5th Wheel Towing Capacity seems really low on some 2500's

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently been trying to find a 5th wheel camper trailer for my 2019 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel.  After much research, I'm finding as others that I can basically only pull maybe an Ultra-lite camper.  All this calculations are to be legal per DOT wherever I drive.  Any input to these factors that could change what information that I have would be grateful!

I have a tow package, 20 inch tires, and a goose-neck hitch.  I plan on adding a Andersen hitch for my 5th wheel.  My GVWR  is 10,000 lbs,  GAWR FRT is 5200 lbs. and GAWR REAR is 6200 lbs. per the sticker on the inside of the door.  The payload of my truck is 2115 lbs.  My Max trailer weight per the Duramax Supplement manual is 13,500 lbs, thus giving me a combined  GCWR of 23,500 lbs. 

Recently, I took my truck to a CAT scale with the following results with no trailer, Axel Weight Front: 5080 lbs,  Axel weight rear 3460, and combined GWT of 8540 lbs.   This leaves me a total weight of 1460 lbs. (1415 lbs., after hitch installed) that can be added to my truck for 5th wheel or conventional tow and not to exceed the GVWR of 10,000 lbs.  Something I learned about the Payload weight is that you must deduct the weight of anything in the vehicle such as driver, passengers, tools, pets, etc. from the vehicle when calculating your payload weight.  Also, per my dealership, the pin wight of a fifth wheel can be up to 10% - 25% of GVWR of trailer and the only way to find out whether you are legal or not is to CAT scale the vehicle and trailer.  

Just thought the info may be helpful!

I've recently been trying to find a 5th wheel camper trailer for my 2019 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel.  After much research, I'm finding as others that I can basically only pull maybe an Ultra-lite camper.  All this calculations are to be legal per DOT wherever I drive.  Any input to these factors that could change what information that I have would be grateful!

I have a tow package, 20 inch tires, and a goose-neck hitch.  I plan on adding a Andersen hitch for my 5th wheel.  My GVWR  is 10,000 lbs,  GAWR FRT is 5200 lbs. and GAWR REAR is 6200 lbs. per the sticker on the inside of the door.  The payload of my truck is 2115 lbs.  My Max trailer weight per the Duramax Supplement manual is 13,500 lbs, thus giving me a combined  GCWR of 23,500 lbs. 

Recently, I took my truck to a CAT scale with the following results with no trailer, Axel Weight Front: 5080 lbs,  Axel weight rear 3460, and combined GWT of 8540 lbs.   This leaves me a total weight of 1460 lbs. (1415 lbs., after hitch installed) that can be added to my truck for 5th wheel or conventional tow and not to exceed the GVWR of 10,000 lbs.  Something I learned about the Payload weight is that you must deduct the weight of anything in the vehicle such as driver, passengers, tools, pets, etc. from the vehicle when calculating your payload weight.  Also, per my dealership, the pin wight of a fifth wheel can be up to 10% - 25% of GVWR of trailer and the only way to find out whether you are legal or not is to CAT scale the vehicle and trailer.  

Take that spare tire and put it in the trailer. That will give you an additional 60-80lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!  Great idea! [emoji1306]

Not sure where you keep your LP tanks? I’ve seen a few people with bumper tow trailers with their tanks storage empty. I assumed that they put them in the coach for less tongue weight.

I’ve only known one person who was flagged down for weights in their RV. He had a 5th wheel on a ram 1500. If you’re over a few hundred pounds I don’t think it’s a real issue. If you’re over by 1000-1500 lbs then you need to rethink your toe strategy. I am like you where I want to reduce my liability with weights and regulation. My spare is in the trailer with the tools and spare crap. I am considering going back to stock wheels and tires because 35” and 20x9 wheels are heavy and unnecessary for towing.

On 9/15/2020 at 4:13 AM, alm5698 said:

The 20"s are what hurt your payload.  The load index is 121 vs the stock 18" size that has 124 load index tires.  Trucks with 18" wheel/tire from the factory have higher payload on the door tags.  This is also why 1 tons only came with 18" wheels 2011-2019.  

The 20"s are what hurt your payload.  The load index is 121 vs the stock 18" size that has 124 load index tires.  Trucks with 18" wheel/tire from the factory have higher payload on the door tags.  This is also why 1 tons only came with 18" wheels 2011-2019.  

I think he is only talking about broad weight limits.

It's not the 20's, it's the diesel...

You really can't tow a decently sized 5th wheel with a diesel 2500 - not enough payload. Now the 2020 trucks are a little different because they have a higher GVWR and much better payload when properly equipped.

My gas Denali only has a GVWR of 9500#, but my payload is 2560# - 400# more that the higher GVWR/Diesel. 

Also depends on 5er model - our Cougar 32BHS has a lighter pin weight of 1570#, so were good with stuff/gas and payload.

• Like 1

It's not the 20's, it's the diesel...

You really can't tow a decently sized 5th wheel with a diesel 2500 - not enough payload. Now the 2020 trucks are a little different because they have a higher GVWR and much better payload when properly equipped.

My gas Denali only has a GVWR of 9500#, but my payload is 2560# - 400# more that the higher GVWR/Diesel. 

Also depends on 5er model - our Cougar 32BHS has a lighter pin weight of 1570#, so were good with stuff/gas and payload.

I thought all 2500’s had a 10k lb gvwr I agree about the 2500. They are almost there... but not really

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some things never change.
My 03 Chevy 2500 HD LT ext.cab long bed Duramax had a payload of 1680. Sad.
I also had a 01 Chevy 2500HD LS single cab long bed 6.0 gasser that had a payload of 3300. That was a stout truck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk