Front Camera Wiring Harness Installation

On 1/14/2020 at 2:03 PM, BlancoSilverado said:

Did you receive this yet? How does it look?

Did it come with all the parts needed(camera, wiring to camera...)

On 1/14/2020 at 2:03 PM, BlancoSilverado said:

Did you receive this yet? How does it look?

Did it come with all the parts needed(camera, wiring to camera...)

Yeah, I've received and after spent couple of hours and realized that didn't work. tl:dr; module software is not compatible with 2019/2020 model infotainment system, vendor told me that they are going to fix the issue within 6 months. 

Other than the camera, all required parts came with the package and perfectly fit in OEM harness. 

On 1/14/2020 at 8:06 PM, Streetz said:

Hi there, I am interested un knowing how your system turned out, have to changed it?

I have been researching this a bit and I have some options I am considering.

1. Getting a 360 bird view camera system from china. Some come with an lcd screen. Or without an LCD, as a analog yellow video rca line (I havent found a system with AHD output). 

2. Get a 4ch mirror dashcam. They have them where you strap it to the existing rear view mirror or an a swap. Rhey are very good quality and HD. These are not a bird eye view but you can see all around. The Downer is that the front camera is fixed into the mirror/display, so if you want front bumper view you need to sacrafice a side mirror. So you end up with two front views, a side view, and rear. They record all the time too. I may do this. 

3. Wait till they come out with a reprogrammed display unit. Theres a couple of companies that swap with you the unit and you can then have multiple camera inputs and views. Also hdmi input. Its built into the display, you have icons and many options. They have 2018 but so far I have not cone across a 2019 compatible unit. 

4. Figure out how to tap into the rear camera stream. Considering I have a non HD camera on my 2019, I may have regular rca lines. If i can replace the camera with my own feed I can use that birds eye view system. Then figure out how the display switches to reverse, hoping it's just one wire. Put hat on a switch and be able to activate reverse to display the video coming from the bird view system. They come with a remote to control what's displayed. 

I've completed my installation this weekend. Here is some photos and explanation.

Camera Mount:

1. After I tested 10 different cameras and many locations in front of the car, I decided to put the camera just under the plate. There is a plastic frame that riveted on the front bumper. I also used this camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H852D49/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Cut the rivets, I used flat screwdriver to pull them out little bit and cut it with metal cutter.

3. Drill a hole on the plate frame and tighten the camera's nut.

4. You should drill one other hole on the front bumper just behind the camera cable to run camera's power and video cable.

5. Run the cables into the bumper.

6. Put the plate frame back and rivet it with riveter tool. Don't forget to use large flange blind rivet. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-16-in-x-1-4-in-Stainless-Steel-Large-Flange-Blind-Rivet-2-Piece-per-Bag-835578/204868100?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_3_FASTENERS-NA-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Fasteners_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_3_FASTENERS-NA-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Fasteners_PLA-71700000052227365-58700005026398223-92700046753314614&gclid=CjwKCAiA35rxBRAWEiwADqB377P5RoMnLvn41vmHL2T6NdgmcVOJcuASpkAmeOWTdz0_YPQcLwH8DRoC3QIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

7. Run the cable from the inside of the front bumper to the right side of the bumper, and pull the cables up from the same place of the fog lights' cable to the top of the hood. 

8. Now, you are good to go to jump cabling section. 

Cabling:

1. Get Klein Tools 6' Glow Rod from Home Depot (life savers) after I tried many other products I can say that this is the great fit for this purpose.

2. Open little nipple on the console/main grommet.

3. Push Glow Rod into this hole, don't be scared push a bit hard.

4. Go to driver side and see the where did it pop out. Leave it into hole.

5. Go back to other end of the road and put your camera cable into the little hole of the rod and tape it tight.

6.  Then go back to the driver side and pull the rod all way in.

7. Voila you have the camera cable just under the dashboard.

8. Go back and do the same for the power cable (12-16 awg) if you want to power your camera from the fusebox that's what I did.

