Couple of 4wd Questions

On 11/25/2019 at 1:22 PM, CO-Stark said:

This was definitely on a previous truck, I'm guessing it was my 2006 Titan, but I believe it was in the owner's manual that they recommended keeping 2WD to 4WD shifts under 60mph. Personally I've maintained that as a rule of thumb, but truth is these trucks have so many sensors and safeties built in, it won't complete the shift if doing so at your current speed would cause any issues.
Because it just happened to me I'll mention this scenario, even if you shift to 4hi at a stop, let it complete the shift before you get on her...I was at a light and put it in 4 so I could get off the line, but the light changed sooner than I expected. Rear spins, I let off, and *clunk* when it was able to get into 4WD. Doubt there's lasting damage from that one time but not something you want to make a habit of, to say the least.

Maximum speed in 4hi?!? Mash the throttle and find out LOL. I'm not positive but pretty sure I've had mine up to 85-90mph with no issues.

I've always tried to do the 4wd shift from a stop, just wondered if it was still necessary to do that like it was on the older trucks. Winter here was pretty mild last year and i made it through driving my 2wd 1993 GMC with some weight over the rear axle so hopefully i'm worrying about nothing. I sure don't want to damage my new rig though!

5 hours ago, 91 Shortbed Chevy said:

I've always tried to do the 4wd shift from a stop, just wondered if it was still necessary to do that like it was on the older trucks. Winter here was pretty mild last year and i made it through driving my 2wd 1993 GMC with some weight over the rear axle so hopefully i'm worrying about nothing. I sure don't want to damage my new rig though!

No these newer ones are definitely capable of "shift on the fly" as they call it. As someone else said I try to shift it when I can let off the gas and or not be on the brakes much, make sure everything is spinning freely at the same speed, and as I said above I don't shift at full highway speed. Other than that you should be fine.