Rear Window Defroster Recall (To Restore Functionality)

Just an FYI for everyone to get their trucks to the dealer to get this done, I don't know about my friends south of the border but it's fully winter here and I miss my rear defrost. Also note that the recall # and repair may differ for anyone in the States as this applies Canadian trucks only.

Mods, feel free to Sticky this if you feel it warrants that.

GM Program #:

N192270330

Date Issued:

Nov 08, 2019

Program Title:

Rear Window Defroster Thermal Events

Program Description:

Certain 2014-2019 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a power sliding rear window (RPO A48) had safety recall #N192220470 performed. This field action restores the rear window defrost function.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the buss bar covers and the contact cover, and for certain vehicles, will reprogram the HVAC calibration to disable the rear defroster from automatically turning on at keyed start. Please note that the rear defroster will automatically turn on during remote start or by pushing the manual button and is not affected by this calibration. If the rear window or sliding glass assembly appears damaged due to an occurrence of high electrical resistance on the rear defroster circuit, they will also be replaced. Dealers will also install the rear defroster fuse that was previously removed in field action # N192220470.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Have you had the work done?  Mine melted the plastic cover on the fingers that contact the outside window frame to give power to the center glass defrost circuit.  I tried soldering it back on and I don't know what solder they used but nothing I tried would stick.  It actually blew one set of the fingers off and took the plastic cover with it when it failed lol.  The fingers are all blued so they were not making good contact.  Truthfully I like to drive with the rear glass just cracked open  so that probably contributed to it although I never turn the defroster on... truck does that on it's own and I can't disable it for remote starts.  You can see the cover I mean in the bottom right hand corner of the middle glass.  

I'm curious what their repairs look like lol.  I'm fine with mine never working again as I do not use my rear window to look out of but if it's not a total butcher job I may go get the recall completed.

Edited by SierraHD17

Have you had the work done?  Mine melted the plastic cover on the fingers that contact the outside window frame to give power to the center glass defrost circuit.  I tried soldering it back on and I don't know what solder they used but nothing I tried would stick.  It actually blew one set of the fingers off and took the plastic cover with it when it failed lol.  The fingers are all blued so they were not making good contact.  Truthfully I like to drive with the rear glass just cracked open  so that probably contributed to it although I never turn the defroster on... truck does that on it's own and I can't disable it for remote starts.  You can see the cover I mean in the bottom right hand corner of the middle glass.  

I'm curious what their repairs look like lol.  I'm fine with mine never working again as I do not use my rear window to look out of but if it's not a total butcher job I may go get the recall completed.
No I have not had the work done yet. Do you have pictures of your rear window? I'd love to see the carnage lol

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Anyone have this work done, I just got the recall done and the work order says 1 22917202 25300 fuse, 1 84819605 164640 window, 1 84819606 164640 window.  Performed recall, replaced rear bus bar covers, terminal covers and fues. Verified heat damage not present.  HVAC programming not applicable.

The issue is that it rained like crazy last night and this morning my entire headliner along the back window from side to side was completely soaked.

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2020 at 10:35 AM, AGW said:

Anyone have this work done, I just got the recall done and the work order says 1 22917202 25300 fuse, 1 84819605 164640 window, 1 84819606 164640 window.  Performed recall, replaced rear bus bar covers, terminal covers and fues. Verified heat damage not present.  HVAC programming not applicable.

The issue is that it rained like crazy last night and this morning my entire headliner along the back window from side to side was completely soaked.

How long did this service take?

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had the rear glass shatter after having the recall completed? I have a 2017 2500 that had the recall completed in July 2020 and the rear glass just shattered. The dealer says it's not covered under the recall.