Need verification of heated steering wheel parts upgrade

13 minutes ago, pgamboa said:

From what I’ve seen, 1500 trucks have 2 connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome thank you! i know i sound "needy" but im afraid of messing up my warranty or doing something that causes a weird electrical problem. 

I had a 2017 silverado and first 10,000 miles was perfect, then one day hit a bump and gauges went out (everything went to zero), 6 error messages from service ABS stabilitrack, trailer brake controller, 4wd, and then steering input reduced please drive carefully message. was in the shop 4 times for over 3 months total. last 2 times the power steering actually went out mid drive (last time i almost took out the dealers garage door turning into it). left me stranded once as it wouldnt start because it didnt know where the gearshift was. Left the mechanic stranded twice haha. Got a call at about 9 am sunday morning as i gave him permission to drive it home over the weekends and test it out. Asked if its ever not started. I said no.... thats new...FIrst few times i thought cool they fixed it no biggie mass produced stuff has hiccups. but the 3rd time i JUST got back from a 1000 mile road trip around wisconsin. Literally 2 days later it spazzes out again on the interstate. I was like oh god what if it did this when i was up there? How the heck would i get home? How do you deal with a dealer thats never seen this shenanigans before?

long story short dealer and GM were in a no argument agreement i needed a new truck and fell under lemon law no questions asked. So my 18 has been good but approaching 10,000 miles again haha. (side note a few months after the deal was done i found my old truck for sale in Wisconsin - hope GM actually fixed the problem...)

so as you can see im quite nervous about messing with electrical stuff thats computer controlled...(Ive done many upgrades including clock spring replacement to add radio buttons on an 02 blazer and wired in tons of electrical vehicle stuff over the years so its not the physical DOING of it) This upgrade looks like a very self contained circuit, power from fuse to plug to steering wheel switch to heaters back to ground.

Doing these upgrades ever cause anyone warranty or dealer headaches?

Edited by Waffle34

when I took off my airbag to start this process (and realized I had the wrong clock spring) then I put it all back together, I got a "safety restraint service" warning at startup.  I'm still getting it.

I haven't tried to clear it out yet, but I'm  going to do that before I make the swap out for the heated steering wheel.

if it works, I'll just swap out the steering wheel and then have someone clear it out again.

if it doesn't work, I'll have it serviced and then try the swap out again.

Edited by rbrjr1

17 minutes ago, rbrjr1 said:

when I took off my airbag to start this process (and realized I had the wrong clock spring) then I put it all back together, I got a "safety restraint service" warning at startup.  I'm still getting it.

I haven't tried to clear it out yet, but I'm  going to do that before I make the swap out for the heated steering wheel.

if it works, I'll just swap out the steering wheel and then have someone clear it out again.

Did you disconnected the battery and wait about 10min before taking the airbag out? That’s strange I’ve taken my airbag out twice first time to swap my dash out and second to add the heated steering wheel. 

With the airbag (SRS) system, it usually goes away once all factors of the “system” are restored. Double check that all connectors are in place. The clock spring is sensitive. If you rotated the clock too much (had one customer that was messing with clock spring like a fidget spinner), the inner workings of the clock spring (if “unwound”) could have been damaged, could cause the CEL. Notice that orange that has the broken? That is done once it is installed. It prevents one from spinning the spring out of whack.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Frankielozano214 said:

Did you disconnected the battery and wait about 10min before taking the airbag out? That’s strange I’ve taken my airbag out twice first time to swap my dash out and second to add the heated steering wheel. 

yes, probably 30 minutes with the interior courtesy lights "left on" during that time period.

18 minutes ago, pgamboa said:

With the airbag (SRS) system, it usually goes away once all factors of the “system” are restored. Double check that all connectors are in place. The clock spring is sensitive. If you rotated the clock too much (had one customer that was messing with clock spring like a fidget spinner), the inner workings of the clock spring (if “unwound”) could have been damaged, could cause the CEL. Notice that orange that has the broken? That is done once it is installed. It prevents one from spinning the spring out of whack.

I never removed the original clock spring or disconnected anything from it besides the airbag.

it's possible that the air bag plugs weren't re-installed properly (I did remove them to take a picture), but I'm usually pretty thorough about that kind of stuff.

Edited by rbrjr1

7 minutes ago, rbrjr1 said:

yes, probably 30 minutes with the interior courtesy lights "left on" during that time period.

I never removed the original clock spring or disconnected anything from it besides the airbag.

it's possible that the air bag plugs weren't re-installed properly (I did remove them to take a picture), but I'm usually pretty thorough about that kind of stuff.

Yeah I would double check make sure they are properly seated in the connector. Wonder if this is a new feature of the 2018 k2xx as mine is a 2014 lack some of the Sercurity feature the newer trucks have?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frankielozano214 said:

Yeah I would double check make sure they are properly seated in the connector. Wonder if this is a new feature of the 2018 k2xx as mine is a 2014 lack some of the Sercurity feature the newer trucks have?

i sure hope not. I dont see how it could. Can you even physically install the airbag wires to the airbag like criss crossed?

• Haha 1

Ok... so i installed the clock spring and wheel this morning.

A couple things:

When I removed the airbag, I saw the issue with my restraint system service message..

ac51bea2241b23a9b534a04edbb33e35.jpg

I didn’t push down the safety clips..

(So it was ON ME, not a function of just removing the airbag.)

When removing the clock spring it’s pretty tough to remove the airbag connector from under the dash. I WOULD recommend removing the connector from the Christmas tree clip before trying to route it out from under the dash.. (I left the clip in place and just reused it for the new airbag connector..

My airbag connector ran under a wiring harness that is clipped in using another Christmas tree clip. I could see it best by looking left of the interior drivers side fuse block, but in order to reach it, I had to run a clip removal tool up from the footwell to get the clip removed enough so the airbag connector could slide under it..

edd004d49d969d67e21ad9b381f08fa2.jpg

(Wide view, focus on the light gray zip tie in the top center of the photo)

a2437d92f7ef74f337a96aea211ba2a2.jpg

(Tele view showing the shiny airbag harness “under” the fleece wrapped harness. The Christmas tree clip that has to be partially removed for clearance is connected to the light grey zip tie)

It took me longer to get the airbag harness out than it did all the other steps in the process.

Bottom line, mine still doesn’t work, I must be one of the ones who do not have power on the heater connector.. I know there is a work around, I’ll research it..

But no more air bag message now that the clips are fully in?

I still need to get under mine and figure out how to get 2 test probes on the dang pins while laying on my back, flashlight positioned and meter positioned so i can read it...

Will try with some skinny test clips

Edited by Waffle34
  • Like 1