Towing a car hauler.

14 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Set your driver info screen to display your transmission temperature just to keep an eye on it. It will get a little hotter than it usually does, but it shouldn't run away either.

Two things...  First, I was able to locate a 16' flat bed car hauler last night I can use.  That should make the trip much easier with much less wind resistance and a bit lighter load.  Very happy about that.  Second, how do I set the trans temp on the info screen?  I thought I'd been through that whole menu and I don't recall seeing transmission temp as an option anywhere.

10 hours ago, Reit38 said:

Any pics of the sumo springs you speak of.? I've been thinking about air bags in the rear for pulling our camper

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Google Sumo Springs  they just replace the factory snubber already on your frame above axle I’d never go back to air bags I use the blue light duty version do not effect ride when truck not loaded I carrya yard of stone in my box does not sag

946F5FA5-4A75-486C-82AA-9713E62D5FB0.png

2 hours ago, chief1600 said:

Two things...  First, I was able to locate a 16' flat bed car hauler last night I can use.  That should make the trip much easier with much less wind resistance and a bit lighter load.  Very happy about that.  Second, how do I set the trans temp on the info screen?  I thought I'd been through that whole menu and I don't recall seeing transmission temp as an option anywhere.

To view transmission temperature on driver information control (DIC) screen do the following:

1. Press left arrow on steering wheel to take you to menu options on DIC

2. Scroll down to settings

3. Scroll until you reach Info Pages and press right arrow, different options Oil Life, Tire Pressure, Fuel Economy, etc.... will appear.

4. Scroll down to the Transmission Fluid option and press the check mark button.

5. Exit the menu, return to Info Menu and scroll through the transmission fluid temperature will appear.

Lots of good advice above re: towing.  Give yourself plenty of space between cars and anticipate having to slow down ahead of time.   The brakes on your truck are adequate for daily driving, all bets are off towing 6K pounds or more. Familiarize yourself with how the truck and trailer feel at different speeds.  With a 20 foot trailer weighing 5,500 pounds Ioaded, I occasionally pull for work 68-70 miles per hour is the fastest I feel comfortable driving as the sway is minimal.  Faster than that and the ride gets harrowing.

Good luck and safe travels.

Edited by Lgetz

Below is the Weigh Safe hitch that I use, it's a life saver. The hitch has a built in scale so you know your exact tongue weight. You want to keep it around 10-15% of the total tow weight (trailer + vehicle). I towed 5500 pounds (car hauler and my Wrangler) regularly with my Escalade and Sierra. With the tongue weight where it should be I had absolutely no away. As others mentioned, you can add say bars too, but I didn't find it necessary with my Weigh Safe hitch. It's a little pricey but with it being all billet aluminum it'll never rust, you'll have it for life. You can buy a 4", 6", or 8" drop. With as low as our receiver's are on these trucks the 4" or 6" is fine.

I think the tow/haul switch use is a personal preference. I find it useful and like it's shift points. Yeah the transmission runs a little hotter but I have never remotely come close to over heating.

Lastly, I run my rear tire pressure at 50 psi when towing. To me it's the right balance of maintaining some level of comfort while not having bulging tires due to the load.

Here's the hitch:

Weigh Safe WS8-2, 8" Drop Hitch w/ 2" Shank/Shaft, Adjustable Aluminum Trailer Hitch & Ball Mount w/ Built-in Scale, 2 Stainless Steel Balls (2" & 2-5/16") and a Double-pin Key Lock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WT2FAQG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_unbtDbHC7JBJ0

Edited by midwestdenaliguy

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2019 at 9:34 PM, CDNSS said:

I tow a enclosed 24 hauler with my car in it to events 

With my 2010 5.3 and now my 2017 6.2 

wind will I’ll be a big issue as said

I don’t use tow / haul. The more the trans up and down shifts the more it heats up 

with 8 spd trans tow in 6th gear so engine rpm  about 2500 2700 at 65 mph. Engine will be fine I’ve towed my rig 10000 miles with the 5.3 at that rpm over 5 yrs 

my 6.2 I tow same rpm it gets better mileage than 5.3 plus the power 

the he real problem is the rear suspension even with a quality equalizer hitch it will sag stock. I used air bags on my 2010 and now Sumo Springs  on my 2017 they great  they are rubber “spring” that replaces the factory rubber snubber  and not that expensive easy to install 

my 1500 stance with trailer loaded with car. Sumo Springs and Equalizer Hitch    No sway or bounce. Well worth it 

yes into  to strong headwind you will get 8 mpg at 60 mph 

87AF45FB-55CE-4130-97EC-F08EC8E631BD.jpeg

Do you hook your weight distribution hitch up before or after you load the car into the trailer?

Can’t remember exactly in my brother’s case, but I believe once the vehicle or load is on the trailer you go and adjust the bars with the short chains on them leveling out the rear of the tow vehicle as well as the trailer tongue.  Been a long time , can’t quite remember....