New winter tires needed

Hi, i need winter tires for my 18" Wheels. The recommended size for my 2014 Silverado is 265/65R18 112T. Unfortunately, they`re almost impossible to get. The only choice would be off-roading tires, but as i`m not driving offroad, they will just be "too much". And because I live in the mountains, I`m not really keen on using allweather tires.

So now I`m thinking about using 265/60R18 as winter tires, as there is a much bigger variety to choose from. And it would still be legal because it`s only 3.3% difference.

Has anyone experience with this tire size?

Check out discount tire direct website. You should be able to get winter tires in that size!

I ran the tire you are looking at getting on my Silverado. The speedometer was off a little and the tire was slightly smaller than the stockers. Other than that they were fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

are you really in Switzerland?

your wheel size is very common, shouldn't be that hard to find tires for it if you get them shipped.

I have the same size tires as your OEM in Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, they are excellent in snow and quiet on the pavement.

15 minutes ago, aseibel said:

are you really in Switzerland?

your wheel size is very common, shouldn't be that hard to find tires for it if you get them shipped.

I have the same size tires as your OEM in Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, they are excellent in snow and quiet on the pavement.

Yes i am. Only winter tire I can order in that size is a Michelin with spikes. Full-Size trucks aren`t very common here. And shipping from the US to switzerland doesn`t work in that case because 1. it`s extremely expensive to ship 4 tires and 2. The tires need to have EU Conformity.

The cooper is a tire i can get over here too, but is listed as an all season tire. It`s important for me to have a good snow performance and on icy roads. So you`re saying no problems at all even with an all season?

Big trucks aren't really common over here. :D

Edited by movario

6 minutes ago, movario said:

Yes i am. Only winter tire I can order in that size is a Michelin with spikes. Full-Size trucks aren`t very common here. And shipping from the US to switzerland doesn`t work in that case because 1. it`s extremely expensive to ship 4 tires and 2. The tires need to have EU Conformity.

Big trucks aren't really common over here. :D

Well that sucks. I don't know what to tell you then. You might have to find a local shop that can order a wider selection. You also noted the "112T". You know that is the load rating and you don't have to match that exactly, right?

I was recently in Europe. Spent a day in Engleberg, SW. It was beautiful. But yes, I think I only saw one F-150 the whole week I was there.

Yeah I know, I don`t need to exactly match the load and speedrating. But it`s still only one winter tire in this size. But you mentioned the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S which is listed as an all-season-tire. Have you had any problems driving on ice and snow?

BTW: I live about 15km from Engelberg ;). There is only one Silverado 2014 and newer in the whole region, and that is mine :D

Unless your home is on unmaitained roads there are lots of tires.

I bet most of the roads you travel are paved with maybe some dirt raods. This is my situation in the mountins of Colorado.

3 miles of dirt to get home. The main dirt roads get plowed.

The last bit of dirt road to our home doesn't always get plowed by the county due to we are the only house on it.

I have had BF Goodrich K2, Cooper AT's, Big O Big Foot, told it's made by Cooper tire.

I currently have Cooper Star fire tires. Rated M&S. Similar to a Michelin Defender I beleive.

With 4 whell drive and proper driving technique I have no problems. 

Went into town Sunday morning with the wifes Accord after a storm left the roads icy.

Cars stopped on hills, cars sliding all over, Sheriff blocking roads.

Sheriff told me to go for it if you want.

I had no problems getting into town with a All Season tire's on her car.

I passed 6 cars and a sheriff on one hill/pass.

:)

Edited by diyer2

You might have better luck getting a grip on Asian tires. Yokohama Geolander A/T-S, Hankook iPeak's. Just keep them fairly skinny and you will have good traction. Skinny tire is better for winter, more weight on the ground than a larger tire. I have 315 section widths and it wont move in the winter, I don't even drive that truck in the winter time. 

16 minutes ago, movario said:

But you mentioned the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S which is listed as an all-season-tire. Have you had any problems driving on ice and snow?

"all season" is a vague term. My tires have the "3 peak snowflake symbol" which means they passed some test to earn that rating for winter driving. They work great for me. I have to try to spin my tires in 2wd. I keep a couple sand bags in the rear during winter to keep even weight distribution.

8 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Just keep them fairly skinny and you will have good traction. Skinny tire is better for winter, more weight on the ground than a larger tire. I have 315 section widths and it wont move in the winter, I don't even drive that truck in the winter time. 

Just want to share this with you- the width of the tire does not matter for traction on ice. It is solely based on the rubber compound and its coefficient of friction. BUT where the width of the tire does matter is when driving through deep snow- a wide tire has to push more snow, so it is harder to drive. So if you are driving on unplowed roads, yes, use a skinny tire. If you are on plowed roads, it doesn't matter.

https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae140.cfm

6 minutes ago, aseibel said:

"all season" is a vague term. My tires have the "3 peak snowflake symbol" which means they passed some test to earn that rating for winter driving. They work great for me. I have to try to spin my tires in 2wd. I keep a couple sand bags in the rear during winter to keep even weight distribution.

