2019 Sierra Elevation winter tire/rims

On 11/28/2019 at 9:01 PM, madconcept said:

I noticed that going to Tire Rack you can build a winter tire/rim package and it options in 255/70R17’s.

Maybe a slightly small diameter tire isn’t the end of the world??

Anyone know on here if it would cause issues?

We fitted the DAI Peak wheel on the truck and it barely cleared the front calipers.  Didn’t like it, felt like if a rock kicked up on dirt road and got into the rim it wouldn’t be good.  Basically 2mm to 3mm clearance.  Also the tire diameter from the original was down about 1.5” which I felt looked too small once on.  Luckily my tire guy worked it out with me and credited back the tire package and we ordered something in a 20” wheel.  Here’s a picture with the DAI Peak wheel.

765E32B9-C1C4-4CF0-8996-BE880CE186E4.thumb.jpeg.288961817aa9a9eb156ed97d73540b3b.jpeg

Edited by mySierra19

On 12/6/2019 at 2:34 AM, mySierra19 said:

We fitted the DAI Peak wheel on the truck and it barely cleared the front calipers.  Didn’t like it, felt like if a rock kicked up on dirt road and got into the rim it wouldn’t be good.  Basically 2mm to 3mm clearance.  Also the tire diameter from the original was down about 1.5” which I felt looked too small once on.  Luckily my tire guy worked it out with me and credited back the tire package and we ordered something in a 20” wheel.  Here’s a picture with the DAI Peak wheel.

765E32B9-C1C4-4CF0-8996-BE880CE186E4.thumb.jpeg.288961817aa9a9eb156ed97d73540b3b.jpeg

Is that a pic of the 17”?

Crazy how a 17” barely fits nowadays.

9 hours ago, mySierra19 said:

Yes that picture is the 17” DAI Peak wheel.  It had no problem clearing the back but the front was too close for my liking.  

Wonder if going at least 18” would be better especially sticking with factory wheels.

My gut tells me that perhaps the aftermarket hasn’t quite got it right yet for the new trucks and the bigger calipers.

Edited by madconcept

7 minutes ago, madconcept said:

Wonder if going at least 18” would be better especially sticking with factory wheels.

My gut tells me that perhaps the aftermarket hasn’t quite got it right yet for the new trucks and the bigger calipers.

Considering the AT4 has an option for 18" wheel on the GMC website I'd assume that would be fine.  Either a 265/70R18 (32.6" diameter) or 275/70R18 (33.2" diameter) are pretty close to the factory 33" diameter tire that came with the truck off the lot.  The 18" wheel would probably provide about a 1/2" space around the callipers seeing that the 17" just cleared them.  In the end I just decided on getting a 20" wheel for my winters using the Replika R204 wheel.  Got them installed today and they fit nicely.

8 hours ago, mySierra19 said:

Considering the AT4 has an option for 18" wheel on the GMC website I'd assume that would be fine.  Either a 265/70R18 (32.6" diameter) or 275/70R18 (33.2" diameter) are pretty close to the factory 33" diameter tire that came with the truck off the lot.  The 18" wheel would probably provide about a 1/2" space around the callipers seeing that the 17" just cleared them.  In the end I just decided on getting a 20" wheel for my winters using the Replika R204 wheel.  Got them installed today and they fit nicely.

Also looking at the Sierra SLE trim you can get 17” or 18” rims.(First 2 pics are the SLE trim)  The overall tire diameters are smaller on SLE’s compared to my Elevation with 275/60R20’s(33” dia)

My Elevation also has a full size 17” steel wheel spare that has a 255/80R17 tire, also 33 dia.(Bottom pic).

For a winter setup I’m thinking a 255 wide tire would be better.

9CCA5C25-11B5-43F1-A839-A26EAE83AA3F.png

739B008B-D420-43CE-B1F7-AF45AC0CDDEF.png

1E17A24B-C246-4DD6-82FF-F5CB135DE213.png

Edited by madconcept

am sure they all good, common sense if your in mud and snow a lot use M/T and if its more hwy and some snow or mud an A/T.....also look at what you see others in your area using.....I seriously doubt one is far superior, tho I will never use another Goodyear tire based on 2 bad experiences ( not performance related).....doesn't mean they are bad just wont do it again....got 90k out KO2 las time and sure toyo and nitto are similar...…whatever floats your boat and you get deal on...I would go bf Goodrich again as I have had good luck and like way they look.....

general, falken, etc list goes on and on....but one outshining another in a drastic way, nah....pretty competitive market

• 10 months later...

That time of year again when I’m contemplating getting a separate winter wheel/tire combo.

My truck was in for service so I popped over to the parts dept.  The lady there eventually called me and said she’d spent a good while sourcing out some wheels and tires.

She said “since it’s an Elevation with 20” wheels the only thing I could find with the same diameter would be if you stuck with a 20” wheel and tire.  These newer trucks are very (sensitive) to diameter changes and all sorts of issues can occur.  Needless to say 20” isn’t going to be cheap!”

I’m running slightly larger than factory 275/65 BFG’s daily and haven’t had any “issues”.

Anyone had issues going with a smaller diameter wheel/tire combo?

I don’t care about the speedo being out a bit!

End of the day my KO2’s performed extremely well last winter, they do have the 3 peak mountain symbol after all.

Think I’m more concerned about keeping the 20” Black Wheels in good shape more than anything else.  Winter tires are also far superior on ice as well!

Edited by madconcept

Just a FWI, I've kept my snow tire/rims off my 14 silverado to use on my 19 RST and as previously outlined, they do not fit my 19 as they don't clear the bigger front callipers. Obviously the OEM 17s would fit, but whenever going with an aftermarket steel rim, they usually have a different inner profile. Definitely try before buying. 

Dan