Oil catch can recommendations

Wants to get a good catch can brand that really works well. I don’t mind paying extra for a very good product that I won’t regret, so money is not the issue here, but the functionality.

Can someone please recommend or briefly describe their experience with catch cans. Listing YouTube videos about catch can installation is appreciated as well.

2018 Chevy Tahoe Premier (5.3L engine)

Thank you..

Have an Elite Engineering E2-X on my 2017 Tahoe 5.3. Pics attached. Also have one on my 2016 Silverado 5.3. Work great and worth the extra cost. I have the base hoses and get some chemical smell occasionally. Would suggest better hoses.8c7a0a269aae3ef175425a1489db6d30.jpg

• Like 1

Have an Elite Engineering E2-X on my 2017 Tahoe 5.3. Pics attached. Also have one on my 2016 Silverado 5.3. Work great and worth the extra cost. I have the base hoses and get some chemical smell occasionally. Would suggest better hoses.8c7a0a269aae3ef175425a1489db6d30.jpg
This is good but still not covering oil from the breathers off the valve covers. And the cls is more a boosted app issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is good but still not covering oil from the breathers off the valve covers. And the cls is more a boosted app issue.

I'm aware. I have the CSS for the truck. Didn't care for the look of the hose running over the intake and it's not boosted or run at WOT often, so took it off and didn't get one for the Tahoe.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, SARNCAN said:

Wants to get a good catch can brand that really works well. I don’t mind paying extra for a very good product that I won’t regret, so money is not the issue here, but the functionality.

Can someone please recommend or briefly describe their experience with catch cans. Listing YouTube videos about catch can installation is appreciated as well.

2018 Chevy Tahoe Premier (5.3L engine)

Thank you..

I can briefly describe my experience with catch cans, I like them, I think they do "something", not maybe as much as you'd like to believe...a fair amount of oil mist will still get past any can, but at least they do something.

For all of the talk about catch cans on here - predominantly dominated by sponsored Elite Catch cans - many cans do a "good" job and few provide evidence with THIS MOTOR IN OUR TRUCKS, of the job they are doing. You won't find comparison pictures on the 5.3's or 6.2's...the valves. Almost no one seems to take these intakes off and take photos (can't say I blame them). And no one (that I'm aware) has done a study with photos of a 5.3 with a catch can and without (photos). I've tried to place my boroscope through my throttle body, it's almost impossible due to the angles. The only way I'll ever tell if my can is worth it is if I remove my intake manifold and compare it to another truck with similar mileage without a catch can. And remarkably I could do that - I work in the trade and have two co-workers/friends that have the same truck (no catch cans) and the same commute/similar mileage. 

As far as the best, Elite claims they are...I have no reason to believe they aren't (or at least very good). 

There are install videos online, it's an easy install. PCV orifice is in the front of the motor accessed from the drivers side, and the port to the intake is also on the drivers side of the intake manifold (3/4's of the way towards the rear). It's a 1/2 hour job, to 45 minutes for a first timer...and a 10 minute job once you've done it a few times (I've had to take mine off for warranty work).

A few tips for when you own one...if you live in a cold climate, make sure you empty the can every couple weeks to avoid freezing. And to further help keep the valves clean, I disconnect the suction line every 10,000 miles (right before an oil change) and run some CRC cleaner into it (or any of the cleaner readily available today). I'd love to remove my intake and take a look to see if what I'm doing is actually "helping", but like so many others...I can't be bothered, but if I owned a catch can company I definitely would be doing that. Another thing - for all the talk about carbon buildup on valves, etc...you don't hear much about it with these engine/trucks. And there's a lot of these things on the road now with higher mileage driving around everyday without problems (which is good). yet my thought is...it can't hurt to install a catch can. And it might help.  

Edited by Doublebase
  • Like 2

Issue is with a single port. You miss the other two feed lines. Then we have water thin oil and as we know a oil amount to pressure issue. Stock engine no boost you can get away with more.
But I have said look at any performance setup for the gen V and breather tanks. With helps with ring stability. In fact you see people with vacuum pumps also.
So each his owe.
But take 2 new trucks and bypass all breathers from the intake on one other leave 100% stock. Then tell me which one has oil in the intake. It is a no brainer.

• Like 1

Issue is with a single port. You miss the other two feed lines. Then we have water thin oil and as we know a oil amount to pressure issue. Stock engine no boost you can get away with more.
But I have said look at any performance setup for the gen V and breather tanks. With helps with ring stability. In fact you see people with vacuum pumps also.
So each his owe.
But take 2 new trucks and bypass all breathers from the intake on one other leave 100% stock. Then tell me which one has oil in the intake. It is a no brainer.

