Backup camera comes on when fog lights switch on

3 hours ago, jonesalexryan said:

I contacted my dealers service manager and hes out today but is going to get back to me tomorrow with what exactly they did to fix mine the first time, ill let you know what they come back with but if you can get yours to happen again or if it gets worse try toggling the running lights on and off as my problem doesnt exist if the running lights are off. 

Turn on lights it comes on.

Hit fog lights only and it comes on .

It's in the running light circuit.

Here's a pic I took this morning.

IMG_20200212_094221.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1

If you can get it to stay that way, leave the running lights on while in park and pull the fuse for the drivers side and see if it stops. that way you can isolate it weather its left or right side. 

This is the junction box i found the corosion in. The second plug in from the left is the drivers tail light (yellow tape) and the one to the right of that is the passengers. I believe they replaced the drivers harness from here right to the bulbs last time to fix the problem. 

IMG_2045.thumb.jpg.b1294af2db9e27be55ec71fca61e0efa.jpg

Well. It bothered me enough that I had to get to the bottom of it. A few things to note. I have led reverse bulbs and I have tie ins to both the running light and the reverse light wire feeds on this harness and thought that one of these things were to blame. After turning the key all the way ahead and turning the lights on I cut apart the factory harness until I could isolate what it was that was causing the back feed from the running light circuit to the reverse light circuit. 

loe and behold I got all the way back to the plug mentioned above and cut the wires off about 2” from the plug and plugged it back in and I STILL had the problem but if I unplugged it my problem went away. So I took apart the female (tail light harness) side of the plug and found that the brown wire (running lights) sits next to the light green wire (reverse lights) and somehow even though I had di-electric grease in the connector, water got in and caused the short between the two pins. (We’ve had a lot of freeze thaw here in eastern Canada in the last week maybe forced itself in?)

In summary I cut up a perfectly good harness to find out that I could have fixed all my problems with a can of compressed air or a blow gun from an air compressor. 

hope this helps someone in the future. 5BAEB3E5-85D3-42F9-A622-280D552B89E6.thumb.jpeg.8297c1dfe1f51de7171ecf23f3a8b2aa.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jonesalexryan said:

In summary I cut up a perfectly good harness to find out that I could have fixed all my problems with a can of compressed air or a blow gun from an air compressor. 

hope this helps someone in the future. 

I just read on another thread about a member replacing his windshield wiper switch and motor in an attempt to rectify a problem.  The issue wasn't resolved.   I once replaced a truck's engine to give me a fresh start.  It didn't solve anything!   We all have/will make expensive mistakes in an effort to do it ourselves or save money.  These head slappers make our successes feel so much better!  Thank you for sharing your experience!

• 4 months later...
On 2/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, dieselfan1 said:

Turn on lights it comes on.

Hit fog lights only and it comes on .

It's in the running light circuit.

Here's a pic I took this morning.

IMG_20200212_094221.jpg

Have you figured it out?

Have you done any BCM mods (diodes)?

Did your fogs actually come on?

Have you figured it out?

Have you done any BCM mods (diodes)?

Did your fogs actually come on?

No mods. This is not supposed to happen but hasn't happened since this pic.

Took to dealer they couldn't find anything wrong. Fog's were on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1