Power Connection:

9.Open the driver side fuse box/side cover.

10. Get 1 of these fuse adapter ( don't forget to order Micro2 or Micro 3 types) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759JVKX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11. Find the ignition activated fuse (I don't remember the fuse number now) with circuit tester

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YM5QL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. In my setup I decided to use this switch box.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNYBPQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 if you have one power up hot wire with the fuse adapter

13. Use one of the power switch hot wire(output) to power your camera.

14. Connect video cable to LCD monitor. 

15. Turn on the power switch.

16. Voila you can see the front of the car.

I also used this RAM mount on my LCD monitor. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049U40DK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please reach me out if you need more photos of camera, cabling, etc.

I hope it helps. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 1.36.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 1.36.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 1.46.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 1.55.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 2.05.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 2.09.12 PM.png

Edited by kargausa

17 hours ago, kargausa said:

I've completed my installation this weekend. Here is some photos and explanation.

Camera Mount:

1. After I tested 10 different cameras and many locations in front of the car, I decided to put the camera just under the plate. There is a plastic frame that riveted on the front bumper. I also used this camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H852D49/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Cut the rivets, I used flat screwdriver to pull them out little bit and cut it with metal cutter.

3. Drill a hole on the plate frame and tighten the camera's nut.

4. You should drill one other hole on the front bumper just behind the camera cable to run camera's power and video cable.

5. Run the cables into the bumper.

6. Put the plate frame back and rivet it with riveter tool. Don't forget to use large flange blind rivet. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-16-in-x-1-4-in-Stainless-Steel-Large-Flange-Blind-Rivet-2-Piece-per-Bag-835578/204868100?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_3_FASTENERS-NA-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Fasteners_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_3_FASTENERS-NA-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Fasteners_PLA-71700000052227365-58700005026398223-92700046753314614&gclid=CjwKCAiA35rxBRAWEiwADqB377P5RoMnLvn41vmHL2T6NdgmcVOJcuASpkAmeOWTdz0_YPQcLwH8DRoC3QIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

7. Run the cable from the inside of the front bumper to the right side of the bumper, and pull the cables up from the same place of the fog lights' cable to the top of the hood. 

8. Now, you are good to go to jump cabling section. 

Cabling:

1. Get Klein Tools 6' Glow Rod from Home Depot (life savers) after I tried many other products I can say that this is the great fit for this purpose.

2. Open little nipple on the console/main grommet.

3. Push Glow Rod into this hole, don't be scared push a bit hard.

4. Go to driver side and see the where did it pop out. Leave it into hole.

5. Go back to other end of the road and put your camera cable into the little hole of the rod and tape it tight.

6.  Then go back to the driver side and pull the rod all way in.

7. Voila you have the camera cable just under the dashboard.

8. Go back and do the same for the power cable (12-16 awg) if you want to power your camera from the fusebox that's what I did.

Power Connection:

9.Open the driver side fuse box/side cover.

10. Get 1 of these fuse adapter ( don't forget to order Micro2 or Micro 3 types) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759JVKX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11. Find the ignition activated fuse (I don't remember the fuse number now) with circuit tester

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YM5QL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. In my setup I decided to use this switch box.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNYBPQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 if you have one power up hot wire with the fuse adapter

13. Use one of the power switch hot wire(output) to power your camera.

14. Connect video cable to LCD monitor. 

15. Turn on the power switch.

16. Voila you can see the front of the car.

I also used this RAM mount on my LCD monitor. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049U40DK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please reach me out if you need more photos of camera, cabling, etc.

I hope it helps. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 1.36.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 1.36.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 1.46.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 1.55.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 2.05.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 2.09.12 PM.png

Fantastic post, thank you very much for putting that together. So far I have gone with the mirror solution that includes two cameras, one mounted on the mirror and the other is meant for reverse. I have found a location on the grill for it and will be using your guide for the wiring route and fishing. You also cleared up on where to run through the firewall so thank you again for the details. 

