Too lift more than a level or not, 3 or 3.5 inch.

I have a 19 custom with a 2 inch level and 295 60 20s. I'd like to keep those tires but add a little more height. I see the superlift 3 inch, fabtech or rc 3.5 inch. Theres a few other more fancy lifts with coilovers, not something I'd like to do now. 

All the lifts come with control arms, rear blocks,  rear shocks and strut spacers. I do see a spacer inside the strut and on the top. I'm afraid the spacer inside the strut would kill the ride.   Heres a pic of it now.

20191107_161846.jpg

that's about as high as I want to go but will not use spacer to achieve it, pay for what you get rule usually applies...heard of more people screw up their brand new truck trying to do the most for cheapest...or spend twice the amt to do it right after the cheaper setup.....not worth it

I had a fab tech lift back a few yrs ago and will never use that brand again.....RC idk prolly not either

get the lift that corrects the geometries as well, than order some good suspension......cost more but a lot of peeps end up doing it anyway dtl…...do it right the first time

Edited by Dunn

Besides a strut spacer, control arms, maybe small diff drop what else is needed for a small under 4 inch lift.  I can't see needing knuckles, cross members etc. Most companies with that amount of lift come with the same parts. I'd like tho a lift strut or coilover instead of the spacer.  

I was thinking coilovers, control arms and a rear block kit. Staying at the 3-3.5 lift range. I'd be happy with another inch in heigth if it keeps a nice ride like it has now.

idk at what height the geometry starts to be effected....level is probably fine but I would guess 3-4 inch maybe not...I want mine to ride better than stock, otherwise whats the point, lol.....and also debating bcuz of gas mileage, not a young kid so just looking cool is not the point anymore.....want to be able to see farther ahead in traffic, better overall ride, and maybe better performance offroad if I go...….will keep stock rims most likely....my rims are fine, I like stock look

was looking at KING setup with UCA, only 2.5 front and 1 inch rear block tho….otherwise a 3in or 4in would have to be done separate from shocks....and also getting shocks custom valved (which isn't really super hard to do) but can make a difference

am in no hurry tho, ill wear out my factory tires (actually better for rain anyway)....so funny, I cant seem to spend money without a purpose like I did when I was younger...

Edited by Dunn

I have a 2500hd that is 4 linked with king coilovers, 37s and a supercharged texas speed 408 stroker. So I dont need a huge truck and this one can stay more normal. I will keep the stock wheels with the stock look, With just a little heigth. 

I might just do 3 inch with uca and a 1 inch rear block.  I can prob get away now with just a 1 inch block.

(All these companies with the 3-3.5 call for a smaller tire than I have now with 2 I inch level..lol.)

Edited by Flatblack83

Check out the CST Suspension stage 3 system. I have the parts and scheduling to have it installed. Comes with adjustable front coilovers up to 3.5” lift, uca’s, rear shocks and rear block for 1” or 2” rear lift. I went with the 2” rear block.

I think you can run stock wheels with this setup and keep the 295/60s. I’m going with aftermarket wheels +1 offset. I was told to go 285/60 with the +1 offset to avoid rubbing for Sierras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, JBski said:

Check out the CST Suspension stage 3 system. I have the parts and scheduling to have it installed. Comes with adjustable front coilovers up to 3.5” lift, uca’s, rear shocks and rear block for 1” or 2” rear lift. I went with the 2” rear block.

I think you can run stock wheels with this setup and keep the 295/60s. I’m going with aftermarket wheels +1 offset. I was told to go 285/60 with the +1 offset to avoid rubbing for Sierras.

yeah but are shocks any good?.....for me suspension is more important than just height, most lifted ones I see they went for height, rims, and tires as main goal....

no rear shocks it looks like, how makes their suspension I wonder

Edited by Dunn

I see adjustable struts aren't available and coilovers are 1k or more.  Coilovers are probably the best way to go. I know the kings on my hd have been awesome for years.  I did see fox has 2 inch also that are a decent price. I never had icons or anything from CST so I'm not sure how their shocks are.

I'm curious tho now how the spacer inside the strut and the spacer on top rides with the uca's. Is it worth picking up the stock rancho struts to do this too instead of the low end stock black ones..?  This all has me thinking.  Is it better to put bilstein on the rear with the block or the oil filled cheaper shocks.. so the ride isn't too firm.

Edited by Flatblack83

coilovers for sure....cst does offer 7 stages in their kits and upper end stages come with rear shocks as well, and resovoirs but just don't know much about their shocks

cant go wrong with KINGS.....probably way I am going to go.....more money but shocks are serviceable and only have to do it once

Edited by Dunn
  • Like 1

yeah but are shocks any good?.....for me suspension is more important than just height, most lifted ones I see they went for height, rims, and tires as main goal....

no rear shocks it looks like, how makes their suspension I wonder

This will be my first experience with CST shocks.

Taller doesn't mean better.  In my 30 some years of building vehicles I have seen many folks put 40" tires on stock axles then wonder why they broke.  My Jeep only has a 4" lift to fit the 35" tires under it and it rides great and does what I want it to do off road and on road.  I am probably going with the BDS 4" lift kit with this truck.  I have seen many "monster" trucks getting pulled out of bad spots with little Jeeps.  Just my opinion.

Edited by fatwhiteboy
spelling

I think 2" seems like all you can do before you should get new upper controll arms.  3"-3.5 means new UCAs and external plus internal coilover spacers.  See the RC lift as example.  After 4 then it gets a lot more involved.   I would pick a 3 and call it good. 

I ended up yesterday ordering icon dynamics stage one kit. Its 2.5 coilovers and 2.0 shocks. Also ontop of that a moto fab 1 inch rear block, not sure will that be enough tho, may need the 1.5.   Finally a set of rough country forged control arms, depends if I go 3 inches or not will I need these.

As soon as these get here they will be put on, not sure how long this stuff takes right now. With the holiday and ground shipping who knows..lol

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 1:12 PM, fatwhiteboy said:

Taller doesn't mean better.  In my 30 some years of building vehicles I have seen many folks put 40" tires on stock axles then wonder why they broke.  My Jeep only has a 4" lift to fit the 35" tires under it and it rides great and does what I want it to do off road and on road.  I am probably going with the BDS 4" lift kit with this truck.  I have seen many "monster" trucks getting pulled out of bad spots with little Jeeps.  Just my opinion.

I totally understand the big lift theory.. My 4 door jeep has a 2.5 inch lift and 35 inch duratracs. My 03 2500hd has 7 inch tho and 37s which is cool but useless. Its 4 linked and straight axled tho. The smaller vehicle goes everywhere the big ones goes and more.  So the big lift idea is kinda dumb if you want to daily drive it and use it as a truck. That all was part of the reason I only wanted 3-3.5 at most. Probably sticking with 3 inch so I'm not pushing the limits of the cv's.

Edited by Flatblack83