Just want to share this with you- the width of the tire does not matter for traction on ice. It is solely based on the rubber compound and its coefficient of friction. BUT where the width of the tire does matter is when driving through deep snow- a wide tire has to push more snow, so it is harder to drive. So if you are driving on unplowed roads, yes, use a skinny tire. If you are on plowed roads, it doesn't matter.

https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae140.cfm

I'm going to disagree on that. Put on a 305, get out in the snow and ice and slam the brakes. Then put on a 245 and try again. 110% guarantee with no doubt in my mind the 245 will have better braking and acceleration than the 305 tire given the same tread pattern. A wide tire displaces more of the vehicles weight, less ground pressure, a skinny tire transfers more of the trucks weight into the road, more ground pressure. Yes there is a happy medium. There is a reason a fat tire grips forever on dry pavement, but will feel like a slick in the rain. My truck simply can not be driven in 2wd with a 315 you wont be able to accelerate passed 35mph without spinning on a snow or ice covered logging road, if I had 245 on it would walk anywhere in 2wd. Are you going to see a difference between a 245 and a 265, not so much but it will be there. This is simple physics and something anyone can try at home. Even in the city when it is raining my truck is a handful to keep the back end planted on wet concrete roads. I don't really care what a website tells me, I know what real life experience tells me after owning and driving anything and everything with tracks or wheels for the past 30 years. 

12 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

I'm going to disagree on that. Put on a 305, get out in the snow and ice and slam the brakes. Then put on a 245 and try again. 110% guarantee with no doubt in my mind the 245 will have better braking and acceleration than the 305 tire given the same tread pattern. A wide tire displaces more of the vehicles weight, less ground pressure, a skinny tire transfers more of the trucks weight into the road, more ground pressure. Yes there is a happy medium. There is a reason a fat tire grips forever on dry pavement, but will feel like a slick in the rain. My truck simply can not be driven in 2wd with a 315 you wont be able to accelerate passed 35mph without spinning on a snow or ice covered logging road, if I had 245 on it would walk anywhere in 2wd. Are you going to see a difference between a 245 and a 265, not so much but it will be there. This is simple physics and something anyone can try at home. Even in the city when it is raining my truck is a handful to keep the back end planted on wet concrete roads. I don't really care what a website tells me, I know what real life experience tells me after owning and driving anything and everything with tracks or wheels for the past 30 years. 

Wider tires do not change "traction". There are two situations where they might make an impact on driving, but not due to friction. On soft sand/mud you can deflate tires to make them wider. This allows for more surface area to keep from sinking in. In snow, a narrow tire "plows" less snow, giving less resistance to forward movement.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just share facts.

You may believe you can feel the physics, but there is actually math behind it and testing done to prove the truth.

If you don't want to read the article and learn anything, I'm not going to make you.

https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae200.cfm

"Among tires of the same type and composition, here is no appreciable difference in 'traction' with different widths. "

Edited by aseibel

Wider tires do not change "traction". There are two situations where they might make an impact on driving, but not due to friction. On soft sand/mud you can deflate tires to make them wider. This allows for more surface area to keep from sinking in. In snow, a narrow tire "plows" less snow, giving less resistance to forward movement.

You may believe you can feel the physics, but there is actually math behind it and testing done to prove the truth.
If you don't want to read the article and learn anything, I'm not going to make you.

"Among tires of the same type and composition, here is no appreciable difference in 'traction' with different widths. "

The problem is you are applying simple physics to a way more complicated problem. The math is good and sound but real world applications are telling us something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Wider tires do change traction levels. Do a lap around a Road America with a Camaro on 235's and then a ZL1's 305's see which one posts a better time. It acts in reverse for adverse conditions. You article claims that its not the tire size, but the molecular structure of the rubber compound, well that is complete bullshit. Take two Hankook iPeak's one in 235, and one in 305. Do the test, you will realize the bus-riding highschool physics teacher that wrote that has no experience with winter driving. As with anything subjective, the mathematic data would be represented by a parabola on a graph, obviously with a peak or best all around size for a set of weather conditions. But don't try to tell me a 305 is just as good on an icy highway as a 245 in the same tread because it's simply untrue based on all other variable being equal. You plow snow, you should know this first hand from the feeling in your ass. Put on a set of 305's for the winter and see how it works out for you. I bet your stuck in your first driveway. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Wider tires do change traction levels. Do a lap around a Road America with a Camaro on 235's and then a ZL1's 305's see which one posts a better time. It acts in reverse for adverse conditions. You article claims that its not the tire size, but the molecular structure of the rubber compound, well that is complete bullshit. Take two Hankook iPeak's one in 235, and one in 305. Do the test, you will realize the bus-riding highschool physics teacher that wrote that has no experience with winter driving. As with anything subjective, the mathematic data would be represented by a parabola on a graph, obviously with a peak or best all around size for a set of weather conditions. But don't try to tell me a 305 is just as good on an icy highway as a 245 in the same tread because it's simply untrue based on all other variable being equal. You plow snow, you should know this first hand from the feeling in your ass. Put on a set of 305's for the winter and see how it works out for you. I bet your stuck in your first driveway. 

Obviously you know more about friction than a physics teacher. Of course wider tires have more traction on dry pavement and less on ice....? because your arse tells you so?

You do realize the reason racing tires are wider is to combat the low shear force of the soft rubber?

Again, I'm not making this up, it is science. No need to argue.

"The reason for wider tires is not that the increased contact area automatically leads to more friction (though there may be some effects that depend on the area indirectly). The design parameter that determines the coefficient of friction between the tires and the track is the something related to the molecular compressibility of the rubber. In other words, "the softer the rubber, the better the friction." However, when you use a softer rubber, you need to make the tires wide enough to give them strength. So, "the softer the tire, the wider it needs to be", to withstand design forces and moments.

Source https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-do-race-cars-use-wide-tires.56486/#targetText=Wider tires provide more resistance,tires have improved wear characteristics."