Backup camera comes on when fog lights switch on

Foggy here this morning so went to turn on fog lights as I'm driving up to the corner by my house. Backup cam comes on and stays on. I drive an hour or so. Still comes on . Shut off and wait five minutes, same  still on 

Back at home I unhook trailer lights , same thing . Weird. 

Anyone else have this happen?

It's already scheduled for the dealer this week 

15685633024344965736284490093471.jpg

I'm sure some guys would love to have that option of hitting a switch and turning the camera on while driving forward... Good luck figuring out how/why it is happening...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Foggy here this morning so went to turn on fog lights as I'm driving up to the corner by my house. Backup cam comes on and stays on. I drive an hour or so. Still comes on . Shut off and wait five minutes, same  still on 

Back at home I unhook trailer lights , same thing . Weird. 

Anyone else have this happen?

It's already scheduled for the dealer this week 

that is so you can see when someone is about to crash into you

8 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

That would be pretty awesome, as long as I could still get back to the main screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

just hit the menu button

Edited by bg1988

I thought the same thing.You get nothing. If the fog lights are on the backup cam is on 100% of the time. 
That's what I gathered from your post as well, that it's a glitch of some kind that's forcing the camera on.

While that is an extremely useful glitch, what usually toggles things like the camera on/off is some signal line being asserted to ground. I would check the rear harnesses for a short where the wires go to your tailgate.

The fog light switch automatically turns your running taillights on. Fogs aren't on in isolation unless you force them to with a diode.

I'm not rambling, just brainstorming by typing so I don't lose a thought or forget some clue that may help you.

When you turn on your fog lights, do the reverse lights come on too? I'm wondering if some wires within the harness have chafed and are causing a short, resulting in your truck partly believing it is in reverse when it isn't while fog lights are on. The fact that the fog lights turn on your full running lights front and rear by default, maybe they are also asserting the camera wire and reverse wire to ground, turning them on.

58 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

That's what I gathered from your post as well, that it's a glitch of some kind that's forcing the camera on.

While that is an extremely useful glitch, what usually toggles things like the camera on/off is some signal line being asserted to ground. I would check the rear harnesses for a short where the wires go to your tailgate.

The fog light switch automatically turns your running taillights on. Fogs aren't on in isolation unless you force them to with a diode.

I'm not rambling, just brainstorming by typing so I don't lose a thought or forget some clue that may help you.

When you turn on your fog lights, do the reverse lights come on too? I'm wondering if some wires within the harness have chafed and are causing a short, resulting in your truck partly believing it is in reverse when it isn't while fog lights are on. The fact that the fog lights turn on your full running lights front and rear by default, maybe they are also asserting the camera wire and reverse wire to ground, turning them on.

how much time before recall?  besure to report it to the NHTSA  Details are a must  (more details the better)  if it is chafted shorted wires tell them you want the old part or take photos  and send it with your online report    if the wires are chafted  it could start a fire(if they are melting it's overheating)

make sure you includes the words potential fire hazard

i would not use the fog lights tell you fix it  

if possible can you check the  fog lamps with a mutimeter while in reverse? ( there should be no voltage when off with the camera on  should be none)  even if there is a volt or two you have a hot short which is really bad and can start a fire...

Edited by bg1988
  • Like 1

I'm not checking it out. It's a 2018 with just under 15,000 miles. The dealer will figure it out.

Just curious if anyone else has this happen.

BTW just for the hell of it I'm going to unplug my Range and see if that does anything.

I highly doubt there is a connection but who knows.

I'm not checking it out. It's a 2018 with just under 15,000 miles. The dealer will figure it out.

BTW just for the hell of it I'm going to unplug my Range and see if that does anything.
Either way, let us know what the cause is.

1 hour ago, dieselfan1 said:

take pics we want to see

So this morning the backup cam came on with the auto headlights. I shut truck off and then it worked normally.

I think it was coming  on before with the running lights on  since they  come on with the fog lights  

But it seems fine now.

Glad I took the pic with camera on in drive with the lights on for proof in case this ends up being a problem down the road.

To all the guys that want more tech in these trucks this an example of why I say enough is enough. It's like driving a computer down the road and it gets a virus . Sad .

• 4 months later...

I had this same problem in Jan 2019 and narrowed it down to the left rear running lights were activating the reverse lights, if i removed the fuse for the left rear tail light running lights the problem went away, i took it to the dealer and they routed the problem to corrosion in the left tail light harness where it connects to a junction box beside the spare tire. 

I wake up this morning to the same problem again, except i find no corrosion in the plug beside the spare tire. 

Anyone else have anymore information to add? or find out whats causing this? 

1 hour ago, jonesalexryan said:

I had this same problem in Jan 2019 and narrowed it down to the left rear running lights were activating the reverse lights, if i removed the fuse for the left rear tail light running lights the problem went away, i took it to the dealer and they routed the problem to corrosion in the left tail light harness where it connects to a junction box beside the spare tire. 

I wake up this morning to the same problem again, except i find no corrosion in the plug beside the spare tire. 

Anyone else have anymore information to add? or find out whats causing this? 

This is weird. Last night my backup camera stayed on again. This time it came on and went off after about 10 seconds. Truck was covered in snow and it melted off some in the sun then some melted snow refroze so there was ice on the camera. I got to get this looked at this time. 

The strangest thing is it happened in the parking lot at Target both times.

I contacted my dealers service manager and hes out today but is going to get back to me tomorrow with what exactly they did to fix mine the first time, ill let you know what they come back with but if you can get yours to happen again or if it gets worse try toggling the running lights on and off as my problem doesnt exist if the running lights are off.