Any 2020 models pulling left?

My 2020 silverado hd has alignment problems since day 1. To make the problem worse I couldn’t even find a dealer with alignment specs for 2020. When I finally was able to find one they claim they adjusted toe on my truck but it didn’t fix the problem. Truck is a pain to drive specially on a highway. My steering wheel is constantly turned few degrees to the left in order to drive straight. Can’t really enjoy driving this truck. So far im very disappointed and really wanted to like it. Wish I had my 2015 duramax back. 

Yes my truck has wanted to pull since the first test drive with 30 some miles on it. It pulled to the right pretty good and I'd have to keep the wheel turned to the left to keep it on the road. I put about 130 miles on the test drive weekend before buying the truck and the dealer just swapped the front tires from side to side and said it drove straight. He said that the tires will wear in and be fine. I think the truck pulls to the left now, but not as badly. And yes I've tested with different lanes on the highway and different back country roads. Those Wrangler tires just seem to grip and maybe wander? I don't know. I have 1200 miles on the truck now and have basically gotten used to having to constantly correct the steering at times. Sometimes I can let go of the steering wheel and it goes straight for a short distance and then I have to correct it again.

Both of you are describing what I have with less than 1k miles it has been this way since day 1. The dealer said today they are researching the problem further after test driving.

By the way I busted them hard. The GMC App records driving habits and my dealer idiots decided to joy ride my brand new truck. They floored the accelerator SIX times and performed hard braking 3 times and idled the truck for 48 minutes to test my reported steering issue. Only drove it 4 miles. They acted like they had no idea I could see how they drove it. I better get some recompense for this BS. This time, technology wins. They owe me now. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 12:44 AM, KC Desert said:

Both of you are describing what I have with less than 1k miles it has been this way since day 1. The dealer said today they are researching the problem further after test driving.

By the way I busted them hard. The GMC App records driving habits and my dealer idiots decided to joy ride my brand new truck. They floored the accelerator SIX times and performed hard braking 3 times and idled the truck for 48 minutes to test my reported steering issue. Only drove it 4 miles. They acted like they had no idea I could see how they drove it. I better get some recompense for this BS. This time, technology wins. They owe me now. 

WOW!! Yeah I'd be pretty ticked off they drove your truck like that too!! That is a pretty nice app to keep track of how it is driven. I should learn about the Teen Driver setting on my truck and maybe I'll enable that next time it goes in for any service work so I get a report card on how it was driven. I don't think the myChevrolet app records that information.

You could let go of the steering wheel and it headed to the right. They checked alignment and all was good, so they swapped the front tires only from right to left and then it was straight for them... pulled slightly left I found. Seems to be better now with 1400 miles on the tires.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So I took my truck in for my first, and only, free maintenance service visit at 4988 miles. They rotated the tires left to right and didn't swap front to back. So now my pulling issue is back and just as bad as before. I should have went back to the dealer right after I left, but that isn't the dealer I bought the truck from, just the closest to wear I live and work. I'm surprised they rotate tires left to right instead of front to back or even X pattern front to back.... I was going to call the dealer that did the service and ask how they "normally" rotate tires on a 4X4 truck. Then call the dealer I bought the truck from and ask about new tires under warranty. There is obviously something wrong with some of these tires right from the factory.

On 10/14/2019 at 5:19 PM, MTU Alum said:

Pulling typically is a cross caster or camber being too high or tire ply rat issue.  

If the steering wheel is off but drives straight, the toe is off.  

This is spot on (above) 

Lot's of shops have alignment racks. Some even know how to use it. Most are just to lazy to actually do the job you paid for. 

The following is for Factory setups only. 

VERIFIY that the actual alignment is in the middle of the factory spec by insisting on a print out. Before and After. Take note that the factory specs for both castor and camber and not the same right to left and should show about a quarter degree more positive castor on the drivers side and a quarter degree more positive camber drivers side. ( if the range  of camber covers negative numbers more positive is less negative...think on that a minute and it will make sense). Even if the range of camber allows for both negative and positive settings keep them both on the same side of neutral. Don't mix camber with one wheel positive and the other negative. Toe set middle and as little thrust angle as possible. Alignments are set up this way to counteract the vehicles tendency to climb the crown of a two lane road. Secondly an ever so slight drift to the right assures that when you let your mind wonder your truck shouldn't wonder into the oncoming lane. Still on a flat smooth road going a hundred yards without a correction would be ideal. If your right handed and drive left handed low on the wheel like allot of people that slight right drift, not pull, will keep an ever so slight amount of pressure on your wrist that is very comfortable over a long day. Just say' n. Distinguish between a PULL and a DRIFT. 

NO ONE can diagnose a tire issue that mimics a poor alignment without first having a good alignment. Yes, there are tire issues that can cause a pull but....

IF you have several thousand miles on a your tires under a bad alignment that wore your tires oddly then a great alignment will not correct their wear issues and their tendency to pull the truck one way or the others. Get new tires. 

There is a reference line molded into the sidewall so the installer can gauge that the tire is mounted correctly. If this is not concentric, both sides, to the rims OD the you get a 'wiggler' and they will drive you batty chasing pulls. Tires that are not concentric to the rim also make balance difficult. Another, just say' n. 

IF after all this you have a PULL then you have a tire with an internal belt issue that can not be fixed. 

A dealer that tells you that your tires need to run in to run right is kicking cans down the road to delay or avoid warranty issues. 

• Like 1

The dealer I bought the truck from did check alignment at 130 miles and said it was correct. That's when they swapped the front tires left to right and it had a slight drift to the left, which was acceptable to me, even though it should drift to the right like Grumpy Bear and my original dealer said.

The truck definitely pulls to the right and would go off the road rather quickly without a constant hand on the wheel and correction.

I called the local dealer that did the service and tire rotation and he agreed that it doesn't make sense that they would have rotated the tires left to right and it should have been done front to back leaving left and right tires on the same sides. I explained the swap done when I bought the truck and said that I was going to call them to request a warranty claim. He offered to do a road force test on the tires for me tomorrow, so I scheduled that appointment to see what they find. I just know something is wrong and needs to be corrected on this new truck.

3 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

Road forcing your tires is not going to show you everything for a pull.  The belt angle in the tire is off.

#iworkforGM 

The truck is at the dealer now and waiting to see if they are going to cover a Road Force Balance under warranty because when I dropped it off the Service Consultant said it was $129.99 to do that balance, which was not mentioned at all during my phone call scheduling the appointment! She said since there were only 5000 miles on the truck that they might be able to cover it under warranty and would call me back to verify before they did anything. Grrrr. I made sure to take pictures of each of the tires on the truck currently. More to come.