6.0 Exhaust Manifold Bolts

For all those wondering...

The GM exhaust manifold issue is alive and well with the 2014-19 generation.

I just had all driver-side bolts replaced under powertrain warranty. I have 44k miles on the truck, and heard what I suspected was a manifold leak.

Boom - warranty replaced it. Let's hope the passenger side bolt breaks before August of 2020!!

Just change all of them one at time preventatively... warranty doesn't last forever lol.  They are really easy to change when the heads aren't broken off yet lol.  I have thought of doing the ARP studs with the manifolds but I am sure those will still shear off with the movement of the cast and then be impossible to get out being stainless.

Edited by SierraHD17

Same problem with my Detroit 12.7L in my semi truck.  I just ovaled out the bolt holes in the exhaust manifold  and it cured the problem.  When you have two different metals connected, the expansion and contraction rates are different and eventually something has to give.  Cast iron manifolds and aluminum heads are going to fight against each other in this regard.

So one can either oval out the bolt holes, or do an alternative solution.  Something like brackets from Kral.

https://kralautoparts.com/parts

Edited by Cowpie

offroadman83, I looked for your previous thread and can't find it. Is it titled as something other than manifold bolts?
Its in troubleshooting
Titled something else "well i had to take it in" or something like that. Not really much tech just crap

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1