Disk:
>> 01-Action (as folder)
>> 02-Thriller(as folder)
>> 03-Drama(as folder)
>> 01-Action.m3u(as m3u file)
>> 02-Thriller.m3u(as m3u file)
>> 03-Drama.m3u(as m3u file)

I hope you get the idea, let me know if you have a question. And sure let me know how it goes with final results when accomplished.

7 hours ago, SARNCAN said:

I just have done this a few days ago, you can creat a playlist of different contents and sorting.
For me for instance, I have made two playlist for my two kids. Each has his own files, and same thing (same procedure) to my audio files.

Using you PC/laptop
First, put the files as the sorting you need in folders and you can number them to get ride of alphabetical order, for example:
01-Action
02-Thriller
03-Drama

And for (each) folder, generate a text file using notepad, but choose save as (01-Action.m3u), and start to add/type file names as they appear in the folder as this order:

01-Action/
01-Action/Movie01.mp4
01-Action/Movie02.mp4
01-Action/Movie03.mp4

*** NAMES OF FILES MUST BE EXACTLY IDENTICAL, SO IF YOU RENAME A FILE, GO AND CHANGE THE NAME AT THE PLAYLIST ***

Do the same thing for the next folder, so (02-Thriller.m3u), and inside are file names:

02-Thriller/
02-Thriller/Movie04.mp4
02-Thriller/Movie05.mp4

Flash Drive/Hard Disk:
>> 01-Action (as folder)
>> 03-Drama(as folder)

I hope you get the idea, let me know if you have a question. And sure let me know how it goes with final results when accomplished.

I have tested and it is working. Thank you for taking the time for the write up.

I created one master playlist with around 20 movies. I am only able to navigate the playlist from the rear with the rear remote while the Hard Drive is plugged into a rear USB. i can see the menu up front but cannot control it, which is a problem as the kids are to small to operate the remote. 

When I plug the HDD in a front USB i am able to see the playlist, but it will not play and the playlist show "no content"

Another issue i am facing, is the rear USB seems be powered when the vehicle is off, so the wife will have to plug and unplug the HDD when not in use. 

I am only able to navigate the playlist from the rear with the rear remote while the Hard Drive is plugged into a rear USB. i can see the menu up front but cannot control it, which is a problem as the kids are to small to operate the remote. 

When I plug the HDD in a front USB i am able to see the playlist, but it will not play and the playlist show "no content"

No problem,

Same here unfortunately, I cannot change files from front and I am still struggling with it!

• 3 months later...

My truck plays movies fine I have my hmi2.5 with navi unlock by WAMS, from what I’ve heard largest usb stick u can use is a 32gb that’s what I’m currently using I can pause, fast forward, rewind, and pick what movie I want but the movies are 720p Formatted in fat32 seem to work better as I had another usb in 1080p that wouldn’t let me pick what movie or would just pick random for some odd reason 

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2019 at 6:08 AM, SARNCAN said:

Using you PC/laptop
01-Action
02-Thriller
03-Drama

01-Action/
01-Action/Movie01.mp4
01-Action/Movie02.mp4
01-Action/Movie03.mp4

02-Thriller/
02-Thriller/Movie04.mp4
02-Thriller/Movie05.mp4

Flash Drive/Hard Disk:
>> 01-Action (as folder)
>> 03-Drama(as folder)

@SARNCAN  hope all is good with you & yours.    I have a 2018 tahoe premier.  added the navtool video in motion mod.  i have since been trying to gain access to a "menu/directory" to play mp4 from rear usb.  i can get the movies to play; however they just play in what ever order the systems decides.  i found & followed your post about the .m3u files.  however i am missing or failing somewhere.  very happy to find this community.  maybe my failure was a blessing in disguise (finding the forum community). does writing the text pad like you explain go into the root file or labeled file?  ie "01-kids" and are vids m3u files together in same folder?

[mention=195398]SARNCAN[/mention]  hope all is good with you & yours.    I have a 2018 tahoe premier.  added the navtool video in motion mod.  i have since been trying to gain access to a "menu/directory" to play mp4 from rear usb.  i can get the movies to play; however they just play in what ever order the systems decides.  i found & followed your post about the .m3u files.  however i am missing or failing somewhere.  very happy to find this community.  maybe my failure was a blessing in disguise (finding the forum community). does writing the text pad like you explain go into the root file or labeled file?  ie "01-kids" and are vids m3u files together in same folder?

Yes

*.m3u goes in root, folders contain media only

But keep file names identical

• Thanks 1

@SARNCAN still cant get anything to work other then playing movies as order of folder only.  

i think im doing something wrong with the m3u file.  but seems to simple to be so.  one thing i noticed i think is weird every time (pre your help & post writing the M3u) when skipping movies: black bar on screen shows info "track 0" 

drive.JPG

moviecompare.JPG

[mention=195398]SARNCAN[/mention] still cant get anything to work other then playing movies as order of folder only.  

i think im doing something wrong with the m3u file.  but seems to simple to be so.  one thing i noticed i think is weird every time (pre your help & post writing the M3u) when skipping movies: black bar on screen shows info "track 0" 

drive.JPG.ccbeb3432a8a7d4f6c249ceeca448214.JPG

moviecompare.thumb.JPG.884bc22f986aa1478481ae5cdc96de76.JPG

It looks fine to me and as it should be.

Try with audio files and plug it in the front, then use (playlist) not (music) at the media/browse infotainment option. It should be separated as folders.

Same concept will be for video files.

Contact me if you still can’t get it done

• 2 months later...
how do you guys take a dvd and put it on a usb ? what software do i need???

It has been a while since I play with that stuff, but I remember NERO was a good software to manage CD/DVD/mp3
For now, I use online format conversion website to convert media directly from the source using its url