Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

BlueAT4

Front Camera Wiring Harness Installation

Recommended Posts

Front Camera Wiring Harness

I recently purchased an AT4 which included 4 side mirror cameras (2 forward and 2 aft) a rear camera and a trailer hitch camera. I opted out of getting the review mirror camera and the front grill camera when I ordered the truck. I really like the overhead view that is displayed in the dashboard using data from all the cameras. There is a noticeable black space at the front of the truck were the front camera should be.

 

My Question is simple,

Does anyone know if the wiring harness for the front cameras are already installed? I am hoping that the camera harness is there, and I will be able to buy that front camera, bolt it on, plug it in and have the dealership activate it in the computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask a dealer for an estimate to install it, should give you an idea with how much labor they charge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no harness. Its coax cable.  Single cable to all cameras on the 19.  You will need the image module as well.  The new Trucks are high resolution and the old twisted pair wires are not really ideal in a truck when trying to get high quality video.  The power is also through the coax.  There is no aftermarket switcher available either.  So the ability to add a camera s we did in the prior models is limited.  The screen also has a different style LVDS cable going to it so the aftermarket is gpoing to have to spend time in R&D coming up with new parts.  I am sure they will since its now in mot all Chevys. 

 

RAM went this direction also. They run the cameras into a module the module determines what to display on the screen. So if trying OEM it will require programming and chevy does not have an easy way of doing this. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And keep in mind - it’s not just a selection button the Tech pushes to activate the camera - it’s way more involved in that. And most techs at most dealerships are not trained to add these sort of features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've bought my Silverado 1500 rst 2019 model truck just few weeks ago, my truck is lifted. My first insight is lack of visibility on the front side of the vehicle. It's super dangerous to not see what is in front of the truck. Talked with Chevy to get safety package, but it's not possible. They recommend me to put a dashcam to solve this issue which is not solve my problems since it's not showing what is in front of the bumper. 

 

I've been doing research on this topic for a long time, looked at the all after market brands and cameras and new Silverado 2019-2020 comes with new Radio/Control system which has different cabling and harness then older models. New cameras are using LVDS low voltage differential signaling "https://lockdownsecurity.forumbee.com/t/3601lr/lvds-cameras-what-are-they-can-they-be-interfaced", connectors are different than coaxial cables. 

 

The vendors that I talked (20 different brands) either have no idea around what is the difference or they are in a development phase for LVDS compatibility. 

ETA for this at least 9 months, to be able to mature products we're talking about mid 2021.

 

Of course I cannot wait and put myself in risk, I decided to build my own system which is %100 isolated than embeded audio/control system until after market companies are published some products.

 

Here is my solution and products that I used;

Front Camera:

https://www.brandmotion.com/dual-mount-universal-aftermarket-cmos-camera-with-optional-parking-gridlines-9002-7601.html

 

Display: Supports up to 4 cameras

https://www.brandmotion.com/7-digital-quad-display-monitor-with-dvr-fltw-7674.html

 

Blind spot (side mirror) cameras:

https://www.brandmotion.com/blind-spot-monitoring/blind-spot/dual-camera-blind-spot-monitoring-system-w-multi-camera-switcher-9002-2904.html

 

Please share your experience and other alternative solutions here that we can follow-up this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree it’s dangerous to not be able to see in front of the vehicle, that’s where a good driver and not just technology comes into play. Your lifted truck is probably no higher than a stock 2500

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FiatDale said:

While I agree it’s dangerous to not be able to see in front of the vehicle, that’s where a good driver and not just technology comes into play. Your lifted truck is probably no higher than a stock 2500

I agree with you good driver needs to aware what is around his/her vehicle, double check before you take any action or move. I've been driving motorcycle for a long time :) my muscle memory is fairly well developed. I'm living in LA and sometimes people do super weird stuff and having an additional warning system is a plus to me. The point that I feel super frustrated about is why is it hard to find some after market solutions which is compatible with new generation vehicles. Have a great week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is it possible to upgrade to birds eye view camera or just a camera showing you what’s in front of the bumper?

