First oil change for Duramax

This is my first Duramax truck, 2019 Silverado, and I am wondering what people are doing as far as the first oil change. The dealer will do the first one free, but I’m not sure that I want to drive 5,000 miles before my first change. Thoughts?

thanks,

Butcher 2

880DC220-2204-42A5-8302-5B91CC407C0D.jpeg

5000 will be fine but 3000 sounds good as well.  At 12,000 I'd do the front and rear diff, and transfer case as well, then every 30-40,000 miles after that.  Allison transmission fluid change every 50,000-60,000 miles, replacing the spin-on filter (if they still have them) every 30,000 miles.  Congrats on the nice rig!!

14 minutes ago, redwngr said:

There is a company that backs up their recommendation with a 5 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Maybe follow their advice/recommendations. 

Too cute :thumbs:

May I solicit an opinion?

I get this warranty period for a gas motor rig, but a diesel? Why would a motor that is built robustly in multiples of the gas motor have such a short warranty period? Have they no faith in their product? Are the prescribed maintenance intervals and products such that they detract from it's longevity? What do we think? Opinion please?

I'm not being cute asking. I've never owned a diesel but my current understanding is that part of the allure is that they have a very, VERY long life expectancy if well taken care of. So...I'm as curious about this as the OP. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Too cute :thumbs:

May I solicit an opinion?

I get this warranty period for a gas motor rig, but a diesel? Why would a motor that is built robustly in multiples of the gas motor have such a short warranty period? Have they no faith in their product? Are the prescribed maintenance intervals and products such that they detract from it's longevity? What do we think? Opinion please?

I'm not being cute asking. I've never owned a diesel but my current understanding is that part of the allure is that they have a very, VERY long life expectancy if well taken care of. So...I'm as curious about this as the OP. 

IIRC, gassers got the same (100,000) as the dmax for a few years after the bankruptcy,  but it's been changed  again. 

https://www.gmc.com/owners/warranty-details

Gassers get 5 yr/ 60,000 mile....

From above link:

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE

All 2018-2019 GMC vehicles come with a fully transferable, no-deductible, 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever comes first) Powertrain Limited Warranty. The 2500 and 3500 Series Heavy Duty (HD) pickups equipped with a 6.6L Duramax® Turbo Diesel Engine are covered for 5-years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first. See dealer for details.

2 hours ago, redwngr said:

IIRC, gassers got the same (100,000) as the dmax for a few years after the bankruptcy,  but it's been changed  again. 

https://www.gmc.com/owners/warranty-details

Gassers get 5 yr/ 60,000 mile....

From above link:

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE

All 2018-2019 GMC vehicles come with a fully transferable, no-deductible, 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever comes first) Powertrain Limited Warranty. The 2500 and 3500 Series Heavy Duty (HD) pickups equipped with a 6.6L Duramax® Turbo Diesel Engine are covered for 5-years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first. See dealer for details.

Going backward. 

• Like 1

I took an oil sample and changed the oil on one truck at 5000 miles.  It was flagged critical from the manufacturing process.  Silicon and copper very high.  

If I ever bought another new one first oil change for me would be 500 miles.  Get that factory oil out of there. ..  They do recommend this with small engines also...Don't they?

9 hours ago, redwngr said:

Agreed.

Interesting it's it? A manufacture would only shorten a warranty if they were absorbing to many claims. The entire idea of six sigma quality and manufacturing programs is to achieve a zero defect rate to enhance profit. Shortening that warranty without realizing a gain in the bottom line only hurts the consumers perception of the product and erodes sales thus profit. 

Say I have a product that will perform with a 1% recall rate to a distance of 200K miles and yet only warranty it for 60K what message did I send my customer? Only that I lack confidence in my product. If I have a product that performs at a 60 K level and warranty it for 200K then I go bankrupt. If on the other hand I have a 200K product and warranty it for say 150 K then  have the best product and warranty in the business, do I not? And that claim is backed up in low warranty work and few  customer complaints. The result a good reputation. People will by a good reputation all day long. 

GM is telling me they are building down and selling up. That they have no interest in their reputation nor their customers. That does not breed trust in either the company nor the product and tells me straight away that the maintenance program has but one goal and it doesn't favor benefiting me. 

Sadly they are all doing this so brand hopping will not solve the problems of ownership cost and satisfaction. 

The goal is to sell you a $20K truck for $60K every three to five years. If you are good with that then by all means let the dealership execute the plan without interference or complaint. Use your OLM and whatever they wish to sell you for product. 

And that's about all I have to say about that.

:rant:

• Like 1

Interesting it's it? A manufacture would only shorten a warranty if they were absorbing to many claims. The entire idea of six sigma quality and manufacturing programs is to achieve a zero defect rate to enhance profit. Shortening that warranty without realizing a gain in the bottom line only hurts the consumers perception of the product and erodes sales thus profit. 

Say I have a product that will perform with a 1% recall rate to a distance of 200K miles and yet only warranty it for 60K what message did I send my customer? Only that I lack confidence in my product. If I have a product that performs at a 60 K level and warranty it for 200K then I go bankrupt. If on the other hand I have a 200K product and warranty it for say 150 K then  have the best product and warranty in the business, do I not? And that claim is backed up in low warranty work and few  customer complaints. The result a good reputation. People will by a good reputation all day long. 

GM is telling me they are building down and selling up. That they have no interest in their reputation nor their customers. That does not breed trust in either the company nor the product and tells me straight away that the maintenance program has but one goal and it doesn't favor benefiting me. 

Sadly they are all doing this so brand hopping will not solve the problems of ownership cost and satisfaction. 

The goal is to sell you a $20K truck for $60K every three to five years. If you are good with that then by all means let the dealership execute the plan without interference or complaint. Use your OLM and whatever they wish to sell you for product. 

And that's about all I have to say about that.

:rant:

Exactly. I bought my first Hyundai based on warranty. It’s now on its third family member. Plus I bought 3 more. Same with 0 percent interest or deep discounts at end model year and CPO. If Hyundai drops the 10/100 warranty their sales would drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ewalsh9384 said:

Team I a 2019 Sierra 2500.  The truck computer system keeps telling me I need an oil change every 2500 miles.  Should I be ignoring that warning?  

You mean the OLM is reset to 100% and in 2,500 miles it is back down to 0% and telling you need an oil change?  If so that isn't right.  The computer needs updated.  The only way I can see that is if you let it idle 24/7.