So a dual port catch can is more for FI applications vs NA ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Yes and no. In FI we need much more breathing so a tank is used with or without the catch can.
Issue is a single in an single out only covers the valley cover to the middle of the intake manifold.
So the issue is under boost the intake is under pressure and the check valve from elite closes. So now you get pressure. This causes many problem and more blow by. Now you did address the 2 large hoses in the valve covers go that sees the pressure and dents it out the engine to the intake tube. So now you have oil in the intake again.
Best to have the valve covers going to the catch can and the valley cover also. On a na engine. Can cleans and always sees vaccum.
On fi old school breathers and catch can on vally cover with 2nd port to before boost source.
So you see I have 3 breather lines to tank and then elite deals with cleaning just valley. When in boost check valve closes and the 2nd port goes to before turbo. Lots of vaccum there. Not that it is needed with my breather.
So in my opinion block off intake tube, jump passenger valve cover to driver side the css to elite. Clean it all. 57b7a96c57437a3e9b42a697eb052f12.jpg539323790d4fa50d75ed7978a529e26c.jpg59220c258bf40bc12d07ee7415aeb53b.jpg

• Like 3

Yes and no. In FI we need much more breathing so a tank is used with or without the catch can.
Issue is a single in an single out only covers the valley cover to the middle of the intake manifold.
So the issue is under boost the intake is under pressure and the check valve from elite closes. So now you get pressure. This causes many problem and more blow by. Now you did address the 2 large hoses in the valve covers go that sees the pressure and dents it out the engine to the intake tube. So now you have oil in the intake again.
Best to have the valve covers going to the catch can and the valley cover also. On a na engine. Can cleans and always sees vaccum.
On fi old school breathers and catch can on vally cover with 2nd port to before boost source.
So you see I have 3 breather lines to tank and then elite deals with cleaning just valley. When in boost check valve closes and the 2nd port goes to before turbo. Lots of vaccum there. Not that it is needed with my breather.
So in my opinion block off intake tube, jump passenger valve cover to driver side the css to elite. Clean it all. 57b7a96c57437a3e9b42a697eb052f12.jpg539323790d4fa50d75ed7978a529e26c.jpg59220c258bf40bc12d07ee7415aeb53b.jpg

Okay I understand I appreciate the info !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all guys for your replies, I didn’t wanted to reply earlier until I review and read more of what you all suggested and mentioned.

I guess I will go with Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can for my 2018 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L, but I have some questions.

1- Is single exit port ok? Because I don’t want too complicated installation with dual port, and I saw a video that suggested to drill a hole into the intake tube before the throttle body and I am not comfortable with that.

2- Is it necessary to get a clean side separator and take out the factory oil filler cap? Because I don’t want that either to be done.

3- What are all items I need to include in my shipping basket? I guess I need (One single port catch can/Two check valves) but not sure about (Spare O-rings/Stainless Steel hose as upgrade/Black braided hose as upgrade/Rubber hose/Catch can mounting brackets if not already included).

4- I saw some videos and photos even here with not a single hose running all the way from the catch can to the its location, but two hoses with a connector in between and I am not sure why.

5- My vehicle now has 18000 miles, is that too late for the catch can and contaminants may already have built up on the valves? My engine oil brand is not the best currently, but I am replacing it half way its recommend change intervals.

6- I am planning to install a K&N performance air intake filter, I believe that will not cause any problems with the catch can installation, am I right?

7- The most important question, will that void my warranty? I am not planning to take out and then install back the catch can at every visit to the dealer, but at the same time I am into taking care of the engine not to build up contaminants.

8- Should I keep extra spare parts or so just incase later it needs to be replaced, such as the stainless steel filter media inside?

Thank you all

What state are you in?
But the single port, hose and bracket. In port to valley cover and other line to intake. Leave the css out for now. It is just for people that do not have or eliminate the stock hoses to the intake tube. Those people jump passenger to driver then buy the css to help clean out oil a little and give them a "out" port to go to the catch can. Then they need one more in port so they have the dual port can. The stainless media in the can never needs replaced or cleaned. Other then temp and drain the can there is no extra work.
It should NOT void any warranties and leave it on when you go to dealer. But this brings me back to the temp question

• Like 1

What state are you in? But the single port, hose and bracket. In port to valley cover and other line to intake. Leave the css out for now. It is just for people that do not have or eliminate the stock hoses to the intake tube. Those people jump passenger to driver then buy the css to help clean out oil a little and give them a "out" port to go to the catch can. Then they need one more in port so they have the dual port can. The stainless media in the can never needs replaced or cleaned. Other then temp and drain the can there is no extra work. It should NOT void any warranties and leave it on when you go to dealer. But this brings me back to the temp question  Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Not in the states actually, I live in Middle East. The temperature here reaches 32F as minimum in winter, but raises up to 122F in summer and that is my main concern. Owner manual and the dealer recommends 0W20 dexos1 oil, while that is not the ideal case and the type of oil that needs to be used in an extremely hot weather. Moreover, the dealer uses AcDelco motor oil that is produced nationally, not imported from the US, and it is noticeable for everyone who used it here that its evaporate level is extremely high, and that is why I chose to change it at half life time.

I am planning next to use Castrol Advanced Full Synthetic 5W30 dexos1, or Mobil 1 AFS as well but with 0W40 viscosity. 

Thank you for your reply.