2009 Sierra trailer brake

Recently purchased a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with the LMM motor. I hooked up a dump trailer yesterday that typically works on all of my other vehicles. The integrated trailer brake control doesn't seem to be working. The lights all function on the trailer as they should. But I have to cycle through the information in the DIC to pull up trailer brakes. The gain is stuck at 0.5 and cannot be adjusted. It is followed by a series of dashes. I have checked stud 2 and the Itcb fuses. And replaced the brake controller itself. I'm wondering if the master cylinder sensor would be my next stab at the problem. Or if anybody might have any suggestions.

Right, need scan tool that can read Chassis codes like the Tech-2.  Besides the wiring and plug, there is the controller on the dash, the computer module mounted somewhere on the frame and a solid state relay also mounted somewhere on the frame.  Recently replaced my SSR and all is well now, but my symptom were not like yours.  If the module has to be replaced, it will require programming by the dealer or someone with a Tech-2 and a subscription to ACDelco's TDS system.

5 hours ago, Abe Armendariz said:

Just replaced the switch on the dash not the module.

Well, there are three components that make up the ITBC and it interfaces with the BCM, ECM, TCM and ABS modules, truly integrated!  A basic code reader will not see these types of codes, it must be a bi-directional scan-tool like the Tech-2, Span-On Solus, MDI2, etc.  You probably need a new module but if it were mine, I would first check all the connections under the truck and use my Tech-2 for diagnostics before replacing anything.

A man cannot rightly work on his truck without a scan-tool anymore, it's become more important than his wrench.

Edited by swathdiver

So I got my truck back tonight. A mechanic went through scanned it and replaced both the relay and the trailer brake control module. He then had the truck taken to the dealership to flash the new module. I picked it up went and plugged it into trailer no communication between the controller and the brakes. I still cannot adjust the gain buttons, instead of .5 it reads. 0. Does not indicate trailer connected and cannot adjust anything.

10 hours ago, Abe Armendariz said:

So I got my truck back tonight. A mechanic went through scanned it and replaced both the relay and the trailer brake control module. He then had the truck taken to the dealership to flash the new module. I picked it up went and plugged it into trailer no communication between the controller and the brakes. I still cannot adjust the gain buttons, instead of .5 it reads. 0. Does not indicate trailer connected and cannot adjust anything.

Does your RPO sheet have JL1?

The RPO sheet does show JL1. The relay on the frame was replaced. No DIC warnings. Does not show that I have a trailer connected at all. But all lights work on my trailers. I tested four trailers all magnets drum trailer brakes. Works on three of my other work trucks. I can get to trailer brakes through the information button but cannot adjust it. Last night I checked all seven pins to see if maybe somebody wired it Goofy for their own trailer. Not the case. And the cruise control does work. I'm wondering how the truck knows there is a trailer connected? I wonder if that's the root of the problem?

Edited by Abe Armendariz

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 10:02 AM, Abe Armendariz said:

The RPO sheet does show JL1. The relay on the frame was replaced. No DIC warnings. Does not show that I have a trailer connected at all. But all lights work on my trailers. I tested four trailers all magnets drum trailer brakes. Works on three of my other work trucks. I can get to trailer brakes through the information button but cannot adjust it. Last night I checked all seven pins to see if maybe somebody wired it Goofy for their own trailer. Not the case. And the cruise control does work. I'm wondering how the truck knows there is a trailer connected? I wonder if that's the root of the problem?

Any progress on this?  Have you tried a trailer with a different kind of brakes?  On another forum a fella hooked up an aftermarket controller while leaving the hot wire for the JL1 still connected at the fuse box and burned something up.  He never did respond if memory serves, too proud I guess.