Here is the ignition triggered fuse picture. F26 is the fuse number. This fuse for USB ports/Special equipment option. Since the camera and display only consumes 400mA it should be fine to power them from this fuse.
1943321472_ScreenShot2020-01-27at2_56_13PM.thumb.png.add8ad67e8dbb7e0b58d35b2200ca21d.png

(Right side fuse panel)

It's pretty easy to run the cable from right to the left.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:12 AM, Streetz said:

Fantastic post, thank you very much for putting that together. So far I have gone with the mirror solution that includes two cameras, one mounted on the mirror and the other is meant for reverse. I have found a location on the grill for it and will be using your guide for the wiring route and fishing. You also cleared up on where to run through the firewall so thank you again for the details. 

Please don't forget to update some information and pictures here. Thanks. 

On 1/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, Streetz said:

Hi there, I am interested un knowing how your system turned out, have to changed it?

I have been researching this a bit and I have some options I am considering.

1. Getting a 360 bird view camera system from china. Some come with an lcd screen. Or without an LCD, as a analog yellow video rca line (I havent found a system with AHD output). 

2. Get a 4ch mirror dashcam. They have them where you strap it to the existing rear view mirror or an a swap. Rhey are very good quality and HD. These are not a bird eye view but you can see all around. The Downer is that the front camera is fixed into the mirror/display, so if you want front bumper view you need to sacrafice a side mirror. So you end up with two front views, a side view, and rear. They record all the time too. I may do this. 

3. Wait till they come out with a reprogrammed display unit. Theres a couple of companies that swap with you the unit and you can then have multiple camera inputs and views. Also hdmi input. Its built into the display, you have icons and many options. They have 2018 but so far I have not cone across a 2019 compatible unit. 

4. Figure out how to tap into the rear camera stream. Considering I have a non HD camera on my 2019, I may have regular rca lines. If i can replace the camera with my own feed I can use that birds eye view system. Then figure out how the display switches to reverse, hoping it's just one wire. Put hat on a switch and be able to activate reverse to display the video coming from the bird view system. They come with a remote to control what's displayed. 

Could you just not get the Factory part numbers of the parts that come with this feature and have them installed? 

like get the gm camera part number the wiring could potentially be there and get the hmi controller that is compatible with this feature? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 4:58 PM, Troyz71z28 said:

Could you just not get the Factory part numbers of the parts that come with this feature and have them installed? 

like get the gm camera part number the wiring could potentially be there and get the hmi controller that is compatible with this feature? 

It is possible that could be done, in my case I like to tinker so I try to come up with my own solutions. 

What I have done so far is to purchase an inexpensive mirror dash cam that straps onto the factory rear view mirror (some of them are a replacement instead of attachment). This particular one has a camera attached to the mirror on a swivel that you can rotate around and aim it where ever you want, it also has a second camera where you can mount where you please. This second camera is meant to be a back up camera so you can provide 12v to the wire it comes with to automatically switch it to that camera or you can swipe with your finger on the mirror to change cameras. In my case I created a mount with a 3d printer to attach the camera on my rear window facing the bed and rear of the truck. I just did this today and I love it, now I will be able to see back with no seat head rest obstructions and get a full wide view of the back outside. 

My next step is to get a 3rd camera that will be mounted on the grill.  I have figured out the wiring on these cameras and I ordered a switch/knob where I will run the the grill camera and the rear camera into the switch, then I can easily turn the knob to display which ever I want. These dash cams in general have a four pin TRRS 2.5mm radio plug that includes video, power, ground, and another for the reverse trigger 12v. The 3rd camera I purchased comes with a typical yellow RCA, then has a 12v plug, so i'll be wiring the 12v to some source from the truck, then write the rca into the knob and from there to the 2.5mm plug that goes into the camera. Its a fun little project and so far I love the fact of having that rear view like the high country has. If I am able to post amz links here ill share what iv gathered. 
Here is a picture of how I mounted the rear camera: 

• 5 months later...