 

I just bought a new 2020 Silverado Ltz premier 6.2 no birds eye view no side cameras and no rear view mirror camera I thought this was a standard feature? I didn’t realize it wasn’t until I had signed the papers!! But regardless I couldn’t find a truck with 6.2 standard bed with the technology package within 300 miles of me? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Troyz71z28 said:

So is it possible to upgrade to birds eye view camera or just a camera showing you what’s in front of the bumper?

 

I just bought a new 2020 Silverado Ltz premier 6.2 no birds eye view no side cameras and no rear view mirror camera I thought this was a standard feature? I didn’t realize it wasn’t until I had signed the papers!! But regardless I couldn’t find a truck with 6.2 standard bed with the technology package within 300 miles of me? 

Per federal law all new cars sold needs to have a  rear view camera. Have you put the truck in reverse?check the trucks apps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea it does have three different rear view cameras and front sensors just no birds eye view or front camera 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 6:12 PM, kargausa said:

I've found this module and will give it a try this weekend, I'll you know guys how it goes.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT951/iot-rvc.html

 

According to instruction guide it should be fine with new GM trucks 19/20.

https://navtv.com/media/products_file/2019/11/05/IOT-RVC_Install_manual.pdf

Did you receive this yet? How does it look?

 

Did it come with all the parts needed(camera, wiring to camera...)

Edited by BlancoSilverado

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 8:15 PM, kargausa said:

I've bought my Silverado 1500 rst 2019 model truck just few weeks ago, my truck is lifted. My first insight is lack of visibility on the front side of the vehicle. It's super dangerous to not see what is in front of the truck. Talked with Chevy to get safety package, but it's not possible. They recommend me to put a dashcam to solve this issue which is not solve my problems since it's not showing what is in front of the bumper. 

 

I've been doing research on this topic for a long time, looked at the all after market brands and cameras and new Silverado 2019-2020 comes with new Radio/Control system which has different cabling and harness then older models. New cameras are using LVDS low voltage differential signaling "https://lockdownsecurity.forumbee.com/t/3601lr/lvds-cameras-what-are-they-can-they-be-interfaced", connectors are different than coaxial cables. 

 

The vendors that I talked (20 different brands) either have no idea around what is the difference or they are in a development phase for LVDS compatibility. 

ETA for this at least 9 months, to be able to mature products we're talking about mid 2021.

 

Of course I cannot wait and put myself in risk, I decided to build my own system which is %100 isolated than embeded audio/control system until after market companies are published some products.

 

Here is my solution and products that I used;

Front Camera:

https://www.brandmotion.com/dual-mount-universal-aftermarket-cmos-camera-with-optional-parking-gridlines-9002-7601.html

 

Display: Supports up to 4 cameras

https://www.brandmotion.com/7-digital-quad-display-monitor-with-dvr-fltw-7674.html

 

Blind spot (side mirror) cameras:

https://www.brandmotion.com/blind-spot-monitoring/blind-spot/dual-camera-blind-spot-monitoring-system-w-multi-camera-switcher-9002-2904.html

 

Please share your experience and other alternative solutions here that we can follow-up this thread.

Hi there, I am interested un knowing how your system turned out, have to changed it?

I have been researching this a bit and I have some options I am considering.

 

1. Getting a 360 bird view camera system from china. Some come with an lcd screen. Or without an LCD, as a analog yellow video rca line (I havent found a system with AHD output). 

 

2. Get a 4ch mirror dashcam. They have them where you strap it to the existing rear view mirror or an a swap. Rhey are very good quality and HD. These are not a bird eye view but you can see all around. The Downer is that the front camera is fixed into the mirror/display, so if you want front bumper view you need to sacrafice a side mirror. So you end up with two front views, a side view, and rear. They record all the time too. I may do this. 

 

3. Wait till they come out with a reprogrammed display unit. Theres a couple of companies that swap with you the unit and you can then have multiple camera inputs and views. Also hdmi input. Its built into the display, you have icons and many options. They have 2018 but so far I have not cone across a 2019 compatible unit. 

 

4. Figure out how to tap into the rear camera stream. Considering I have a non HD camera on my 2019, I may have regular rca lines. If i can replace the camera with my own feed I can use that birds eye view system. Then figure out how the display switches to reverse, hoping it's just one wire. Put hat on a switch and be able to activate reverse to display the video coming from the bird view system. They come with a remote to control what's displayed. 

Edited by Streetz
Clarification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.