I added birds eye to my 2020 RST silverado.  I had a trailer camera package.  I replaced trailer camera package video module with a video module reprogrammed by WAMS.  I bought new mirrors, front cam and ran wires.  I made a post about how to do it.20200705_110235.thumb.jpg.c2f6fc3bd63b2cb3e8b346a8347766c7.jpg

On 2/6/2020 at 7:37 PM, Streetz said:

It is possible that could be done, in my case I like to tinker so I try to come up with my own solutions. 

What I have done so far is to purchase an inexpensive mirror dash cam that straps onto the factory rear view mirror (some of them are a replacement instead of attachment). This particular one has a camera attached to the mirror on a swivel that you can rotate around and aim it where ever you want, it also has a second camera where you can mount where you please. This second camera is meant to be a back up camera so you can provide 12v to the wire it comes with to automatically switch it to that camera or you can swipe with your finger on the mirror to change cameras. In my case I created a mount with a 3d printer to attach the camera on my rear window facing the bed and rear of the truck. I just did this today and I love it, now I will be able to see back with no seat head rest obstructions and get a full wide view of the back outside. 

My next step is to get a 3rd camera that will be mounted on the grill.  I have figured out the wiring on these cameras and I ordered a switch/knob where I will run the the grill camera and the rear camera into the switch, then I can easily turn the knob to display which ever I want. These dash cams in general have a four pin TRRS 2.5mm radio plug that includes video, power, ground, and another for the reverse trigger 12v. The 3rd camera I purchased comes with a typical yellow RCA, then has a 12v plug, so i'll be wiring the 12v to some source from the truck, then write the rca into the knob and from there to the 2.5mm plug that goes into the camera. Its a fun little project and so far I love the fact of having that rear view like the high country has. If I am able to post amz links here ill share what iv gathered. 
Here is a picture of how I mounted the rear camera: 

Any update on this project? I'm working on something similar but I never thought of using the knob to switch cameras. I have a dash cam mirror that I'm going to install soon but I'm going to use the rear camera as a trailer camera for when I tow my enclosed trailer. I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate a front camera into this setup as well. Can you send me some links to the equipment and cables you are using? I'm not super knowledgable about electronics so even finding the right four pin cable to extend the camera reach to the back of my trailer has been difficult! lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 7:17 PM, Rally6.2RST said:

I added birds eye to my 2020 RST silverado.  I had a trailer camera package.  I replaced trailer camera package video module with a video module reprogrammed by WAMS.  I bought new mirrors, front cam and ran wires.  I made a post about how to do it.20200705_110235.thumb.jpg.c2f6fc3bd63b2cb3e8b346a8347766c7.jpg

Do you have any links and/or schematics. I am trying to find the module but GM hasn't shared much on my 2020. Thanks for sharing. 

11 minutes ago, mergeink said:

Do you have any links and/or schematics. I am trying to find the module but GM hasn't shared much on my 2020. Thanks for sharing. 

gm upfitter website was a good source. figuring out the color coding on the fakra cable is the main thing you need to figure out with diagrams.  I had a hard time buying module new for some reason, a couple dealerships  tried to say they couldnt get it.  new was like 500-750.  i got mine from a junk yard for 200.

Screenshot_20200723-093645_Drive.jpg

21 minutes ago, mergeink said:

also module number with 360 and trailer cam package is 84743036.  I had to tear a friends truck apart to find that out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 9:45 AM, Rally6.2RST said:

also module number with 360 and trailer cam package is 84743036.  I had to tear a friends truck apart to find that out. 

Thanks for that info. I am currently working with WAMS to get this setup. 

Knowing you dissected your friends car, as far as the mirrors, I currently have the side mirrors with an LED light on the bottom and motorized mirror. Seems like I just have to remove the bottom plate with one that has the camera hole? do you know if perhaps the harness is pre installed?